Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics

• 13-04-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

does any1 know where i could get notes on electromagnetic induction and particle physics??

have decided more or less not to do electricity, any1 got any advice on that plz? but ill do the experiments, i hope.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

You shouldn't really need notes for particle physics...Even in the book its only abotu 10-12pages long.Its very similar in the exam papers every year as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You could always try using the syllabus as notes if you're stuck. It's on the examinations.ie website iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Electricity covers quite a lot,including,sometimes, the "easy" comprehension question. I wouldn't leave it out,but what do I know? Leeson Street physics notes are tremendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

electricity is way to big to leave out, don't gamble, it could backfire terribly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I wouldn't leave out electricty either. I knew none of it up until about 4 weeks before the exam when i decided to just bite the bullet and get it learned. Once you get the basic concepts i.e. charge, current voltage, it's grand. And worth it.

• Advertisement

Electricity is pretty useful too, as far as I can make out from the papers an electricity question always comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Rapid Revision physics is probably the best physics book going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

leaving out electricity is too big a gamble.....cover ALL the mandatories if you are still gonna consider leaving it out.Im going to go as far as magnetic flux and then leave out that extra little bit

Im leaving out most of electricity,I'm doing parts of it...I really hate that god damn part of the book.Its made me hate physics

I will however cover it enough for mandatory experiments of course,as theyre the easy section of the paper to get the marks in.Should easily get 35/40 in each of them which is a lovely start to an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Im leaving out most of electricity,I'm doing parts of it...I really hate that god damn part of the book.Its made me hate physics

I will however cover it enough for mandatory experiments of course,as theyre the easy section of the paper to get the marks in.Should easily get 35/40 in each of them which is a lovely start to an exam.

Why not 40?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Most people tend to skip physics, so the questions tend to be easier. Same goes for applied electricity vs. particle physics. Almost everyone does the particle physics and few do applied electricity. At least do some of the electricity so you're not tieing a noose around your neck, you might find 1 electricity question really easy. It's worth studying. That's my 2c anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Archimedes, Density, Volume etc.. has never come up so that could certainly appear this yr. Also there has been a question on circuits for the last two years so this year they might put on something like Joules Law or Coulombs Law which hasnt come up since 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

my teacher thinks Hooke's Law, Centripetal Force, Circular Motion stuff will come up, it hasnt come up in a few years..

i dont like those chapters, and will be annoyed if thats the mechanics Q6..

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Rockerette wrote:
    my teacher thinks Hooke's Law, Centripetal Force, Circular Motion stuff will come up, it hasnt come up in a few years..

i dont like those chapters, and will be annoyed if thats the mechanics Q6..

I think they're easy, but well I've done them in applied maths too.:D

Lord Oz wrote:
    Most people tend to skip physics, so the questions tend to be easier. Same goes for applied electricity vs. particle physics. Almost everyone does the particle physics and few do applied electricity. At least do some of the electricity so you're not tieing a noose around your neck, you might find 1 electricity question really easy. It's worth studying. That's my 2c anyway.

No the applied electricity questions are very difficult, much harder then particle physics ones(which are really easy and repetitive!)definitely stick with particle physics!

:| wrote:
    No the applied electricity questions are very difficult, much harder then particle physics ones(which are really easy and repetitive!)definitely stick with particle physics!
    Completly agree.
    Our teacher did Applied Electricity with us,I hated it.It was long,and pretty hard with a lot of awkward diagrams to learn.
    So I had to go teach myself the easier particle physics,which you can learn in about 2hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Completly agree.
    Our teacher did Applied Electricity with us,I hated it.It was long,and pretty hard with a lot of awkward diagrams to learn.
    So I had to go teach myself the easier particle physics,which you can learn in about 2hours
    yea with paticle physics you can pretty much learn it by yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

applied electricity is easier for me than partical physics.
    a question on electronics such as the transistor a a voltage amplifier cant be that bad.

Best thing to do is cover both and then decide which to do. TIs what I did, neither of them are that long.

Went with particle physics in the end, but mainly because I thoguht it was more interesting, and I want to do TP next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭whassupp

:| wrote:

I much prefer the applied elec because although the q's can be more difficult it's much easier to understand and relate to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Two mnemonics:

LENM

Lesbians Eat Neat Muff (rather rude but gets the job done...)

Leptons consist of Electrons Neutrinos and Muons

BNP

Brown Nutty Poo (or British Nationalist Party, whichever you prefer)

Baryons contain Neutrons and Protons.

I'll never forget my Physics teacher telling the class that :D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

i went to the tute and pat doyle (the legend) didnt even bother covering applied elec with us in class. he did it outside of school and recommended that we not turn up!

i way prefer particle physics. its like chemistry for retards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, I've got PD as my full time teacher in Cus, and he's absolutely brilliant.. He told me I could leave out Electricity once I do all the experiments needed, and also to know capacitors etc, as it's small and likely.. He said, you can basically choose between Mechanics and Electricity, if you're not looking for 100%.. I'm planning on doing Mechanics, even though my dad's an electric engineer, although I might change over.. Not sure yet..

anyone got any more tips from the great mr doyle? i went to the easter revision course but i forget what he said! it was wayy to early in the morning for me :p

lol, that's why I was realistic and didn't bother going to them!

Eh, Make sure to know Heat.. apparently..

Wez wrote:
    lol, that's why I was realistic and didn't bother going to them!

Eh, Make sure to know Heat.. apparently..

damn, even though its apparently the easiest thing on the course, i still dont get any of it...

I found it pretty easy to be honest, and I'm not a geek in any shape or form..

For latent heat experiments, just remember the formula:

heat to melt ice + heat to warm melted ice = heat loss of warm water + heat loss of Calorimeter

ml + mc∆ө = mc∆ө + mc∆ө

M(s/i)L(s/i + M(s/i)C(s/i)∆ө(s/i) = M(w)C(w)∆ө(w) + M(c)C(c)∆ө(c)

(s/i) = steam/ice (w) = water (c) = calorimeter

That's really the only remotely hard thing in heat, apart from the Experiment to calibrate a thermocouple thermometer, the part where it says to put the 'hot junction' in Glycerol, I haven't a clue why glycerol is used..

Mechanics and Electricity is something I don't think I'll ever understand..

Wez wrote:
    Mechanics and Electricity is something I don't think I'll ever understand..
    Same as me :( Everything else on course is fine,and pretty easy....except for those 2 damn sections which also happen to be the largest parts.I think ill do mechanics and skip electrcity except the experiments and enough for short question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

ah i way prefer electricity to mechanics! but u cant really leave either out because the formulae come up in different question!

• Advertisement

Wez wrote:
    the part where it says to put the 'hot junction' in Glycerol, I haven't a clue why glycerol is used..

Its to even out the heat or something, stop one bit of it getting hotter than the other

Advertisement