Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I report a dead pigeon?

Options
  • 13-04-2006 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I was walking along the canal at Portobello this morning when I saw a dead pigeon, lying on its back with its legs in the air.

I had a closer look and it doesn't seem to have been attacked by a cat.

Given the bird flu stuff....should I report it? I mean...the only other dead pigeon i've ever seen in my whole life had been squished by a car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

eth0_ wrote:
    I was walking along the canal at Portobello this morning when I saw a dead pigeon, lying on its back with its legs in the air.

Given the bird flu stuff....should I report it? I mean...the only other dead pigeon i've ever seen in my whole life had been squished by a car.

haha don't ya just love paranoia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

eth0_ wrote:

I think the advice was....a wild bird eg swam...duck etc dead.....report it......3 common birds eg...sparrow piegeon etc dead within the same general area...report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Ag marbh wrote:

It has been on the news that the Dept of Agriculture want all dead or suspious birds reported, ring them and ask them, nothing to do with paranoia!! very immature response

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you find any more report it

There was a bird flu scare not long ago in Dundalk where they found a swan dead in the Ramparts river but after testing they found it wasn't bird flu thanks be to God

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dbnavan wrote:
    It has been on the news that the Dept of Agriculture want all dead or suspious birds reported, ring them and ask them, nothing to do with paranoia!! very immature response

I saw around 10 deads birds yesterday when out for a walk.

Maybe I might give someone a call but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    I saw around 10 deads birds yesterday when out for a walk.

Maybe I might give someone a call but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

It was either some distance of a walk or else seeing 10 dead birds in one day would be suspious to me even without birdflu! Or else ur just winding us up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dbnavan wrote:
    It was either some distance of a walk or else seeing 10 dead birds in one day would be suspious to me even without birdflu! Or else ur just winding us up!

They were hanging in the butchers window :)

I know, I'll get my coat!

I think people are seriously paranoid all the same. If only people were are cautious about perhaps reporting bad driving we'd make more of a difference to society.

Bluetonic wrote:
    They were hanging in the butchers window :)

I know, I'll get my coat!

I think people are seriously paranoid all the same. If only people were are cautious about perhaps reporting bad driving we'd make more of a difference to society.

Get yer coat, yer bag, the lots, and GET OFF THE STAGE :D:D:D:D

Nothing paranoid over worrying about something, that the WHO(world health organisation), member of the EU, governments, and doctors are all warning us about to be honest!

Bird Flu kills, simple as that! Scaremongering, no I amnt, afraid not really, cautious very!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ag marbh wrote:

You're an idiot. Ever hear of doing your civic duty?

eth0_ wrote:
    You're an idiot. Ever hear of doing your civic duty?
    While I somewhat agree, I was just about to warn you to watch out for the mod's I noticed you are one!!

~Wonders would it have been accepted had I said it? ~

• Advertisement

Well he was being an idiot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

The way I see it is, there's no harm in reporting it, they'll most likely test it and if it's not the dreaded Bird Flu then thanks be to jaysus, if it is then maybe you'll have helped to catch it in time and will have saved us all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Well im still waiting on catching Sars so as soon as that passes il start worrying about Bird flu,oh wait isnt there Foot and Mouth to be worrying about too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

SARS: Never happened
    Foot & mouth: Never happened
    Bird flu: Has been threatening to happen for quite some time now but has only killed 60 people out of 6 billion.

These epidemics are nothing more than sensationalist crap made up to scare people who know nothing about science. People are refusing to eat chicken because they think they'll get bird flu, I've heard of people wanting to have their budgies put down in case they give them bird flu. The chances of bird flu becoming an actual epidemic are very, very snall. It's ridiculous.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ag marbh wrote:

It's only paranoia when it's _not_ eth0_ !

If you need other people to tell you what to do in such a simple case then I worry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

All it takes is one call to the dept of agri to ask! I am worried about bird flu cause I keep a few expensive parrots & small birds. I know in the uk they are saying any ducks, geese, swans report them but other native birds only report it if you see 3 or more in one area etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

This morning (Easter Sunday) there is a dead or dying duck lying in the middle of the car park of my apartment complex in Dublin. I haven't looked to see if it's alive or whether it's injured.

Who should I ring that will respond today?

DSPCA/ISPCA would deal with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think all dead birds should be reported... Always worth checking it out.

I think I've seen 2 dead birds in my life, and 1 of them was since hearing about bird-flu.

Now there's dead swans being reported left, right and centre! Do swans die in the water or what? That'd be a mad sight to see :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=animal_health/avian_influenza/index.xml

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pressrel/2006/34-2006.xml

The number is 1890 252 283 and members of the public who want to report dead birds will be able to contact this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement