Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hpi report on motorbike

• 13-04-2006 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I might be buying a bike in the UK and the seller says it comes with a hpi report paid for buy the seller.
    I'm just wondering what this report looks like does it come like a stamped certificate or something.??
    I checked the hpi site but it gives you a sample of and electronic copy of it. do they also post out a cert.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

if you are going to buy it, you might be better doing your own hpi check, think it costs a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

What madrab said. The AA do it for about a tenner, and they're insured. So if the bike turned out to be stolen, had any outstanding finance, blah, blah, and the information they gave you about this was wrong, leading to you either having to hand the bike over to the cops, or end up being faced with a hefty bill, they'll either refund you the cost of the vehicle, or cover the finance bill. They'll also tell you if the bike was ever reported stolen or crashed. Can be valuable information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Garibaldi wrote:
    ...if the bike was ever reported stolen or crashed. Can be valuable information.

...and there you go. If it was never reported crashed, it's not going to show up anywhere, and if it's wearing a false VIN no, well it's not going to show that up either.

I paid GBP£200 in March to the RAC to inspect a car - the vehicle, it's history and the paperwork. The physical inspection was fine, but the paperwork one was useless - wrong vehicle, wrong reg, reported written off, loan outstanding, etc. Turns out they had registered the wrong details against the wrong car on the 'system'........the seller was mortified when I told him, we sorted it ourselves.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Quite right. Unfortunately, no single check is going to have all the answers, and the answers they have may be inaccurate, but their insurance goes some way towards covering any problems that come up after the sale. If a vehicle *was* crashed, and this was never reported, there's not a lot that anyone can do. There's always some risk in buying privately. I bought my first GS privately, and what a ****heap that turned out to be. Concealed mods made by the previous owner, cack-handed experimental drilling (for what purpose, I'll never know), the thing was held together with what looked like marine epoxy but, without a thorough inspection, it all looked good. And I traded my immaculate Aprilia Mille R for that. :( Still, the GS was stolen, badly damaged, repaired, then I crashed it and wrote it off. Some bikes just have bad karma all over them. I can only hope that the Mille spontaneously fell to bits out of sadness at being left in the clutches of such a git.
    But enough about me. :D The AA style of check, plus an inspection at an independent, reputable garage, should cover most bases.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive got uk hpi checks, theyre pretty distinctive and if your not sure its genuine phone them with the ref on the form. It costs about £40 for a UK one, which checks paperwork, history, mileage, crash history, even colour. Just make sure the numbers on the car and the mileage etc match the HPI! Dont know about the irish version, and if the car is an import Im not sure it will go back and give you info on when it was english

• Advertisement
Advertisement