Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong IP being assigned to my 2nd PC from Router!!

Options
  • 13-04-2006 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey lads. Just 2 days ago my PC upstairs at home stopped working in the middle of browsing. All of a sudden it just stopped. I at first thought it was the connection gone down or router gone wrong (i seemed to have that happen a bit and had to reinstall it a few times to work upstairs). I had a look at the IP being assinged by the router and it was waaay off from wot it shudda been. normally the last digit is just 1 more than the PC downstairs but this was completely different It brought up 169.254.255.129 which is nowhere near wot it was b4 and wot the downsatairs one is. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G. Ive tried rebooting it, restoring factory settings and firmware upgrades but that PC still wont work eventhough the one im on now does. Anyone got any suggestions? Could it be a virus? I had a trojan pop up 4 days ago or so but it was put into quarantine. Can anyone help, its driving me mad. I also tried pinging google and net1 (my net provider) but it cant reach them! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Have you tried manual IP address assignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

"169.254.255.129 " is self assigned by the pc- ie it can't get an address off the router? Can you "see" the wireless network?

jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

sorry i shudda said, its not wireless, its connected by cable but ive done a test on the cable with something my father gave me to check if it was snagged and it shows up all clear!! Also the distance is under 100m so i dont think i need a speedbooster. It worked fine for 3 months anyway!

Karoma wrote:
    Have you tried manual IP address assignment?
    As in write in all the details and not run thru the router. I could try that but that meas dragging down the PC to where the lead is coming from the wireless receiver. I'll try that maybe tomorrow evening

As in write in all the details and not run thru the router. I could try that but that meas dragging down the PC to where the lead is coming from the wireless receiver. I'll try that maybe tomorrow evening
    As in specifying the IP address (Unique, +1 to the previous machine), subnet mask, default gateway,etc. -> rather than relying on the router to specify them. Otherwise, the setup remains the same...?

On the computer which is working (Instructions,just in case...) .
    Open a command prompt (start->cmd)
    type in: ipconfig /all
    Scribble the info down on a page and go upstairs.
    In Windows XP -> Start -> C. Panel -> network connections -> right-click on the network card -> properties -> left-click tcp/ip -> Properties -> Specifiy...

Make sure that the IP address is unique for the second machine. Otherwise, the details are the same as the working machine.

(As stated: the IP address which you're seeing is assigned by the computer - as such, ensure that the cables,etc are working OK...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've seen this happen a reasonably few time with Windows PC's using DHCP while other PC's worked fine. It always ended up being a problem with networking on Windows and not the router. It's been a long time but I think it ended up being spyware causing problems. Seeing as your second PC is working fine I'd definitely take a look at Windows.

I've seen this happen a reasonably few time with Windows PC's using DHCP while other PC's worked fine. It always ended up being a problem with networking on Windows and not the router. It's been a long time but I think it ended up being spyware causing problems.
    Aye.

Um,actually...OP:
    Ive tried rebooting it, restoring factory settings and firmware upgrades but that PC still wont work eventhough the one im on now does.
    Can you clarify which activity relates to which hardware?

oh sorry, i mean i did this to the router. Im gonna take the PC down to the main connection tomorrow when i get home and see if its one of the wires broken in the cable, heres hoping it is!

What should i look into in Windows, if i put in the Windows CD will it correct any mistakes there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

oh sorry, i mean i did this to the router. Im gonna take the PC down to the main connection tomorrow when i get home and see if its one of the wires broken in the cable, heres hoping it is!

What should i look into in Windows, if i put in the Windows CD will it correct any mistakes there?

Did you do as you were asked an manually assign an ip to the machine?

i havent been home since so ill try tomorrow

• Advertisement
Advertisement