Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise pollution

Options
  • 13-04-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

At about five this morning there was a racket at the Centra underneath my apartment that went on for a half hour, some kind of delivery with large noisy trolleys getting pushed around.

I’ve just moved in and if it’s a once off I don’t particularly mind but if it happens again I want to be able to complain to the relevant authorities but I’m not sure about who to bring my case to.

Anyone know who they and what can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ring your local city council, the environemntal Health Noise section. There is no actual legislation setting specific noise limits in Ireland, although if it persisits you or the environmental Health officer can take them to the district court under section 107 of the EPA Act 1992. There is loads onf info on the net about it google is ur friend!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the Centra has always been there, you might have to live with it.

It might have just been a one-off, if they were moving around fridges or machinery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I had to put up with Ulster Bank installing new safes next door to me late at night and on weekends for almost 4 months. Unfortunately I was told there was nothing I could do (they agreed not to start work until 7AM on Saturday mornings and to finish by 11.30PM on weekdays- the nature of the work (masonry and also the installation of security equipment and networking cables all over the place) meant that they could only work outside of office hours. When I checked- I discovered that despite the fact that Main Street Lucan village has in excess of 80 registered domestic dwellings- that it is not classified as a residential area by SDCC. The fact that it is not officially a residential area was also cited as justification for contractors working on behalf of Eircom using a Kango hammer outside my bedroom window at 8AM on a Sunday morning (though a hurried call to a hassled Eircom manager in Galway (the only one I could find on a Sunday morning) got them to stop until 11AM.

Ultimately- and very unfortunately, there may not be a lot you can do about it. I do sympathise- the grevious bodily harm I have threatened on neighbours and contractors for disturbing my sleep can only be guessed at. At the end of the day it may come to making a decision about moving- which is what I am considering.

Advertisement