Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP on Airplanes?

• 13-04-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 6 hour flight to New York coming up soon and I am dreading the boredom!!!

What is the situation with regards bringing PSP's onto planes? Are they treated like laptops and mobile phones!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

No problems, a mate of mine and myself had a great ProEvo5 session on the way back from Italy ....
    Same rules as laptops ... turned off on Takeoff and landing only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

nice one! That will pass some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭brian_boru

i presume so, havent tried it yet, but i think its a laser product thing like cd player, dont use it at take off or landing, but once at level air its safe!!! dont blame me if ya crash t plane though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just so you know aer lingus are very picky about what they allowed to be used.

when i had an ipod i was told to turn it off as *it's laser* might screw with the aircrafts navigation system.

we all know ipods don't have lasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

apparently PSP's are fine on planes, but it's a few months in, so staff may have been informed of the lethal potential of that laser, which may shoot OUT of the psp and crash the plane in a ball of fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

apparently PSP's are fine on planes, but it's a few months in, so staff may have been informed of the lethal potential of that laser, which may shoot OUT of the psp and crash the plane in a ball of fire

It's a high risk occurance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've played PSP while airborne a few times, and I'm still alive, so give it a shot! Not literally though, that'll probably get you arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Can't you pass the time by watching your little screen in front of you or are not clever enough to fly with Virgin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Will not cause any problems, but I was on a thompson (I think) flight the other month and they specifically mentioned not using the wireless on PSP's though during the pre-flight thingumy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Skyuser wrote:
    Can't you pass the time by watching your little screen in front of you or are not clever enough to fly with Virgin?

man i rather play some psp.
    is there wifi on planes? that wouldnt be possible no, what a stupid question i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

IEEE did a report a month or so ago and found that all electronical devices interfer with the airplane. Its just that when your not taking off/landing and your altimeter changes by 10,000 feet all of a sudden your less likely to crash the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Theres reports saying they interefear ... theres reports saying they dont.

Tbh, as long as you dont use it during take-off and landing its fine. I know I read an article onboard AerLingus [their inflight mag] where Brian O'Driscoll says how he used his PSP during flights [I think he even said somerthing about using WiFi too].

Someone should tell Bin Laden about this. He can bring down a plane by watching a UMD of Farenhit 9/11.......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Skyuser wrote:

Was only ever on one of their flights and I love them to bits, but they dont fly from Dublin. Getting cleared by US immigration at Dublin is a stress reliever. Customs when you reach the US is another thing… “Honestly, I’ll skip the cavity search if that’s ok, thanks”
    Skyuser wrote:
    Someone should tell Bin Laden about this. He can bring down a plane by watching a UMD of Farenhit 9/11.......

Oh, you just know the CIA and every other agency are watching this thread now, lets see so-far we got "Airplanes", "New York", "Italy", "if ya crash t plane", "aircrafts navigation system", "lethal potential", "crash the plane in a ball of fire", "Bin Laden", "9/11", and "can bring down a plane". Nice. Will I lock this tread before it gets any worse?

monument wrote:
    Oh, you just know the CIA and every other agency are watching this thread now, lets see so-far we got "Airplanes", "New York", "Italy", "if ya crash t plane", "aircrafts navigation system", "lethal potential", "crash the plane in a ball of fire", "Bin Laden", "9/11", and "can bring down a plane". Nice. Will I lock this tread before it gets any worse?
    Hmm maybe you should. I know what the secret service can do, i've seen Prison Break :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Skyuser wrote:
    Hmm maybe you should. I know what the secret service can do, i've seen Prison Break :D

No, I was only joking... just stay on topic...

Winters wrote:
    Theres reports saying they interefear ... theres reports saying they dont.

Well it is the most recent report.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/mar06/3069

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Hobbes wrote:
    IEEE did a report a month or so ago and found that all electronical devices interfer with the airplane. Its just that when your not taking off/landing and your altimeter changes by 10,000 feet all of a sudden your less likely to crash the plane.

Exactly, have flown with to the states recently and never had any issue about it apart from take off and landing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I was playing it on the flight back from NY with aer lingus and was just askd to turn it off when we started the landing aproach same thing happened on a ryan air flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭the corpo

as long as you make sure wifi is off, and you only use it outside take off and landing you're fine.

you know what i hate? people using their damn phones on the plane. would it *really* kill you to wait 30 seconds til you get off the plane?

• Advertisement

Kristok wrote:
    I was playing it on the flight back from NY with aer lingus and was just askd to turn it off when we started the landing aproach same thing happened on a ryan air flight.

You should of said "But what happens if the pilot gets sick! Someone needs to keep control of the plane!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I flew around the world earlier this year. Used the PSP on all flights. B.A., Quantas, American Airlines and Air Lingus had no issues with PSP on flights once it's turned off on take off and landing..

Advertisement