Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Student Centre Yes or No

Options
  • 13-04-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

New Student Centre Yes or No

What will you vote for the new student centre 44 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    36% 16 votes
    Not Voting
    63% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

.. its been a few years since i finished up there, but they hadnt long finished the student centre. Surely there's not talk of a new one already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

not voting..mainly cos i lost my student card and refuse to pay €14 for another peice of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Not voting because I won't see it anyway, so i'll leave it to those people who might actually live to see it to decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

mise wrote:
    .. its been a few years since i finished up there, but they hadnt long finished the student centre. Surely there's not talk of a new one already

its more of an extension.

but its being billed as "new"

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm voting no because I think it's ridiculous that people who will be doing finals next year should have to pay for something they'll never get to use.

In fact, and this is slightly off topic, next year, I'm not going to pay my SU registration fee, and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

B-K-DzR wrote:
    not voting..mainly cos i lost my student card and refuse to pay €14 for another peice of plastic.

get a letter from the cops to say u lost ur wallet and u get replacement for free. ive done it twice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

nope. sort out the shambles that is the current one plus forum bar before thinking about another one.

a swimming pool and gym should be the responsibility of the *college* to *provide* - why send a dog on a man's errand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I had often thought bout doing that too. SU wrecked my head while I was there. Just seemed to be bout people egos never did anything worthwhile when I was there. And is was so bloody annoying round election time, couldnt walk through the arts block without half a trees worth of paper in your face.
    Anyways back to topic, what function will the extension perform?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I'm voting yes, I think it's a good idea. The reg fee is going up gradually, the ones who will have to pay the most for it are the ones who'll get to use it, something that's run by students for students is never a bad idea and they do have a clearcut plan for how it will be run, there is a need for it considering how difficult it is becoming for clubs and socs to get rooms anywhere else and it's going to be run at cost for both students and grads, so grads can get something out of it if they wish. Build away imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll vote yes, cos I want a swimming pool...!

Don't really care about anything else, I don't usually go to the Student Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

In fact, and this is slightly off topic, next year, I'm not going to pay my SU registration fee, and see what happens.
    The only way to do that would be to not pay the reg fee in its entirety, in which case, you ain't getting your degree, dude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm voting no because I think it's ridiculous that people who will be doing finals next year should have to pay for something they'll never get to use.

Im doing the same!Im tired of paying for things I dont use/need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Question!

What time can one vote until? I overslept..so.. won't be in to college. But i do want to vote for everything so might trek out for it :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

tbh i've actually been here three years and haven't voted in anything, so i'm not going to bother starting now

passive wrote:
    Question!

What time can one vote until? I overslept..so.. won't be in to college. But i do want to vote for everything so might trek out for it :(.
    If you're not in the College of Business and Law, you have from 6pm - 9:45pm in the Arts Block this evening. If you are, you've got 'til 5pm (I think, no guarantees) in Roebuck.

panda100 wrote:
    Im doing the same!Im tired of paying for things I dont use/need

Do you not use the trap, SU shop, and so on? I couldn't get by without those! :eek:

singingstranger, can you not just pay the reg fee and not the SU fee?

Unless you mean the Student Centre levy thing... the actual SU reg fee is part of the €775 registration fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

If you're not in the College of Business and Law, you have from 6pm - 9:45pm in the Arts Block this evening. If you are, you've got 'til 5pm (I think, no guarantees) in Roebuck.

Hmm... Thank you. I'm in Arts so the first one applies to me. But when you say from 6pm do you mean i can't vote before 6? I'm in work at 6:30 so that's not happening...

Unless you mean the Student Centre levy thing... the actual SU reg fee is part of the €775 registration fee...
    Why is the Student Centre Levy seperate? I thought that was the SU fee, hmmm

No, the €63.50 is a Student Centre levy that pays off the mortgage taken out to build the first - existing - Student Centre. The SU membership thing is taken out of your €775. Good luck to you trying to get hold of a breakdown of that €775 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

No, the €63.50 is a Student Centre levy that pays off the mortgage taken out to build the first - existing - Student Centre. The SU membership thing is taken out of your €775. Good luck to you trying to get hold of a breakdown of that €775 though.

So essentially we are being forced to join a union! Is that not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Voting NO. It's a total waste of money and time. Plus I pay quite enough for college already without having to fund the SU ego trip too.

but.... SWIMMING POOL!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Voting yes. I believe it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Waltons wrote:
    Voting yes. I believe it's a good idea.

That's the spirit!

DaveMcG wrote:

Are you easily distracted by shiney things :p It is a waste of money when there are much better ways the SU can be using their time and the money they extort from us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 holly2000

Are you easily distracted by shiney things :p It is a waste of money when there are much better ways the SU can be using their time and the money they extort from us!

Voted YES! Its nothing to do with the SU, they dont run the student centre and they wont be running the new developments. Student Centre seems to run fine, while I agree the Forum Bar is a shambles, but then thats probably because the SU runs it..... If everyone a few years ago had decided like this, we wouldnt have our facility now. Its not as good as it might be, but looking at some of the people out canvassing against it.....brothers and sisters just shouldnt get together.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

DaveMcG wrote:
    Yes, a swimming pool that the college should have built with the sports centre. Why should we as students be forced to pay for that separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

i'd be voting no if i was voting

• Advertisement

holly2000 wrote:
    .....brothers and sisters just shouldnt get together.......

Yes petty insults about people expressing their opinion and not agreeing with you and canvassing against the new student centre are the way to go! ;) You should have seen the dirty looks I got for refusing to sign the petition to bring the referendum about!

What is the point of it? Why do we need it? The only really new facilities are the swimming pool, and there are plenty of them around! There are no definite plans just an idea and a shiney brochure, and yet we are being asked to increase the levy which we pay! When will this thing be built? Not very soon is the likely answer!

So why pay for an idea, when we are already paying to much for a hole that was 30 years in the planning! How long will we be paying this increased levy before the centre will be extended?

So if someone comes back with concrete plans and good ideas instead of bullsh*t I may consider voting yes but until then no!

Advertisement