Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help identifying components of the engine for the test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Bearing in mind that that's the first time (literally) I've seen under the bonnet of a colt, A would be the brake fluid reservoir, B the clutch fluid reservoir (master cyclinder I think, always get the master & slave confused :p ).

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Thanks mmenarry, so the brake fluid reservoir is usally bigger than the clutch fluid reservoir?

I think I have all the reservoirs now:

Power steering
    Oil
    Window water
    Brake fluid
    Clutch fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mmenarry wrote:
    Bearing in mind that that's the first time (literally) I've seen under the bonnet of a colt, A would be the brake fluid reservoir, B the clutch fluid reservoir (master cyclinder I think, always get the master & slave confused :p ).

M.
    Your quite correct (I've never even looked under the bonnet of a Colt).
    FYI the master cylinder is always the one where mechanical action is FIRST changed to hydraulic action. The slave cylinder simply magnifies the hydraulic force of the master cylinder and usually (in a car) operates the component - clutch fork, brake piston/cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you could tippex initials in tiny writing on them...... not too obviously though

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

colm_mcm wrote:
    you could tippex initials in tiny writing on them...... not too obviously though

Why not? I think the point of the test is that you can identify them -- whether that is because you've marked on them what they are or not should be immaterial.

On my car, the caps on everything say what it is. In English, French and Japanese. They couldn't mark me down for that, could they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

bounty wrote:
    Thanks mmenarry, so the brake fluid reservoir is usally bigger than the clutch fluid reservoir?

Generally, yes. Think about it logically:
    -The brake pedal has to move 4 brakes sufficiently enough to force the brake pads to grip (assuming discs all round, but similar action in drum brakes)
    -Clutch only has to engage/disengage the clutch itself

More movement physically involved in the brakes, therefore more fluid (and larger reservoir) needed.

That's basically how I could tell the two apart in your photo. Colt isn't exactly a powerhouse, so doesn't have to do much work with the clutch.

There are, of course exceptions (think high powered cars with high powered clutches) - but for your test, that's all you have to think about.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Yep, brake and clutch reservoirs (respectively, from left to right as we look at them).

Think about it this way- of the two pedals inside the car, which is closer to the centre of the car?
    A: The clutch pedal.
    So, the clutch fluid reservoir is the one closest to the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

woot! i passed

and these questions came up, he asked me to point out all 5 reservoirs, and explain how to check the oil, thanks again for your help guys

i done mine in athlone, the guy was much nicer than the bollox i got in rathgar

now to sell this colt, and buy a bmw coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Congratulations.
    However, I find it interesting that you are expected to know all this stuff, what difference does it make to your driving ability?.

You look into some engine bays these days, MB for example and there is a great big cover over the whole lot, cannot tell it if has an engine or gerbils under there, let alone tell where their seeds are fed in.

and I see your "710" cap is upside down. :D

Advertisement