Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup Final

• 13-04-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

The game will take place at Tolka Park, ironically deemed too small for the Cup Final meeting between the sides just a few months ago.

Ticket Details:
    • Tickets are €15 for adults, €8 concession and there is also a limited number of schoolchild (Under-16) tickets at €5 each available for each club.
    • Drogheda United supporters can buy their tickets from the Parking Shed at United Park, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (and available at their home game v UCD this Good Friday night) and from the Drog Shop, Shop Street (at Madam Le Worthy’s) Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm. All Drogheda United season tickets holders are guaranteed Setanta Sports Cup final tickets.
    • Cork City fans can buy their tickets from Friday from the club shop in Bishopstown, Lennox’s Launderette, Bandon Road; and usual outlets from next week.

The match will be live on Setanta at 7pm, Saturday 22nd April.

http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=4416

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think the reason why Tolka is being used is because the Setanta Cup is not yet an established competition, and doesnt have the same draw as the established FAI Cup. Setanta Cup attendances have been poor across the board so far, and Tolka wasn't even filled for last years final.

Secondly, this will be the fourth meeting of these two sides in 10 weeks. So its not exactly going to grab the imagination.

Thirdly, Lansdowne is beng used the following day for the rugby.

And finally, I think this is an indictment of where Irish football is at. The fact that there is no oter ground in Dublin, the mid lands, or indeed anywhere else capable of hosting the final is a joke. Dublin is a neutral venue of sorts, but is really only a small journey for Drogs.

Its a pity that this match couldnt be held in, say, Athlone, or Portlaois, but there isn't adequate facilities at either. This will also be a probelm if two well supported teams are playing in this years FAI Cup Final - it will almost have to be played in Tolka.

Anyway, all that aside, it should make for an interesting game, if not a good one. These two teams know each other very well having played each other so often recently. City have beated Drogs twice in this competition already this season, so Drogs will be looking for a bit of revenge.

I think this will see extra time, and City to win 2-1.

Aside, I dont think Tolka will be a sell out for this. The mood is fairly apathetic in Cork so far in the competition anyway, and hasn't changed much since qualifying for the final. The fact is is almost head to head with the rugby could also have a big bearing on the attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'm really excited about the final gimmick. Its revenge for the Cup final in Lansdowne.

It has all the makings of a cracking weekend. The Setanta and the Munster vs Leinster match on the Sunday.

There was 26,000 there that day, so Id expect Tolka to be nearly a sell out.

Sounds like youve been hanging around the Cork City website forum for too long. That thing will wreck your head!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sounds like youve been hanging around the Cork City website forum for too long. That think will wreck your head!:D
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Is there any Drog fans on boards? if not i will take up their call of suport for this one and only game lol, expect a sig change to mark this too lol

Well I'm sorted for my tickets anyway. I won a pair on the Friday Sports Night programme on RTE last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

george is a pretty major doubt for the final, after picking up an ankle injury against bray.. although if admir softic plays as well as he did in the carlisle it shouldnt be too bad, the boy looks good, if not rather freakishly tall..

i dont expect mick devine to start in goal but mark mcnultys recent games have proved we have the best back up in the country in that position..

i cant help feeling rather "meh" about the whole thing though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Would like to see Cork win it...overall more deserving imo. Should be a good game anyway.

DubGuy wrote:
    Would like to see Cork win it...overall more deserving imo. Should be a good game anyway.
    what did they do that the drogs didn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

blu_sonic wrote:
    what did they do that the drogs didn't?

They won their group, but it all comes down to the 90 minutes in Tolka, and whoever wins there deserves it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is it true that the winning team will get more for this than winning the league....?

• Advertisement

Definitely. The finances for this are far greater than for the league.

It seems both clubs were allocated 3500 tickets for this. They have sold way better than expected in Cork so far, and there was never any doubt that Drogs tickets would go quickly.

Whats the official capacity of Tolka? I wonder how much corporates will be handed out?

The word is as well, is that Fagans is to be boycotted! I dare say the off licenses will do well in the area, much like the FAI Cup final.

gimmick wrote:
    It seems both clubs were allocated 3500 tickets for this. They have sold way better than expected in Cork so far, and there was never any doubt that Drogs tickets would go quickly.

Whats the official capacity of Tolka? I wonder how much corporates will be handed out?

The word is as well, is that Fagans is to be boycotted! I dare say the off licenses will do well in the area, much like the FAI Cup final.

Last time I checked Tolka held around 9,500. Why is Fagans being boycotted btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    :confused:

Why, what did Fagan's do to upset ye lot?

^ After the last time City were up playing Shels, they wouldn't allow any City fans in after the game, even though there were hundreds of City fans in there beforehand doing their best to drink the place dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I do believe there were reports of Fagans turning away City fans at some stage last season. To be honest, I'd do the same if it was done to me - there's enough other places to take your custom.

// edit: Beaten to it :)

Yeah they wouldn't let me in after the Shels match last year either. And I was there for 2 hours before the game.

Ive often been there for All-Irelands and there is no hassle like that.

I went in the following day and asked the manager what the story was and he said its what they always do for matches.

New one on me.:mad:

Like the grafetti in Fagan's toilets "Bertie is a Bo11ix!":D

It seems neither team has sold its allocation, so tickets will be on general sale tomorrow.

Prediction: I see this going all the way to penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Mick Devine and George O Callaghan expected to be fit. Just as well for Drogs fans that George will play, otherwise they would have no songs to sing at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

what sort of audiences are setanta getting for these setanta cup games

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Anybody have an update on the tciket situation as in are there still tickets available?

• Advertisement

Unbelievable miss after 20 minutes by O'Callaghan, hit the inside of the post.

so close there, should be 2 - 0
    i might be eating my words, come on the drogs ffs

setantas commentry is rubbish, it got caught in a loop and there are long silences. cork are roughing up the drogs alot

georgie can be dirty too (cork fans say he gets battered) i admire him as a player and i respect how he gets involved, i think thats how it seems like hes a target its cuz he's so ready to get into the action

They better win this sig is for good luck for them, i'll take it down tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

1-0 Drogs. Leech 102 min

wonder what gimmk has to say? the team that "deserved it" didn't get it.

what did ye all think of it? i thought cork were far better in the 1st half but the first 35min in 2nd belonged to the drogs then cork pushed in the last 10 min of 2nd.

im happy the drogs did it, ork seem to think they've a devine right to everything

blu_sonic wrote:
    Cork seem to think they've a devine right to everything

Well they do have Mick...

I thought it was a decent, open game. Cork certainly had the best of the first half and should have been ahead at the break, but as Shels well know after the semi-final at the Cross, you have to take your chances. There weren't as many clear-cut chances in the second half or extra time, but neither side really dominated the game.

The goal was a nice one, a good through ball and nice slotted finish through the legs of Michael Devine. Was disappointing to see the scenes at the final whistle, as Danny Murphy lashed out and Declan O'Brien reacted (both throwing what can only be classed as punches). Luckily neither were punished because it would have been a disappointing way for the game to end, especially as O'Brien is the Drogs captain. The linesman did well to get in there because Gamble was on a warpath! I think he must only have seen O'Briens attempted punch.

Anyway, 1-0 it finished.

Drogs are the first eL winners of the Setanta Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

a few thoughts on the game..

First off the crowd was poor. 6,000 the official attendance, and I reckon the Drogs had the bigger crowd. (well if the final was played 40 minutes from Cork I'd expect us to have the bigger crowd too, but thats an argument for another day).

Drogs started the better, but City began to dictate the pace and pass the ball around, but created very little. Roy O'Donovans miss form 2 yards was unacceptable at this level, as was Georgie's, both chances were easier to score.

Drogs are a dirty little team when they want to be, all flailing elbows and body checks when the referee isnt't looking. Jason Gavin should have been sent off last night, he tried his best to take Neale Fenn out of it in the first half but missed completly (he was booked for that), and then he should have gotten another yellow for persistent fouling.

Drogheda created nada for the whole game (Mick Devine didnt have a save to make), but to be fair to drogs they took their goal well, Danny Murphy should be shot for that loss of posession for the goal.

When George went off I thought Admir Softic should have come on, as it would have been like for like. Admir did well when he was called on near the end, and had he been given more time I think would have caused some damage.

And Jaysus lads Tolka's some sh!te hole.. that stand opposite the riverside (with the press area) should be condemmed..

But despite the result it was a good day out, had a bit of craic on the bus up and down and it got me out of work for the day..

So, as much as it pains me to say it, fair play Drogheda, cant say the better team won but that happens in football.. Ah well

My head hurts..

• Advertisement

Roar wrote:
    Drogs are a dirty little team when they want to be

Did you see the incident at full time? Every team can be dirty when they want to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I thought it was a decent enough game and better than I thought it would be. Cork will rue those two chances missed on the first half. To miss two chances of that calibre is just unacceptable. Drogs came into the game more in th second half but chances were very few and far between. When the goal came it was well taken by Leech, good finish under Devine who was maybe a little sow getting down but it was clear all night that he wasnt 100%.

Congrats to Drogs on being the first EL team to win the Setanta Cup.

roar wrote:
    Drogs are a dirty little team when they want to be, all flailing elbows and body checks when the referee isnt't looking.

now now, Cork were just as dirty. I was surprized at how physical georgie was. I think maybe you waned Gavin off becasue he seemed to have the measure of all the Cork attacks.
    roar wrote:
    Drogheda created nada for the whole game (Mick Devine didnt have a save to make) / / / / cant say the better team won but that happens in football.. Ah well

if it was just on the 1st half preformance then i'd agree but over the whole match it evened out. Devine did make save though, what about the one where e had to dash off his line and play sweeper? IT would have been 1 on 1 otherwise, i thought the drogs looked far ore dangerous than cork in the 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Congrats to Drogheda.

Always great to see Cork lose. :D

I never felt so sick as at the end of that game last night. How City lost is beyond me, but as said above, chances were not taken etc.

Random thoughts

The ref was absolutely appalling. Glen Fitz should have been sent off for persistant fouling. Doolin relaised this, and subbed him when the ref should have finally sent him off. Ironically, his replacement got the winner.

The chips in the ground are disgusting, bit still nicer than those at the Cross.

The stewarding was excellent. Best stewarding I have ever seen in fact. The guards did very well as well. They just asked fans politely to calm down if they got a bit animated (ok, asked me), when in other grounds stewards would be ejecting folk. It was funny just before the final whistle, I was roaring an obscene word over and over at Dan Connor, a gaurd came up to me and said, 'you'll have to leave the ground now' I repleid, 'ill leave when Im good and ready, in around 30 secs time, now go away', and he went away!

Poor attendence. Maybe the Rugby today hit it.

Tolka is a horrible ground, yet its still one of the best in the country. What a joke.

Fagans was more or less boycotted by City, I have a feeling Kennedys will be as well next time we are up that direction. Quinns is the best in the area, bar none.

Jason Gavin was excellemt for Drogs, about their only decent player. Joe Gamble deservedly got MOTM. Didnt see the inceident at the end, but heard Gamble lost the plot completely.

Drogs will not win the league.

i thonk drogs will win the league, and gimmick i think tahts a fair round up mick, thought i understand how cork lost it.

in fact i'm gonna remove the drogs sig

• Advertisement
Advertisement