Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you like yours?

Options
  • 12-04-2006 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

just something ive discovered lately. i used to be a diehard comic collector in terms of getting individual issues of a title versus a trade paperback of the book. mainly due to a lack of desire to wait months to get a fix of my latest read. however with money being tight i dropped loads of titles and trimmed my collection down to 3 or 4 titles . indeed now i even pass over "events" unless its something i really want (case in point "house of M"). I thought that be all she wrote untill i was surfing play.com and realised that the trades of titles i dropped tended to be half what i wouldve paid if i collected em individually:eek: indeed thanks to the length of time between releases it actually works out cheaper and more convenient (as in i can actually save up the money by the time they come out :D ) for me

so my question is

do you collect individual issues, or are you a trade man?

i should point out there are still titles i'll always collect as individual issues,still need that monthly fix:D, but im interested to know which way most of us are getting our books now and is the single issue comic on the way out because its so damned expensive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

im a trade man myself. I cant deal with the pure bulk of having single issues laying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I'm a monthlies man myself. I do pick up a fair few trades these days, but they're mainly to get up to speed on series I've only started collecting in the last while, or classic tales I've never read before.

I don't mind doing the monthlies thing, it does work out more expensive, but with online stores like midtown coics, the savings on graphic novels are marginal, and I hate having to wait months to read a full story.

Plus I only read titles I REALLY want to read. So i don't mind paying for them monthly, and I just lvoe the collecting aspect.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I'm a mix of the two (probably like most people)

I too have cut back on the monthlies, was just spending too much cash on them, and put a moratorium on alternative covers unless there are two insanely good covers...but thats fairly rare, that said I was never buying every alternate cover on the stand, just the odd one...but it's ridiculous, a real cash cow.

(I'm pretty annoyed with IDW publishing and the fact that they are releasing 4 covers every month for their Transformers:Infiltration story, Dreamwave did the same thing and it made them quite unpopular. )

Despite cutting back on the monthlies though I do need to get my regular fix, and its difficult to wait 6 months for a story to be completed and the tpb to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'm neither really, I don't keep up to date with current happenings in comics or follow any titles. I prefer to go back in time and get a continuity of a title from the 80s/90s which works out as great value and once the story is new to me, it doesn't matter how long ago it was released.

It's true that there's nothing like having a full story in original comic form but in terms of easy to read and indeed nice to have, a good TPB is yer only man.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I'm a mix as well. I have been cutting back on the monthlies, as it was getting a little bit crazy. The current Image policy with 'The Walking Dead' and a couple of others helps as well - the trades come out the month after the last issue covered was published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Depends. I only get one comic a month (Dark Horse's Conan). Ok, two: Dynamite's Red Sonya as well. It would be silly not to collect them ALL after all these years.

I will go for a classic Silver Age Marvel if I see a decent price/condition but that's not what you're asking.

Everthing else is TPBs: why pay more? Also I don't have the room to store masses of individual issues!

I got loads of Marvel's Exiles in TPB last year: outstanding and you don't have to wait till the next issue.

Advertisement