Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wall imperfections

Options
  • 13-04-2006 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used the white stuff u get in a tub and roller on to skim poor walls? what was the finish like or did u have to get the walls plastered in the end? have heard its not much good but just wanted our opinions

basically i have an old wall which has a bumpy finish on it. was previously wallpapered but want it painted now. its in a kitchen so that wud be main reason for wanting it painted. plus i hate wallpaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi Johnny

I havent used this stuff myself, but the next door neighbour tried it a few weeks back and said it was a pile of sh1te. He tried using it as a skim coat over an old internal wall.Im sure other people may have had different results, but that what I have been told anyways.

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

ah right, thats what i heard as well. best get practising with the plaster so. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mullmick

if it helps- we used it about 4 months ago when doing up our livingroom. We had stripped wallpaper to reveal bare plasterboard below- and a few knocks where there was plaster, which we wanted smoothed before painting. Cash was tight, so we decided to try the roll-on plaster.

It worked out pretty well. The key was to take our time- the instructions said do a metre squared at a time... once person rolled, the other scrapped- very gently. We then went over it with some sandpaper the next day to rub out any imperfections.

To make absolutely sure- we also used a layer of pollyfilla, thick undercoat on the walls before painting on the top coat. Worked fine.

sure i suppose its worth a try. worst case i have to put up lining paper as i was planning on doing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

We has a couple of walls that we stripped off paper to reveal some very uneven finished. My girlfriend bought the stuff and i said it would never work and made fun of her. I look a fool now though as she got it finished something similar to a professional skimming.

Also my dad asked just yesterday where it had been done (we've no painted it yet) and i showed him and he agreed it was a fantastic finishing.

I guess its down the who's doing it. I tried it and it was a little tricky but you could get the hang of it eventually.

• Advertisement

update :

i said fook it i wasnt paying 45 quid for the bucket then another 10 for the speader, plus i prob wudve needed at least 2 or 3 buckets, and even at that there was no guarantee it wud work. so grabbed a big bag of plaster for 7.50 and tried it out. the plaster is obviously tougher to smooth out but once you get the nack its handy enough. so it really only cost me some elbow grease to do the whole kitchen. sanded it down last night and will be putting first coat of emulsion or paint later in the week. finish is almost perfect to be honest and have to admit i was delighted with the results. few people have seen it and cant believe i did such a good job of it. (have to admit though i wudnt like to be doin it for a living, took my time at it and prob spent way too much effort trying to smooth it out) very small nicks here and there but will sort those with some polyfilla once ive put on the first coat.

Advertisement