Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Central Heating

Options
  • 13-04-2006 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Saw an old 3 bedroomed house last night that's needs doing up.

It's got no central heating though.
    Could anyone tell me roughly how much this might cost?

It's got 3 beds, a bathroom, a kitchen, a dining room & a sitting room.
    I'd say one rad in each room would be enough as the rooms are that big.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AFAIK - Bord Gais have an offer for first time installations - it might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

Hi Frash,

We moved into a similar house last August and had to install oil central heating, unfortunately no mains gas in the area and lpg is just too expensive. Got 4 plumbers around to price the job, only 2 came back with quotes - E7,800 and E6,200. We went with the cheaper quote as the plumber had installed the gas central heating in my sisters house, so I knew both he and his workers were reliable and trustworthy.

Price also included a new insulated immersion tank, larger than the one the replaced, as we also had a power shower installed (also included in the price).

We have concrete floors, so that price did not include lifting floor boards etc, although the pipes are well hidden.

You would have to shop around, but our main problem was finding plumbers willing to do the job, they all seem booked months in advance.

Jonno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Thanks for the replies

€6,200 isn't too bad.
    I'll check out the gas option too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

I did something similar. Got new gas boiler, rads, shower, tank for 5900. Could only get one guy to agree to do the job, a month in advance and (coincidentally) he was the cheapest. Alarm bells should have rung. All the others were booked up, for 2 months. Biggest mistake I made. Leaks all over the gaff, gas and water, meant I rid to take back up floors dig out the walls etc. Really not nice. Don't focus on the price of the plumbing work. Go for someone recommended by someone you trust, or failing that, a large company of plumbers. The quote might be higher, but it'll save you money in the long run. If plumbing goes wrong it'll really screw up the schedule.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

That doesn't sound good patrickolee!

I might contact Board Gais & use one of their apporved contractors.
    It's early days anyway as I don't even own the house yet! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement