Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T.A. job offer

Options
  • 13-04-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I applied for an R.A. job in ctyi, but I got offered T.A. instead. Should I take it or would I be mad to? It's just that I went to ctyi when I was younger and it never seemed like the T.A.s were having much fun. Also you don't get accomodation so there's the whole commuting in and out every day thing, and coming back again for evening study... any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

How long is the commute?
    What time would you have to get up at?
    How much do you want to work in CTYI?
    What else might you do instead?

Those would be the questions I'd ask myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

TA'ings good fun :) i did it during the summer and did it at the 8-13 saturday course. The other staff are always friendly and there's always people around during the break for activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I imagine it'd be fun. Something I'd quite like to do myself in a few years. Go for it, you get paid anyway if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Jeezie Creezie

I agree with the getting paid but I'm not sure that T.A.ing is much fun and like you said no accomodation, but it's your decision.

Have fun whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What would you be TAing for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I did TA for the last two summers and had a great time. You get to know all the other TA's really well and have plenty of fun in the afternoons, I could count on my hands the number of times I went home for the afternoon gap over the whole two years.

Also if you have any future dream of teaching a course I think TA is very good experience. Having been in the classroom with three different teachers teaching I got a good feeling for what works and what doesn't which I think has helped me teaching hte 8-12 year olds and will hopefully help me teaching in the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

TAing is good fun. I'm going back for a second round of it this summer. The commuting can be a bit of a killer but you get used to it, plus you still have your weekends free... which is fantabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Haw

Ooh, whatcha gonna TA Claire?

-Eimear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Haw wrote:
    Ooh, whatcha gonna TA Claire?

-Eimear

Session 1 - Writing For Life
    Session 2 - Speculative Fiction Writing

Visits to the playground and lots of movies! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Oooh, SpecFic! *holds quotebook(tm) tight* Good times. \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Haw

claire h wrote:
    Session 1 - Writing For Life
    Session 2 - Speculative Fiction Writing

Visits to the playground and lots of movies! Yay!

It is possible that you'll be seeing me...*crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

*holds quotebook(tm) tight*
    My quotebook owns you biatch.

OP: If you're interested on the course you'd be TAing for, I'd give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

TAing is as much fun as you put into it. Some of the TAs are grumpy dicks but if you're up for the crack with the students you'll love it. Also you get to do the staff-student games and I think some TAs end up helping at activities if they want to, I think that happened last year.

What'll you be TAing for? That's the big question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

I think you should definitely go for it. All my TAs have been great and provided your up for a laugh you'll have a pretty good time with your class during study and stuff.
    Andrew 83 wrote:
    Having been in the classroom with three different teachers teaching I got a good feeling for what works and what doesn't

I'm sensing some subtle undertones there Andrew :rolleyes:

Outcast wrote:
    I'm sensing some subtle undertones there Andrew :rolleyes:

No undertones Niamh! All of them were good teachers and all did some things really well, i just want to copy that and make sure to avoid the odd thing or appraoch that didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Yeah I know, I'm only messing really.

Or maybe you have other views yourself on the people? ;) (Only messing too!)

Advertisement