Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Access in Donegal

Options
  • 13-04-2006 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi folks.

Thinking of moving to donegal [letterkenny] soon. Just wondering what the story is with BBand access. Are there alternatives to Eircom? I'd prefer NTL but can't find out about availibility on the site and can't be arsed waiting for ages on the freefone number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

I'm outside of Letterkenny, well, a good bit outside Letterkenny.. I'm in burnfoot with no mention of Broadband here any time soon but i'm nearly sure that Letterkenny has Ntl bb. Hopefully for you, they'll have it, I've been waiting for even basic Bb here 2 years.. i'm still stuck on dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Letterkenny has bb alright. Eircom, BtIreland, Smart are the ones that I know of. If you do a trawl back through a few of the posts in the NW forum I think you will find a few more details.

Im sure a couple of other people will post here and let you know what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Gareth - I've a friend in the new housing estates behind the One Foot Inn, and her phone number comes up as being suitable (eircom).

In answer to the OP, Buncrana is broadband-enabled (DSL and Wireless through www.nwewn.com), as is Carndonagh and Moville. I can't speak for anywhere outside Inishowen. No hope of getting it where I live (Clonmany), despite the large population in the area, which is more than Carndonagh, it's more spread out than other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

OP, have a look at this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=169756

The plan for Donegal is to have broadband in all towns with a population over 1500. Letterkenny is well covered and it is available in various other towns like Lifford, Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Donegal, Ballyshannon, Bundoran etc, not forgetting the towns in Inishowen that have already been mentioned. (Apologies if I have omitted some towns here.) A lot of it depends on distance from the local exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

smashey wrote:
    A lot of it depends on distance from the local exchange.

The guy from eircom quoted a 3 mile radius from an exchange as the threshold for access.

That's awesome.

Thanks all - I'll defo be up so :)

B

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Also, Digiweb and IrishBroadband have wireless broadband services in Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Dun wrote:
    anywhere outside Inishowen. No hope of getting it where I live (Clonmany).
    Eircom turned on the clonmany area last week! contact your local computer shop in carndonagh for details ;):D

b0bsquish wrote:
    Eircom turned on the clonmany area last week! contact your local computer shop in carndonagh for details ;):D

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Not that it makes a bit of difference to me, as apparently I'm too far outside of Clonmany to get it (and no, I'm not in the wilds of Urris).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

yeah its odd to say the least, i live around 200 metres from the limit :confused:
    ... and anyway everyone knows they dont have electricty in urris! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Map of DSL (broadband) enable exchanges:

http://handelaar.org/blog/2006/04/troublemaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 irish_dew

any news of Malin, or Malin Head yet? (I know I'm going to suffer for even suggesting this).

irish_dew wrote:
    any news of Malin, or Malin Head yet? (I know I'm going to suffer for even suggesting this).
    Would anybody here be so cruel as to ..............................:D

There's supposed to be wireless broadband coming to Malin Head in the near future, from what I heard. It's supposed to cover Malin, and it'll probably cover a chunk of Malin Head, but I've no idea how much, or where the transmitter is going to be (but I think it's going alongside an existing one - RTÉ??).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

Dun wrote:
    Gareth - I've a friend in the new housing estates behind the One Foot Inn, and her phone number comes up as being suitable (eircom).

:( ... (sorry for taking so long to reply..) I'm exactly 2.6 mile from the Foot Inn and i just did yet another line check on Eircom... I failed (for about the 100th time :p ).. It's so annoying that they still haven't got round to realising that there's a high demand for Broadband here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 irish_dew

Dun wrote:
    There's supposed to be wireless broadband coming to Malin Head in the near future, from what I heard. It's supposed to cover Malin, and it'll probably cover a chunk of Malin Head, but I've no idea how much, or where the transmitter is going to be (but I think it's going alongside an existing one - RTÉ??).

Cheers Dun, but I'll believe it when I see it.

From what I've heard it's already installed, but they need to install something else to point it in the right direction.

This is the crowd, you should e-mail them:
    http://www.nwewn.com

They're already live in Buncrana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Steve_TcK

Hi all,

I have been looking to put Wireless Internet in Malin Town & Malin head for some time now, This being a Community Wireless Project.

The bandwidth would not be high but it would give a connection.
    I have an Access Point running just on the outskirts of Carndonagh (This Works Great !) and had planned on the Malin Access Point / Repeater soon however - All the nice high spots have either been taken or the owners want silly money to put an antenna and box there.

The last place i tried wanted just over €200 per month !! :(

The other problem was people did not wish to pay a 1 off fee of €150 for a Access Point & Antenna to access the system -

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pdutton

We live between Carndonagh and Malin, running a web shop and working from home we desperatley need a good internet connection, we are currently using one-way satellite but would ideally like to go the wireless route.

Does anyone know of any plans for the area ?

pdutton wrote:
    We live between Carndonagh and Malin, running a web shop and working from home we desperatley need a good internet connection, we are currently using one-way satellite but would ideally like to go the wireless route.

Does anyone know of any plans for the area ?
    You would probably be better off posting here but I will leave this post here for a while to see if you get any replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement