Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards and e-mail problem

Options
  • 13-04-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I cant use boards.ie or e-mail to send more than about one sentence. It hangs. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Well, your 3 sentence post quite clearly contradicts itself, does it not?

Your question is so vague and broad as to be completely unanswerable as it stands.

What hangs? Your browser? your email client? Your PC? Are you losing your network connectivity? Are you getting any error message? Are you using a mail client or do you have web-mail? Do you have to reboot? What operating system are you using?

Do some investigating and supply more information. Until then, nobody can answer your question with anything other than blind shots in the dark.

Regards,

Liam

Fluffer,

It occurs to me upon re-reading my post that I may have come across as snotty and dismissive. That's wasn't my intention. Gently chiding perhaps ;).

Anyway, supply some more informormation and you'll no doubt get some replies from the many (less snotty) readers of this forum.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Must keep post short... Thats why. For both html e-mail (yahoo and gmail) and boards when I hit reply or send it tries to load the next page and it never does. Never sends.

Likewise i cannot login to myspace. Though that may be a Vietnamese censorship problem. This is about as much info as I can post in one post without it hanging.

Ok. You need to establish if this is an application or a network problem.

What browser are you using?
    Have you tried a different browser? If so, are you seeing the same behaviour?
    When it "hangs", can you enter a different address and continue browsing or do you have to restart the browser?
    Your point about myspace notwithstanding, is the problem generally restricted to uploading and not downloading?
    Have you tried restarting the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

oO

Oo

Are you writing from home or elsewhere?
    Hav....

oO

Contact your ISP.

Writing from Vietnam. Gmail etc were working before.
    My ISP are unhelpful and generally incompetent.
    Firefox and IE6. Restart no good.

And,in Vietnam... home or business? Type of connection? how long has it been like this?

Problem seems to be related to uploading of info to html forms. Logins, posting, e-mailing etc. I can play games online no problem. Bittorrent and others work fine in both u/l and d/l. strange failure.

Home. ADSL 2. 2MBPS. Speedtouch 536 modem.
    A week or so the problem has existed. Thanks so far lads. Difficult to communicate using short posts.

• Advertisement

Its the "hang" that still has me puzzled. What sort of hang is it? That is, is the browser waiting interminably for a response that never comes? Or does the application completely freeze and is useless and has to be restarted?

The fact that you are experiencing the same behaviour with different applications would point towards the network as the problem.

My next step would be to see what's actually happening on the network.

Download Ethereal, fire it up and start sniffing before you submit a form.

Basically it timeouts. I can stop and enter a new webpage.
    I have no idea how to read the ethereal information.

A sniffer may be a bit advanced...ahem.

Start -> run-> cmd
    In the box: tracert www.google.com & after that, ping www.google.com
    Paste result..if you can.

Tried. Cant. Bloody annoying. I'll try to ring the ISP tomorrow and explaing my situation in pigeon english.

Basically it timeouts. I can stop and enter a new webpage.
    Ok, that to me also suggests a network issue. Any chance you could beg or borrow a laptop or other PC to eliminate anything local to your existing PC as the problem?
    I have no idea how to read the ethereal information.
    Sorry. Just a thought.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

This is just a thought; have you a program using port 80 ?

Maybe a virus or some server program ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I've experienced this before. It's an MTU issue. If you're using Windows, I can't give you much more than that, except to look for a utility called DrTCP - I think that's what I used to fix it, but it's a good while ago. If you're on Linux, I can be more specific - let me know if you need more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

tomk wrote:
    I've experienced this before. It's an MTU issue. If you're using Windows, I can't give you much more than that, except to look for a utility called DrTCP - I think that's what I used to fix it, but it's a good while ago. If you're on Linux, I can be more specific - let me know if you need more details.
    For windows the utility for the problem tomk has identified is http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/TCP-Optimizer.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Thanks, Your Holiness. :D

Cheers lads. Ill tell you how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Do a network capture when you are replying to a post and you'll see where it is failing
    www.ethereal.com do excellent software to help diagnose your network/application issues.

can you post a tracert from your pc to www.boards.ie?

Advertisement