Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santander fined for Etoo abuse

• 12-04-2006 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/4903640.stm
    Racing Santander have been fined by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) after a group of fans subjected Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o to racist abuse on Sunday.

The RFEF did not reveal the size of the fine, but under current disciplinary rules it it expected to be around $3,000.

"I can't confirm the sum but article 125 [of the Spanish federation's statutes] rated the incident as serious," said an RFEF spokesman.

Under the application of that article, the maximum fine would normally be $3,300.

Referee Antonio Rubinos Perez mentioned the abuse in his report on the match at El Sardinero, saying that the Cameroon international had been met with monkey chanting when he touched the ball.

He then asked the club to make an announcement over the public address system calling for the fans to show respect towards the players.

Eto'o, who scored Barcelona's second goal in the 2-2 draw, was subjected to further abuse as the game continued.

The Barca striker tried to leave the pitch after being racially abused by Real Zaragoza fans in February .

Zaragoza were fined over $10,000 as a result of the incident.

Well done FIFA the clampdown begins.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Zaragoza were fined over $10,000 as a result of the incident

for a football club playing in a top flight league, $10,000 is nothing.

500,000 and a 3 point deduction would be more than fair

then 1,000,000 and 6 point deduction if it happens again. and keep on doubling it until it stops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Another derisory and pathetic fine for such a serious offence in the Spanish game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Simple way to stop racist abuse.

Lets say there is a racist chant during a Utd match at old trafford, Rooney and RVN walk off the pitch and refuse to play, problem solved immediately. All top players should take this attitude.

3000 is pathetic, as was the fine in the henry reyes scenario last year, when are fifa going to do something more effective than selling little yellow rubber bands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Racism in football is more of an issue than many of us imagine. It often reflects social trends and mindsets and gives these bigots an international forum to spread their poison. FIFA and UEFA have no excuses. Any sanction necessary should be enforced until this cowardice is erradicated from the "beautiful" game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did anyone see this incident where Etoo broke down crying and tried to walk off the pitch? He grabbed a Zaragoza defender by the arm and point at his skin (he was also black) he eventually got as far as the dugout where Rijkaard and the ref took 5 minutes to get him back on the pitch.

He then skinned 3 players on the right wing where the chants were coming from and whipped in a cross that Larsson scored from, next time he got the ball he got a peno. Game finished 2-0, was heading for 0-0 till the above started.

They should be deducted points, €3000 is nothing.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Deduct them 3000 points! :D

Seriously though, that fine is meaningless. Means nothing to big clubs, or even moderately sized clubs. Heavier fines, and penalties on the pitch will hit where it hurts.

The scum in the stands won't care if their club, paying players thousands upon thousands a week, get fined 3k. Its peanuts. Only be punishing the team by deducting points will the message get through. I can't see the other fans in the stadium standing idly by and watching these scum chant racist abuse if their club could get relegated, or miss out on Europe or be demoted a position because of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is an absolute joke. Only a couple of weeks ago FIFA came out and said that they were going to clamp down hard on racist abuse. Sure 3k is absolutely nothing to a top flight club!

The only way to punish a team is to deduct them three points and make them play their next home game behind closed doors for every time racist abuse happens. Thi way the team will suffer bcause of the points deduction and the club will lose money from playing their games behind closed dors. Its the only way to cut this out. Its never gonna stop if the current level of punishment continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

besty wrote:
    Another derisory and pathetic fine for such a serious offence in the Spanish game.

Keyword: pathetic.
    It truly is. Just like fining Chelsea, a multi-billion pound-backed team, a fine of, what was it...10grand, for tapping Ashlety Cole? Laughable!
    Fine they're following through on the principals of it but you have to give it some weight. So like another person said give a high fine and deduct points. Losing points and thus standings in the league table even these morons can follow that.
    I saw the Zaragoza game and found it sickening what they did. And just to prove they are morons Eto'o took one of the Zaragoza players by the arm and pointed to his skin to demonstrate their hypocrisy that the Zaragoza team has black players too. You can't get more stupid than that really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

3k. Joke. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

3 grand? That is, as everyone above me already said, pathetic. Eto'o must be going mad.
    Rio Ferdinand was slated last month for saying he doesn't think enough punishments are being dished out for these types of incident. Well, when you see a little slap on the wrist, nothing-punishment like this you can understand his remarks.
    What were the Spanish FA fined when SWP and Ashley Cole were abused during the friendly last year? Or when Luis Aragones made racist remarks towards Henry?
    FIFA should punish the Spanish FA for thinking 3k is anywhere near sufficient.

• Advertisement

3 grand? That is, as everyone above me already said, pathetic. Eto'o must be going mad.

I would imagine hes going all right and when he leaves im sure he will mention this as why, this would never happen in England. I know English fans get a bad rep but anytime i have seen anyone say anything racist even in anger they usually chucked out. Its also frowned upon enough in the media to ensure it be a while before we see Big Ron on tv anytime soon.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

home games behind closed doors and no away match allocation for a season should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Garret wrote:
    home games behind closed doors and no away match allocation for a season should do the trick

Read an article about this in Time today. I was absolutely disgusted... I've never ever felt so bad for a football player. If this was happening here on this level, I'd be ashamed to call myself Irish.

NoelRock wrote:
    If this was happening here on this level, I'd be ashamed to call myself Irish.

It does happen like anyhwere in the world, at a recent Pats game a father with young boys felt it hilarious for the kids to call Rutherford a "N word" i had my kids with me in the stand and asked a steward to sort it, the steward got another steward who asked them to shut up or leave.

Every ground in every league this happens its what WE do to stop it that matters.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

KdjaC wrote:
    its what WE do to stop it that matters.

kdjac

Apparantly the less an association or government does to stop it, the less UEFA will act. Look at the utterly bizarre decision by UEFA

Apparantly the less an association or government does to stop it, the less UEFA will act. Look at the utterly bizarre decision by UEFA

I meant we as fans, like if you hate racists as much as me you would have the balls to tell them to stfu, dont think anyon expects uefa to anything with thsi problem as some of the member states like Spain allow it.

kdjac

Advertisement