Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Geometry

Options
  • 12-04-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

hey there,
    I've been cycling my MTB on the road for a few years now, and it's served me well. However, I've been thinking about getting a road bike as I would like to do some long (50 - 60 mile) jaunts.

One thing that confuses me is the geometry of them.
    Some have flat top tubes (i.e. not angled back or forward), whereas others are sloped either forwards or backwards.

I'm quite tall, so can anyone recommend a particular bike/style?

I don't plan to do any racing, it's just for my own enjoyment.

Pricewise, I'm talking over 1000eur, but less than 2000eur

thanks for reading!

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Your height won't really have an influence on the frame geometry per se, as once you get the correct sized frame the geometry, i.e. sloped or straight (ultra compact/compact/classic), doesn't really matter and is pretty much down to personal aesthetic preference. Pretty much all of last years LaPierre models for example had sloped or compact geometry, whereas a lot of their new model are straight across.

It is vital that you get a correctly sized frame and if you go to any of the big shops in Dublin they will size you up on a frame and also make any necessary modifications, in terms of saddle and handlebar rotation, or flipping over the stem, depending on your reach etc. Even if you don't intend to buy from them, you'll get a good pointer as to the right frame size and modifications you need to make, as they are pretty thorough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

sloped frames are supose to be stronger and good for people who are heavy.

Advertisement