Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying henna in Dublin?

Options
  • 13-04-2006 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a tattoo, playing with designs at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere I could buy some henna in Dublin to paint em on and give myself an idea if I'd like the designs on myself or if they're just the "good-in-the-head" sort of idea...

So I'd be really grateful if anyone knew of anywhere around that I could get some?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I have seen large blocks of it in Lush on Westmoreland St, if that helps, I presume the Henry Street branch will have some too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

That's for hair dying if I remember correctly, I'd bet it also stains skin... Thank you!

That's for hair dying if I remember correctly, I'd bet it also stains skin... Thank you!

Yep it was hair dye.
    I'd imagine that you might get it cheaper in Asian shops on Moore St or Mary St.

In fact that's where I'd look first before the hyped price you'll no doubt pay in Lush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Are you talking about just plain natural henna or the special "kits" you can buy for tattooing?

I buy my henna in Down To Earth (health food shop) on St. George's Street. I can guarantee it's a hell of a lot cheaper there than you'd pay for it in somewhere like Lush.

Bear in mind though that, while it will stain skin, the natural stuff isn't sold specifically for tattooing and is very messy, so you may find it too difficult to work with.

Edit: Just noticed Blub2k4 mentioned that the Lush stuff is sold as hair dye. This isn't completely natural henna, it's modified for ease of use in dying hair (as I said, henna is messy stuff), and will not be as effective for dying skin as the pure powder. Your best best is to go into a health shop like the one I mentioned and buy a plain pack labelled simply "henna", not "henna hair dye" or anything like that. It's also worth noting that if you're looking for black as opposed to red (the natural colour of henna), most of the stuff you'll find over here will also be modified slightly, and will not stain as well as the red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭penguincakes

Great thank you all very much... Turns out drawing on your own shoulder ain't quite as easy as I'd imagined, and I guess henna will be even worse, but I suppose it's all practise... :cool:

• Advertisement

I was in the Asia Market on mary St and they have tubes of the henna that the Indian women use ceremonially on their hands at 1.50 for a smallish tube, I dunno how viable that would be but have a look in there.

Advertisement