Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Student Centre Yes or No

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The centre, if approved, is planned for opening sometime in 2008. If you're in the 1st year of a 4 year course, you'll have it before you leave.

Yes, a swimming pool that the college should have built with the sports centre. Why should we as students be forced to pay for that separately?
    Well, it could be a massive profit-earner for UCD if we were to get one for ourselves... yes, there should have been one with the Sports Centre (which I believe was actually publically funded...) but there wasn't. C'est la vie. Let's not stop ourselves from pulling a good commercial move here. I voted yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

The centre, if approved, is planned for opening sometime in 2008. If you're in the 1st year of a 4 year course, you'll have it before you leave.

and where was that figure pulled out of? I have not heard of there even being any definite plans yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 IHatePoorPeople

Despite thinking it's a bad idea, and even though I won't be around by the time it opens, I'm voting yes. Why? Because unlike most of you paupers, my student centre levy is paid out of my research group's account. I couldn't care less if they wanted to charge €500/year, it's not like it'll affect me. But it would be worth it just to annoy the rest of you.

Isn't democracy great?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Despite thinking it's a bad idea, and even though I won't be around by the time it opens, I'm voting yes. Why? Because unlike most of you paupers, my student centre levy is paid out of my research group's account. I couldn't care less if they wanted to charge €500/year, it's not like it'll affect me. But it would be worth it just to annoy the rest of you.

Isn't democracy great?

Sangre??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've got a feeling someone hasn't got any friends:( Anywho I think I'll vote no, simply because even if I am here it's not something I would use. I also have the feeling it's being built so ucd can advertise it great sporting and entertainment facilities, I think a college should stand on it's academic merit before all else.(longer rant omitted)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

panda100 wrote:
    Sangre??
    Yeah definitely some muppet trolling

Blowfish wrote:
    Yeah definitely some muppet trolling

It's hardly trolling if I go through with it. If you want to see me vote yes, drop down to the science lecture building around 3, that's when I'll be casting my ballot.

Once again, suck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

and where was that figure pulled out of? I have not heard of there even being any definite plans yet!

It's on the literature.

elmyra wrote:
    It's on the literature.

So what! What I was asking is how that date was arrived at? Just because it is in some brochure or in the paper does not mean it is true! Is there a realistic timeline, I don't think so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

I'm voting no.

Firstly there's so many 25metre pools around UCD i don't see the point. If we are building a pool it should be 50 metres, something that can host international events and will make UCD stand out. That would be a great investment, not just for the students but for everybody.
    25 metres is useless, its not as if its free use anyway. On top of the new levy for the next 20 odd years will also be hit with fees to use it. There are no free breckfasts.

Then there's this pompous debating chamber. This is the last thing this college needs, another haunt for elitism. They plan on making it look like the House of Commons! Thats ****ing ridiculous. Looks like the main beneficiaries are about three societies, thats why L&H and C&E people are all out and about hacking away.

There has been no presentation of blue prints for this proposed student centre. This is crazy.

I believe there was very little consultation with students. I'm guessing it was Richard Butler and a few others who've been hanging around this college way too long who put the proposal together
    services who sat down with architects and decided what they wanted. I'm sure he has a massive office and a few secretaries waiting for him in the new building. That man is a cancer on UCD and from experience everything he touches has something seriously corrupt/unfair/self-interested motive behind it.

Also, I heard there's 17 rooms in the med centre but sure there's only a couple of Doctors, what's all the space for? Looks badly thought out.

I hope it gets rejected before another disaster befalls UCD. everything seems to go wrong in this college

I'm highly skeptical. Looks like its being rushed through at the end of the year with nio debate. Bet ya somebody will make a feck load of money off UCD students with this. No guarantee it will cost 35million, I expect a collossal over-run.

Hope for the sake of UCD this doesnt get passed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Not a chance

I will be in college for another couple of years, but I won't be in Belfield, and even if I do venture up, I never use the student centre.

Let them take out a loan and have students pay for it when it's open.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Exactly...

The 25m pool is foolish - Glenalbyn in Stillorgan is undergoing a refit soon, Westwood have a 50m pool and there's the NAC. A 50m pool paid for by the college would be a big attraction to people coming here, not some half assed addon run by an inept SU executive.

A 50m pool with a competition-grade seating which is *open* for use by *ordinary* students is a common feature of many US and European universities. Often it's free for students and staff!
    Some years ago my dad worked just outside Boston and I came over for the summer, there was a small IT style college beside our house. The 40m pool was 1 dollar for as long as you wanted. The area was very quiet in the summer as the college serviced a large number of surrounding towns, so you pretty much had it to yourself. My dad asked the guy there what the deal was, and he says they just commit the budget for it and that's that.

A debating chamber is useless, what they do need to do is reform the use of rooms. For example services can't assign rooms in Quinn - why not?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The government pays my fees, so all I have to do is not pay anything at all, and I'll be sure that I'm only excluding the SU funds.

I don't really know why you're jumping to the defence of the SU ss, it's not that I don't like the SU, it just hasn't proven itself to be worth the money I pay towards it every year. I don't see that I have anything extra in my college experience as a result of the SU, but of course, I could be wrong.

Let them take out a loan and have students pay for it when it's open.

That's quite a good idea. Nevertheless:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It's hardly trolling if I go through with it. If you want to see me vote yes, drop down to the science lecture building around 3, that's when I'll be casting my ballot.

Once again, suck it.

oh no its definatly not sangre...he wouldnt be seen dead in the science building:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Voting no as

a) I'm gone after this summer
    b) I think the existing Student Centre is under utilised as it is
    c) The new centre is badly thought out and unrealistic

That's quite a good idea. Nevertheless:
    I like how the image isn't from today!...

I like how the image isn't from today!...

and how do you know that? I know IHatePoorPeople and I took the photo about an hour ago! BTW he is agreeing with you about voting yes!

The dates, the question, the ballot paper...

• Advertisement

The dates, the question, the ballot paper...

Well that is the ballot paper that was handed out in the science block! I am telling you I took that photo of him casting his vote! What question do you see there?

My mistake, actually, I've just seen where the pixelation had me confused. That, and the fact that this WOULD have been Q3 had the constitutional referenda gone ahead!

My bad! I'll know to trust people that I don't know and only speak to over the internet in future...

Yes he took the photo, yet both his hands are in it????

My bad! I'll know to trust people that I don't know and only speak to over the internet in future...

Fair enough, can I have your credit card details for a survey I am carrying out? :D

Blowfish wrote:
    Yes he took the photo, yet both his hands are in it????

No I took the photo of him voting! He asked me to!

Fair enough, my mistake

Fair enough, can I have your credit card details for a survey I am carrying out? :D
    Of course...
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could work out what the numbers are

thanks but I have already withdrawn money on Robin's credit card to pay for my drinking tonight! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Fuckers

Advertisement