Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilcoole

• 13-04-2006 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I've been checking my line with the various providers again, in the light of the recent changes in line criteria. Eircom has changed from "Fail" to "Unsuitable", but when I checked with Magnet I got a message that I could not get the full package (for 14 months) but that they could offer me a 2MB package. I'm currently on hold trying to sign up...29.95 a month with no charge for the router/installation. Aparantly they'll send the router out after a 7 day cooling off period.

Hopefully the line really can support their broadband...I'll report back as to how it progresses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭goldilocked

Okay, well I have ordered the magnet 2MB package, but I rang eircom to get them to do the linetest again and their response is that my line is not strong enough. So its still a fail from eircom, I'm thinking now that Magnet may come back to me and tell me that actually my line can't support their package.

Anyone know why Magnet think they can offer me a service while eircom don't? The guy i was talking to from magnet said that it was because they use dsl2 and eircom use dsl1, but I think I'm right in saying that they only use dsl2 when you get the full package?

TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Borris

Just ordered with Magnet, and im down the Sea Road.
    its quite simple, Magnet have there own equipment in the Excanges.

Eircom and the other poviders like BT UTV etc are using ADSL2 as you might know, which has about a 4k limit on BB.
    Magnet on the other hand are using ADSL2+ which has about a 14k limit. in fact in 14months magnet will be able to offer 8mb down, 512 up in kilcoole.

dam it were catching up!! lol

Hey Borris,

Thanks for the reply. Got the info pack from magnet and got a call from their billing dept to get my details so aparantly its gone to provisioning now. Really looking forward to finally having a decent internet connection at home. I'll let you know how I'm getting on...

G.

hey man,
    i have to eat my words.
    i was lyed to by magnet. rang them today, after them promissing my modem on monday and it never arived.

they sent my line and it failed with "eircom". i was told they didnt have to go though them.
    yours might pass, but chace them in a few days. fingers crossed for ya

as for me, im going to comreg with that one, since there lyeing about there equipment setup etc. there going on the exchange been enabled and then just trying to push a order without testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Magnet are obviously a bit coy about what they're doing. Before they enable an exchange they just resell eircom broadband so it's up to eircom to deliver the stuff. Once Magnet has their own kit in the exchange they can pretty much ignore eircom and deliver you a service regardless of what eircom thinks of the matter. If you fail the eircom test you're not going to get more than 1Mbps most likely, but it's something.

I'm a little surprised Magnet is going to unbundle an exchange in Kilcoole, though? They usually only do urban exchanges close to a fibre loop.

• Advertisement

yeah, but they now cant offer me anything. kinda sucks, realy had my hopes up since they told me they were running there own adsl2+ in kilcoole already which they arnt.

ah well

Blaster,
    I'm living in Kilcoole, but I'm on the greystones exchange.

Borris, what exactly happened in your case. Did you get a call from magnet telling you that your line isn't suitable or did someone come out or what?

Thanks,
    G.

Hi there,

I'm quite annoyed now. I was talking to a few people in Magnet, and was told how their 2MB product is just eircom's service resold. I was also told that if your line doesn't pass eircom's check then you can't get it. This is after being told before that because they use ADSL2+ the normal line checks aren't appropriate.

What annoys me is that I rang up multiple times telling them that since my line passed no other provider's check (including eircom's), and they still told me everything was okay. Then I was told today (by Magnet) that the Magnet sales team should check your line on the Eircom website before offering you the 2MB service!! I did that myself! And told them it didn't pass!!

The whole thing has probably wasted over 2 hours of my time in the last two weeks, and if i hadn't rang today and made sure I found out what was going on, I don't know how long I'd be waiting.

So the bottom line is that Magnet are offering their service to people that don't meet the requirements. Then stringing them along for them only to be told they can't have it....thats not going to encourage me to become a Magnet customer when they finally can provide a service.

I think i'd prefer a provider that can't offer me a service, but is at least honest about it.

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Hi there,

I'm quite annoyed now. I was talking to a few people in Magnet, and was told how their 2MB product is just eircom's service resold. I was also told that if your line doesn't pass eircom's check then you can't get it. This is after being told before that because they use ADSL2+ the normal line checks aren't appropriate.

What annoys me is that I rang up multiple times telling them that since my line passed no other provider's check (including eircom's), and they still told me everything was okay. Then I was told today (by Magnet) that the Magnet sales team should check your line on the Eircom website before offering you the 2MB service!! I did that myself! And told them it didn't pass!!

The whole thing has probably wasted over 2 hours of my time in the last two weeks, and if i hadn't rang today and made sure I found out what was going on, I don't know how long I'd be waiting.

So the bottom line is that Magnet are offering their service to people that don't meet the requirements. Then stringing them along for them only to be told they can't have it....thats not going to encourage me to become a Magnet customer when they finally can provide a service.

I think i'd prefer a provider that can't offer me a service, but is at least honest about it.

G.

yup did the same thing to me in d15 a few months back and gave the speil about the "full range of services in the area very soon !" (get you hooked to the phone service!!!)

crowd of waisters tbh

same thing happened to me, goldilocked

thats why i was posting here full of joy lol.

i dont think ill ever sign up with them now. they will be able to offer us 8mb broadband in 14months, but hell so will bt and eircom by then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johng2004

im in woodstock and my phone number was on they greystones exchange. i found out that all the business in the industrial estate had broadband because they where on the newtown exchange, so i called eircom and changed and now i have broadband (from bt)
    i changed from eircom the minute my line was enabled becuae they r the whole reason it took so long to get this far

Hey John, what did it take to get eircom to change the exchange that you're on? I'd say I'm about 1km nearer greystones than you are. I wonder if they'd even switch exchanges for me....and even if they did I wonder would I be outside the 5k limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I live in a new estate called Dunboyne Castle. Magnet have wired the whole estate for tv, broadband and phone. We were fed all the blurb about fibre optic technology, blah, blah, blah.

It's been a disaster. We've lost count of the times our phone and tv have been out of action. Granted, the broadband has been okay. But overall, Magnet's name is mud in our estate.

I really feel sorry for the poor divils answering the phones. It's not their fault.

I couldn't believe it when I saw/ heard the recent Magnet advertising campaign offering "More"

Yes, I accept they're a new company and they have teething problems but surely they should try and sort out their problems before going nationwide with a campaign?

Advertisement