Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Magnet taking me for a ride?

• 13-04-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

I moved into my new house last weekend and decided to go with Magnet since they seem to offer a good product. After speaking to the sales guy ("I"), he assured me that i'd be up and running within 5 to 7 working days. He also said that since my area (Booterstown) isn't fully covered yet, I'll have to proceed with a normal DSL service over my Eircom line untill they have upgraded the exchange. After going through a very complicated contractual process, I thought that was it and needed to wait. He said someone will call me and confirm my method of payment.

Today I got a call from "A", who confirmed payment and also requested my Eircom account number. I said that I don't have this yet and she said that only after I give them this they can continue with my application which normally takes 10 working days. After responding that "I" said it would only be 5 to 7 working days, she said he was wrong.

My question would be - if "I" made mistakes when he sold me the product, how do I know he didn't make any more mistakes? Should I bail out now since I am in my 7 days get-out-of-contract period or what? Also, since they said that I can for the moment only avail of their DSL over my Eircom line, do they really need my Eircom account number now to proceed with the order, even though they'll only take over my line from Eircom in a couple of month's time once the infrastructure is upgraded in the area?

Can anybody please give me some advice on what to do? TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They need your eircom a/c no because they're reselling eircom's broadband and eircom needs the a/c no. The delay is primarily up to eircom, so Magnet can promise you all they want but it's eircom that delivers the service. About a week or two sounds about normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Blaster99 wrote:
    They need your eircom a/c no because they're reselling eircom's broadband and eircom needs the a/c no. The delay is primarily up to eircom, so Magnet can promise you all they want but it's eircom that delivers the service. About a week or two sounds about normal.

Ok, but I am still curious about one thing. Since, for the moment, I'll still use my Eircom line and use Magnet's broadband service, do they still need the Eircom account number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'll try again. Magnet resells eircom's broadband service before their own service is available in an exchange. It's called bitstream reselling. eircom needs your a/c number to set this up at their end. Magnet needs your eircom a/c number so they can give it to eircom.

One thing I'm curious about is if Magnet has a special deal with eircom so that the switch-over from the bitstream service to the LLU service is seemless. This is a distinct possibility because they use shared LLU unlike Smart. If that's not the case, then you will be without broadband for about a month during the switch-over while eircom arses around with the LLU stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

they do that a lot btw. they said they would provide to us in lucan and left it for nearly 2 months.... then we decided no we don't want to wait any longer and canceled it and went back to BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭goldilocked

To the OP,

My experience has been a similar one to yourself. I signed up this day two weeks ago, and assumed that my 10 day "cool off" period was nearly done. I got called by someone from magnet yesterday to get my payment details, so I rang today to see when I could expect service. It seems that my request has only been sent to eircom today so my cool down period of 10 working days starts today.

The people on the phones at Magnet do not give the impression that they know whats going on, and over the few phone calls with them I've had all kind of conflicting information....but...they're the only people providing broadband in my area at the moment and if it works, it'll be worth it.

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

To the OP,

My experience has been a similar one to yourself. I signed up this day two weeks ago, and assumed that my 10 day "cool off" period was nearly done. I got called by someone from magnet yesterday to get my payment details, so I rang today to see when I could expect service. It seems that my request has only been sent to eircom today so my cool down period of 10 working days starts today.

The people on the phones at Magnet do not give the impression that they know whats going on, and over the few phone calls with them I've had all kind of conflicting information....but...they're the only people providing broadband in my area at the moment and if it works, it'll be worth it.

G.

First line support techs in my experiance, do not understand the product they are supporting.

When I first got Magnet in they would phone back if they said they would, now however I rarely get calls back from first line. Second line techs are better at keeping call back promises though.

Later,

Advertisement