Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

All those jeeps.

• 12-04-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Why does everone in business seem to a drive a jeep or 4x4? I'm presuming it has something to do with tax breaks or vrt or diesel vat. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cue round 3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Bigger the car bigger the wallet.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

If its a commercial vehicle then the VRT is only 50 euro so consequently the price is much lower. Tax relief can also be claimed either as a capital allowance or lease payment write off. VAT on Diesel may also be reclaimed if the business is VAT registered. How did you arrive at the conclusion that "everyone" in business drives a jeep/4x4? I drive a peugeot expert van.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Nice one Tony. I'll have to dig a little deeper on this. Is there an official list of what 4x4s are classed commercial?
    Tony wrote:
    How did you arrive at the conclusion that "everyone" in business drives a jeep/4x4? I drive a peugeot expert van.
    I arrived at the conclusion with one of those unprecise but satisfactory sweeping generalisations. You should try them. They're clumsy but get the job done.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Please please stop referring to them as Jeeps unless they are actually made by Jeep.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Please please stop referring to them as Jeeps unless they are actually made by Jeep.:rolleyes:

Jeep is a generic term, like Hoover.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Anan1 wrote:
    Jeep is a generic term, like Hoover.;)

That's true, but which sucks the most?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Doesn't it depend on cubic inches of cargo space? My Dad had an ould Renault 18 Estate that was officially classified as a commercial vehicle because of the amount of cargo space it had. This was back in the eighties, though. Might be different now.

frobisher wrote:
    That's true, but which sucks the most?

It's a close call.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're a sole trader, or a tradesman, a 4X4 commercial can double as a work vehicle, and a car. something you won't really get away with in a van

• Advertisement

frobisher wrote:

I arrived at the conclusion with one of those unprecise but satisfactory sweeping generalisations. You should try them. They're clumsy but get the job done.:D

LOL:D

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you're a sole trader, or a tradesman, a 4X4 commercial can double as a work vehicle, and a car. something you won't really get away with in a van

Agreed, since my work is quite different now to when i bough the expert van 5 yrs ago I'm now considering changing to a 4 x4 with decent tool space that i can use as a car also.

frobisher wrote:
    Nice one Tony. I'll have to dig a little deeper on this. Is there an official list of what 4x4s are classed commercial?

I think almost all are available in commercial format IE rear seats removed, side windows blacked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Hey belive it or not theres a thread all ready for you to post in lookRant and rave thread

Go and stop taking up space.

Hey belive it or not theres a thread all ready for you to post in lookRant and rave thread

Go and stop taking up space.

Did you actually read this thread at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    Did you actually read this thread at all?

Mustn't have, because there is neither ranting nor raving present...

I agree a 4x4 is a great option for a tradesman who also wants something for the weekends and can live without rear seats.

ok, what about a tradesman who fits bullbars to his 4X4

(cue ranting & raving!)

Look, over the past 2 weeks there been at least 2 other threads on the subject all about 3/4 pages long, my point is just look back and tag it on to the end of one of the threads.Theres no need to go and create a new thread on something which has already been discused in detail, that was my point.

As regards to a-bars if your going to be hit by a 2.5 tonne landcruiser your pretty much fecked, the lesson is to look before you walk across the road.
    Plus an a-bar gives you a place to mount spot lights

What's your A-bar of choice Knife fighter, I used to like the Cobra one, but I'm now leaning to the Maxe one. you know the one with "Land Cruiser" cut out of the front.
    1001small.gif

Here's one for a Scenic, if you want to piss people off but can't afford a Jeep.
    renaultscenic-nudgebar.jpg

Look, over the past 2 weeks there been at least 2 other threads on the subject all about 3/4 pages long, my point is just look back and tag it on to the end of one of the threads.Theres no need to go and create a new thread on something which has already been discused in detail, that was my point.

Only thing is, that's not what you said. Why anyone would want to contribute to a thread that they hadn't even bothered to read is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Just thought I would point out the JEEP was a design mandate, Just Enough Essential parts, which later became a company.

Just like Hummer is now a car company, HMMWV (Humvee or hummer) High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle.

Just some useless information I keep stored in my fairly empty head, and like to regurgitate from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just thought I would point out the JEEP was a design mandate, Just Enough Essential parts, which later became a company.
    FWIW, - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep#The_origin_of_the_term_jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Rovi wrote:

Nice link!

Back on topic:
    My current firm has 40 'vans' on the road for service and installation crews. The higher up in the hierarchy, usually, the better your vehicle. Only the installation managers have 4x4s, all the others have regular, actual vans.

So, in a nutshell, they're a status thing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are bull bars illegal though?

colm_mcm wrote:
    ok, what about a tradesman who fits bullbars to his 4X4

(cue ranting & raving!)

Not me for sure i think they are a terrible idea

I tend to go for the ones with the name cut out, then fit spotlights so you blind the person before you run them over. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Lex Luthor wrote:

Get over it man.... Jeep Jeep Jeep Jeep Jeep Jeep .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭Archeron

jeep jeep jeep jeep JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP JEEP.<head explodes>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Lex Luthor wrote:
    As a Land-Rover fan, I've given up banging my head against the wall on this one, and have learned to love and embrace the generic term 'jeep.'
    It does piss the utter anoraks off mightily though, which can only be a good thing IMO. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

frobisher wrote:
    Why does everyone in business seem to a drive a jeep or 4x4? I'm presuming it has something to do with tax breaks or vrt or diesel vat. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Ok here i go deep breath, rant on:

All you commercial registered BMW X5 , Lexus 4x4 , Landcruisers, with blacked out glass rear side windows, I can still see your back seats! (and in some cases baby seats attached to same back seats)

Don't you think that a Garda will see those seats also and one day stop you and ask you why your vehicle has commercial road tax 254 instead of 1300 for 3 litre private road tax? Or why don’t you have NCT cert on you car if its 4 years old?

This is the real reason imho ,there's more 4X4's on the road, cheaper road tax.
    Rant off.

Before you all go crazy and reply back, NOT all 4x4's are private, most are commercial with no seats and seat belts in the back and some are cab crews which have seats but can also be used commercially.

Advertisement