Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Flooring Question

Options
  • 13-04-2006 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the stupid questions.... I'm a total newbie at this.

I will be buying wooden flooring this weekend. I am still undecided as to whether I go for semi-solid or solid. For those not watching the Bargains forum, there is a guy in Carlow selling solid oak for €20 per square yard, and semi-solid for €15.

So price isn't an issue.

I just need feedback on which is less hassle to lay. Its only going downstairs, and the floor is concrete. I believe that if I want to lay solid floors I have to glue sleepers to the concrete and nail the boards down. If I go semi-solid, I can just float the floor over some underlay. True?

My other question is with regards to the skirting board. The rooms I want to do have skirting boards in already, and they are flush with the floor. I assume they should be removed before laying the floor?

(BTW - I won't be doing the job - I'd just like as much info as possible before making a decision as to which direction to go....)

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

If you remove the skirting board you will get a much better finish, otherwise you will end up with that awful edging which I personally don't like.
    Semi solid is less prone to bending and twisting and you can't tell the difference when the floor is down.
    Both types can be used as a floating floor in my opinion.
    Leave a 10mm gap around the room where the floorboards meet the wall, this is for expansion with a floating floor.
    We always put a 6mm layer of softboard under the floorboards for noise reduction.
    If the concrete is fresh then put some polythene between the floor and the floorboards.
    There are some very strong glues from Sika that you can use to glue both types directly onto the concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks Viking House. Can skirting boards be removed easily, or will I have to put in a new set after the floor goes down?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TmB wrote:
    Thanks Viking House. Can skirting boards be removed easily, or will I have to put in a new set after the floor goes down?
    Chnaces are you'll probably break half of them removing them. There are some very nice scotias available that don't look too bad and you can get them to match the floor.

Advertisement