Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby On Rails

Options
  • 13-04-2006 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just some basic questions for all you web designers and what not.

I want to start learning how to build webpages (for pleasure) I tried to learn CSS but I could never get it right for some reason.

Recently Ive been reading alot about RoRs people saying that its easy to learn, new simple architecture and all that jazz.

What im wondering is
    (A) Has anyone had any experiance with it?
    (B) Is it easy to learn coming from a non web dev backround?
    (C) If not, what would you consider?

Thanks, appreciate any insight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

a) Yes, b) no its not, c) what do you plan on doing?

If you are coming from a completely non web dev background - use php - its simple, easy to learn, loads of free scripts available and plenty of books and support around.

Plus its easy to dev on your home computer as you can install a package that will set up a server for you, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I tried to learn CSS but I could never get it right for some reason.

css and Ruby are two totally different languages. CSS is a designer code while Ruby is a development language (OO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

Yes.

Probably easier than most rapid app development methods and if you're only planning on using it for prototyping then, yes, it's pretty easy to get into.

As everyone else said - you'd be better off picking up PHP first.

Advertisement