Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Portable power packs

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

Are portable power packs (e.g. this thing) any good? I'm having some problems with my battery at the moment, and I'd like the peace of mind of being able to jump where-ever I am. Also, any idea if can they be used to recharge the battery itself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

I have that exact one (about €60-65 here, IIRC)

Very handy. Can't recharge a battery with it, but I have the challenge battery charger as well.

Having said that, 60 quid should get you a new battery as well, but they are very handy - I bought it when my battery was giving me jip, but I've had occasion to use it a good few times tince - mainly on other peoples cars, and it is good. Charge-started 3 cars in a row once without any bother. It's also got a handy lead so that once you have the car going again, you can charge it driectly from the cigarette socket, ready to rock again!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

Yeah, these things are worth the cash - kust make sure the leads are good and long and will reach your battery and the clamps are good quality.
    You can get ones that have a compressor (if you have a flat, it will get you to a safe spot) and a socket to allow to connect an electrical item that can run off a car battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Those things are a gift, My father has a transit van (company owned) and it has got two new batteries in the last 6 months. The flipping thing won't start any morning after the night goes down near freezing. Every morning throughout the Winter he has had to start it on Jumper Leads of the Diesel Family Car. The company won't fix it as they've used up three times the van yearly quota in 6 months. Plus they are paying €125 a week in Diesel for it so it has been that way since Jan 05! Sometimes the battery won't swing it even when connected to the Diesel Car. Then He has to borrow a power pack of a neighbour who runs a garage. I'd advise anyone to get one of these even though I don't own one myself!

Advertisement