Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH - Type of Underlay for timber

Options
  • 13-04-2006 11:19am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

We have UFH. We got our timber waaaaay back as part of a prize I purchased in Dublin from a wholesaler.

Now we are near ready to put down the flooring, but I have realised that the underlay may not be suitable for the UFH.
    Is there a specific underlay for UFH?

If there is any idea of how much it costs compared to standard, white, 3mm underlay?

Anyone any suggestions of what speil I could spin to a local Timber flooring provider to swap or part swap for the correct material.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yop

The white PE foam underlay is the correct stuff.
    If you have insulated properly the heat will come through the floor and heat your room, if the room is warm your UFH is working. no matter what you fit with wood you won't have warm floorboards as wood is an effective insulator.
    It won't stop the heat but it just slows the emmission of heat down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yip it is that white foam alright CJ, but the lad who did our GEO said it was not the correct stuff as it was no porous! (sp)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why does it have to be porous?My man says that we should fit a layer of Polyethylene before the jiffy foam!
    Is your floor dry now? have you had the UFH running for long?
    If so there should be no problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Umm, I don't know lad, the UFH is working spot on but his test was to hold yoour hand to the back of the underlay, then blow through and see if you can feel your breath through it, we couldn't!

I will have to ask in a couple of suppliers and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I used a kind of wax-backed corrugated cardboard as an underlay with UFH. This was recommended by Woodplus in Galway.

I was talking to a person who took up their laminate floor because they had used the white foam. He reckoned that it was keeping the heat down. They glued the floor instead.

I didn't fancy gluing so I used the cardboard stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement