Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Arsenal

• 12-04-2006 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Its a must win for Arsenal tonight as this is thier game in hand over Spurs. While Portsmouth can get clear of the relegation zone with a win so it should be well contested (that or both teams will be scared to conceed).

Pompey for an upset?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is Sol in for Senderos or who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lemlin wrote:
    Is Sol in for Senderos or who?

Yeah it's Sol. Toure was the one who could have done with a rest though, strange decision if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Some of their players are looking good. They didn't look like relegation candidates on Saturday, Bellamy's performance notwithstanding.

D'Allessandro down the left seems to be working too. Don't know if they've a good enough striker though.

Mwaruwaru is poor, while LuaLua isn;t consistent enough.

Some of their players are looking good. They didn't look like relegation candidates on Saturday, Bellamy's performance notwithstanding.

D'Allessandro down the left seems to be working too. Don't know if they've a good enough striker though.

Mwaruwaru is poor, while LuaLua isn;t consistent enough.

Lua Lua looks like he's coming good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tough one to call. Arsenal have a good record against Pompey. I'll go for Arsenal to edge it 2-1.
    I'm actually wondering what I should watch between this and the FA Cup replay.
    LuaLua isn;t consistent enough.
    I think he's been one of their best players this season. Every time I see him play now I'm amazed at the effort he puts in, after the tragic death of his baby son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Lemlin wrote:
    Lua Lua looks like he's coming good to me.

He's talented, I'll agree, and has great strength, see his goal against Blackburn, but I'm not sure if he's consistent enough yet, or if he's got the finishing skills to truly be a top-class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Tough one to call. Arsenal have a good record against Pompey. I'll go for Arsenal to edge it 2-1.
    I'm actually wondering what I should watch between this and the FA Cup replay.

I think he's been one of their best players this season. Every time I see him play now I'm amazed at the effort he puts in, after the tragic death of his baby son.

I actually only read about that in the paper today. what a man! fair play.!!

Really even game so far. Diaby(sp?) is having a very good game in the middle, he has an excellent first touch and good control.

I'd switch over to Charlton Boro if I was you. Its 2-1 now!

Lemlin wrote:
    I'd switch over to Charlton Boro if I was you. Its 2-1 now!
    I paid for Prem Plus, I'm gonna get my money's worth! ;)

1-0 Arsenal half time. Henry, who else!
    Quality goal though, although could have been prevented. Sean Davis dwelled on the ball and got dispossessed by Henry. After a slick one-two with Adebayor he was in on Kiely, and slid it past him with ease. Should be 2-0 though, Adebayor missed what might be sitter of the season from an Arsenal break.
    Campbell has been playing well in his first game back, although I wonder how long he'll stay out there. Surely he'll be getting a little tired, and you don't want to be marking Lua Lua if you're only half-fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

while LuaLua isn;t consistent enough.

Consistent enough to get an equaliser!

I think he'd be more suited to role on the left side of midfield though, he's pacy and tricky as hell with a great centre of gravity. I'd love to see him at Spurs.

Play on Pompey, Pompey play on!

Is Lua Lua badly injured? I see from BBC that he was taken off with an injury.

Game over, 1-1.

Get in!

Looks like Pompey are staying up. I knew the 'Harry' factor would kick in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Go Pompey!!

Cracking game! The Pompey crowd really make every game feel like a cup final, there was shouting from start to finish. Fair result, Portsmouth gave as good as they got.
    Arsenal really paid the price for missed chances. Not just missed chances, but missed sitters. I mentioned Adebayor's in the first half, well, he had just as easy a chance in the second half. Free header from a corner, not 4 yards out. There were plenty of others as well.
    Pompey were full of fight and it was a shame that Lua Lua went off injured. It was a great goal, superb whipped free kick from D'Alassandor and equally superb glancing header. He injured himself on the landing apparently, and aggrevated it by doing his celebration. About 3 minutes previously, Harry Redknapp had taken off Benjani for Todorov, so with Lua Lua coming off he had no more options up top and had to revert back to 4-5-1, bringing on Richard Hughes. Shame, because Lua Lua was causing problems all night and it would have been an interesting finish had he stayed on.
    Sol Campbell had a good game, but typical of his season, it ended badly. He sustained a pretty bad cut above his eye in the first half, which was patched up with a medical glue. Towards the end of the second half he went into an ariel challenge with Todorov and thrust his head into Todorov's back. At first I thought he opened his head-wound again, but when the camera panned on him you could see blood gushing from his nose. Really unlucky.

Overall though, good game and probably a fair result. Spurs keep 4 points between themselves and Arsenal, Arsenal now level on points with Blackburn (I think) and all have played the same amount of games? It's well poised I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

well thats that then. Spurs back in the driving seat

even if Arsenal beat them in the derby they are a point ahead (assuming both teams win all games beforehand)

Mossy Monk wrote:

even if Arsenal beat them in the derby they are a point ahead (assuming both teams win all games beforehand)

Arsenal's run-in is still easier (on paper) but then who'd have thought they'd only get 1 point from their last two games.

They could still win the CL and render fourth place pretty useless too.

Lemlin wrote:
    They could still win the CL and render fourth place pretty useless too.

While it's probably a bit unusual for a Spurs Fan (always liked the London Clubs - except Chelsea), I actually quite like Arsenal and have to say I really enjoy watching Henry play, as he's an outstanding player.

However, I think I could certainly turn to having a vitriolic hatred if Spurs were to finish 4th, only to lose out on a Champions League spot as a result of Arsenal winning the CL. I'm kinda hoping the make it to the final, and lose.

I'd be more willing to accept if they were to beat us fair and square to fourth place, which I still think is a goer, given Spurs last few games include Man U, Arsenal and Bolton.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mossy Monk wrote:

I'd say Man U will do ye a favour on monday

Aquos76 wrote:
    I'd say Man U will do ye a favour on monday

I'm not sure about that. Spurs have only lost once at home all season AFAIK.

Well, I wouldn't be cocky enough to say for definate that United will win at WHL, but Spurs' current form hasn't been their best. I think they were playing better when they got the point at OT.

Well, I wouldn't be cocky enough to say for definate that United will win at WHL, but Spurs' current form hasn't been their best. I think they were playing better when they got the point at OT.

That's certainly true, and Man U would be on a better run of form in all honesty.

Still, the table does not lie, only 1 loss at WHL so far this year. I'd take a draw from this one.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sure Man U are on a roll and we always like going to WHL. Over that last couple of seasons we have had a great record against spurs.

At White Hart Lane

2001/2002 Spurs 3 Man U 5
    2002/2003 Spurs 0 Man U 2
    2003/2004 Spurs 1 Man U 2
    2004/2005 Spurs 0 Man U 1
    2005/2006

And at Old Trafford

2001/2002 Man U 4 Spurs 0
    2002/2003 Man U 1 Spurs 0
    2003/2004 Man U 3 Spurs 0
    2004/2005 Man U 0 Spurs 0 This was the one with the goal that never was!
    2005/2006 Man U 1 Spurs 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

United will beat Spurs at the Lane

I hope they do if Blackburn are to keep up their push for Europe but I can see Spurs getting at least a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

They are a good side, no doubting that, but I just feel that the way United are going, there is no stopping them. Giggs back to great form, Rooney on fire, I just cannot see them dealing with it. My only fear would be Davids coming back into the side and playing O'Shea out of the game which could well happen and would possibly swing the game towards a draw. United need to keep tabs on Carrick too.

besty wrote:
    United will beat Spurs at the Lane

If you firmly believe that, then run yourself down to the bookies, and put your house on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hoping for a win, probably be a draw, but wouldnt be too upset if we lost.

know what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I expect United to beat them, but it isn't actually that bad for them. Arsenal dropping points against Portsmouth has pretty much guarenteed them 4th spot.

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal dropping points against Portsmouth has pretty much guarenteed them 4th spot.
    Well I wouldn't go quite that far, but it certainly means it's theirs to lose.

PHB wrote:
    I expect United to beat them, but it isn't actually that bad for them. Arsenal dropping points against Portsmouth has pretty much guarenteed them 4th spot.

Nonsense.

If Spurs lose to ManYoo we pratically hand 4th place to Arsenal on a plate. Assuming they win against WBA @ Highbury and we beat Everton @ Goodison, the gap will be 4 points going into Monday's game (@ WHL against ManYoo). Lose that and we're 4 clear but they have a game in hand and still have to play us at Highbury. Only Arsenal's away form gives me any comfort, but I seriously believe Spurs need at least a point against ManYoo to have any chance of 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I still think it all rests on the derby at Highbury. Spurs and Arse have both dropped points in other games, but Arsenal's run-in is slightly more favourable, so I expect them to at least cut the gap from 4 points to that which would make the Highbury game decisive. Purely in terms of morale if nothing else, that game is critical.

On the surface Spurs appear to have everything to lose - 4 points clear as things stand, and even by the time they play Arsenal they'll probably still only need a point to stay out of reach of the Gunners. But at Highbury that's easier said than done, and we have a fantastic record at home against Tottenham.

P.S. I reckon Man U will get a draw at the lane, which still wouldn't be a bad result for Hotspur.

Advertisement