Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing elective...

Options
  • 13-04-2006 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me what the deal is with failing electives? Would you I have to repeat the year?
    I'm in 1st Science, and there's no exams for my elective :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

That would imply continuous assessment really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I'm sure I already failed the continuous assessment aspect.
    [lie]Through no fault of my own no less![/lie]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

thats a dilly of a pickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

ul pass by compensation if u do well enough on the other exams! check out ucd marks and standards on the exmas page!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

If you get an E, you can pass by compensation if you do relativly well in your other subjects. If you get an F, it's a repeat in August more than likely. If you fail the repeat, under the new system, you will take the elective again next year, as well as all your 2nd year stuff.

The system's new though, so I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

As far as I know, the pass by compensation is up to the discretion of the lecturer, you don't automatically get it if you receive an E in the exams

dajaffa wrote:
    If you get an E, you can pass by compensation if you do relativly well in your other subjects. If you get an F, it's a repeat in August more than likely. If you fail the repeat, under the new system, you will take the elective again next year, as well as all your 2nd year stuff.

The system's new though, so I'm open to correction.

You mean if you fail an elective you DONT have to repeat the year? You move on to 2nd year and take one more subject again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Please god let that be the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well, one of Hugh Brady's aims with the modularisation is that eventually there won't be repeats, you just carry whatever you failed and do it again the following year. In certain courses there may be some modules you have to pass though. I know for me (it's health sci and things always seem to be more complicated for us), one of my modules included a placement, and we absolutley have to pass that particular module or we can't move into second year. I don't think that there's many like that one though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Regarding possible compensation check this link and enter the ''Understanding your Semester Grade Point Average (GPA) - a guide for students'' link.

E grades may convert to PCM (pass with compensation) where you have completed and obtained passing grades in modules accounting for 75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage (usually 9 modules) and the compensation GPA for the attempt at the stage is 2.25 or greater. Provisional E grades are then considered compensated and final grades of PCM are awarded. The grade of PCM carries a grade point of 2.0.

** F is a failing grade. You will have to repeat this module in the autumn, lunless otherwise advised. In a small number of cases, the module (or a similar module) may be offered again in the second semester by the School. In these cases you may be able to take the module in the second semester. The module must either be repeated or substituted with another module (consult your Programme Office for advice). Where modules are repeated, the grade point is capped at 2.0, irrespective of the actual grade awarded.

My understanding of this is that once you pass at least 9 out of 12 of your modules while you gain at minimum 2.25 Grade Point Average (see bottom of linked PDF page) then you can compensate for at least one failed E grade module but it isn't exactly clearcut to me how many modules you can do this with. Maybe I'm wrong on all this. Just to be sure, what does anyone else think all this means?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Wow. UCD's education system just rocks, dunnit.*

*Note: May be sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Get in touch with the course lecturer, they may be able to offer an alternative, you might find you can still pass the module with their help.

Maybe get in touch with your programme officer too, I've found them very helpful in my course this year

I had the same system in Griffith and it more student friendly then the previous system. It aims to give you enough chances to get through your classes and move on to the next year. Dosnt have any bearing on the quality of the teaching . In my opinion its the good side of modularisation as in all fairness the old system of "all exams in the summer, fail and repeat. ) Alot of colleges now use the modularisation system and I know its gonna pain very many of you hear so let me set this up....

It the American Way!

Advertisement