Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[news] New Dublin Airport runway approved

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Cheers for the info, it's a shame really. With the new terminal and runway it is and ideal opportunity to make the entire airport A380 capable and somewhat future proof the whole enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,360 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The runway will be made capable of easy upgrade for the A380.
    Surely residents have a right to comment/object/complain if an enhancement project causes a change to their environment. They pre-date the enhancement. The issue of whether their view is ultimately ignored is another matter.
    Its been in the county development plan for 20-30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Victor wrote:
    The runway will be made capable of easy upgrade for the A380.Its been in the county development plan for 20-30 years.

Yes, since 1972.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Stimpyone wrote:
    Cheers for the info, it's a shame really. With the new terminal and runway it is and ideal opportunity to make the entire airport A380 capable and somewhat future proof the whole enterprise.

Just did a quick bit of research there and in fact they can get it in and out of Dublin but I'm sure it would be performance limited at it's higher weights. They brought it up to Iqaluit in north Canada where the runway length is almost identical to the existing runway in Dublin (~2600m). Again lack of resources to handle the aircraft once it's on the ground is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

The new runway 10Left\28Right is, according to google going to be 3110 meters long and 60 meters wide. Google says an A380 can take off or land in only 2800 meters, better performace than a 747? You could get an A380 down tomorrow at Dublin but I don't think you'd be able park it anywhere :D .

I was listening to the director of Dublin Airport on the radio this morning talking to some dude from Portmarnock?

The DAA said that the new runway would be used primarly for departures and planes do climb out far steeper than they do when they're coming in to land so they should be quite high by the time they get to Portmarnock and with Ryanair rid of all its old junkers (the only airplane that used to bother me noise wise) it shouldn't be that bad? I've never found aircraft noise particularly bothersome but then I never lived under a flight path for an extended period.

Some of the stuff out of the Portmarnock Residents thing were a little far fetched though? It's in the national interest to build the new runway in a bog somewhere?

First, that just puts the noise problem over somebody elses head. They'll object and the runway won't get built. Second, A bog! Are they serious? They said the cost of the land was an issue but IIRC Aerrianta bought all the land they need for the new runway decades ago when they wanted to built it. Even if they hadn't.. buying a bunch of land around the airport fence (where nobody wants to live anyway) has got to be cheaper than building a runway that will sit on a bog (even if they got the bog for free). And that's before you build a passenger terminal, a shed load of carparks, a few office blocks, some motorways and other major road and rail links to support this new runway. Mad.

We need runways, terminals, motorways, metros and all that jazz in this country and we need them all ten years ago. They're damn cool, they make it easier for us to get around it gives us something to do (I'm biased, I'm in the construction industry*).

*Worse still I'm loving this prision, sewerplant, runway, port business because if it actually all does drive house prices down, I might actually be able to afford one within a reasonable distance of the city. I'm fully entrenched in Swords at the moment and have no desire to commute from Kildare to North County Dublin. But it won't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭jlang

Issues with the A380 are more related to the rest of the aircraft facilites than the runway. The routes from Dublin aren't likely to be the kind of routes that would use an A380. It's designed for long haul from between two congested airports where loadings would be extremely high and slots at a premium : think Heathrow->JFK or Hong Kong->Tokyo. An occasional charter for freight maybe would be the extent of it for us as Irish long haul passenger routes would be better served by 777 or the coming A350. Think how Aer Lingus transitioned to large Airbuses when the time came to renew the Jumbos.

As for the poor people in Portmarnock - a good half of their houses were built in the last 10 years and if they didn't hear about the airport up the road and how congested it was getting, more fool them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Go drinking in any of the towns surrounding the airport. Every second person you meet works in the airport in some capacity. Everything from pilots to people who work in the spar up there. =]

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Jeez!, I hope they're NOT drinking, while on duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

From memory (that A380 documentary on Discovery!) the aircraft is equipped with 4 of the most powerful passenger aircraft engines in the world (Rolls Royce Trent series) so presumably this makes for shorter take off requirements.

I actually think Dublin could take a lead in transatlantic hub flights from all over Europe to North America. Why not afterall?

murphaph wrote:
    I actually think Dublin could take a lead in transatlantic hub flights from all over Europe to North America. Why not afterall?

(a) Aircraft can now fly Europe - North America without stopping.
    (b) Thats Shannon's job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

11/29 is used by Aer Arann I understand. 11/29 will be extended but also realigned to avoid convergence with 10/28.

As for the 380, the major issues airport have with it are not runway but taxiways due to the overhang of the wide wingspan. A380 is due to be less stressful on a runway than a 777-300 due to more wheels. I doubt you would ever see one in DUB except for charters for the European cup or something (to take Dublin based Munster supporters :D )

dowlingm wrote:
    11/29 is used by Aer Arann I understand. 11/29 will be extended but also realigned to avoid convergence with 10/28.
    No, 11/29 will be removed completely, it only overlaps partially with the new 10/28.

Some drawings from the old website. I have the PDF brochure also if anyone wants me to e-mail it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Victor wrote:
    No, 11/29 will be removed completely, it only overlaps partially with the new 10/28.

you know, having written that prev post in haste I regretted it at leisure :D

Not to worry. :D

Advertisement