Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running 64 bit version of Windows? Any problems?

Options
  • 13-04-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads

Am considering moving to the 64bit version of Windows but I just want to gauge whether many has made the move and whether they have had any problems or not?

Would appreciate if you could mention what problems you have had and if/how you fixed them.

Cheers

Are you running 64-bit? Any outstanding issues/niggles/problems? 14 votes

Running 64-bit - No Problems
    0% 0 votes
    Running 64-but - Experienced some problems
    28% 4 votes
    Running 32-bit....
    71% 10 votes

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Everyone that uses it switchs back to 32bit after a while, driver support is appauling, so if you can do without soundcard, printer, any other PCI cards.........

Then you should be ok:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hmmm anyone gonna contribute somemore ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Been using it perfectly for ages. Only device that doesn't work is my bluetooth dongle but I can survive without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the only problems i've had on my laptop which is 64-bit is finding a decent firewall.

for anti-virus i use avast.

just looking at your spec there you may have a problem finding logitech drivers for your mouse that's if you use their drivers, radeon drivers are available on 64bit so you should have no problems there.

I was recently playing around with a 64 bit install of server 2003.. I had all the services stripped out so it performed the exact same way as Windows XP.. Once thing I noticed is how much smoother things ran in general when compared to the 32bit version of XP. Stability also increased dramatically..

The only issue I had with drivers was with ATI.. The hardware functioned perfectly but the ATi Control Panel etc would not start nor could I get OC'ing apps like ATi Tool working under 2003...

I am wondering whether these issues are also issues in XP Pro 64-bit.. If they are, I will hold off buying a copy.. Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Whats the difference between the 64bit and 32bit version of XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

64 but runs faster with 64bit cpus i would say ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Whats the difference between the 64bit and 32bit version of XP?
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    64bit and 32bit

XP64's optimised for 64bit hardware pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well I was testing it (as part of my work), and as such had it running on every piece of hardware under the sun. It is great and smooth to use, BUT its device support is not good. It's great for a server, but not for day to day use.

Vista will be the version of 64bit to get as it should be supported top to bottom, x64 is really only there for the server world and to try and drum up support for the platform. I know when we were trying to get drivers created for it, alot of companies were very reluctant, and didn't even have it on their roadmap for a good while.

The difference between them is really that x64 is based off the server 2003 sp1 branch of code, and hence alot smoother/more stable/more optimised, but as said, at the cost of driver support.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah, what the lads said

Installed 64bit on the RTM date of xp 64 bit and it was great until I wanted to use mundane perifs like printers, scanners et al :(

Can't blame Microsoft as they warned / notified HW manufacturers years up front. Perhaps we're all waiting for VistaGodot?

• Advertisement

Anyone experience the issues I have with the ATi CCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

My phone mp3 and printer software wont install. Appauling driver support. But windows is alot smoother. Wait for vista. It looks so cool.

Is it not compatable with 32bit applications at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Using Win Xp 64 bit for a good while now and I have a few issues like make sure to use the right 64 bit drivers not 32 bit drivers. That will cause you real problems in regards to what drivers u use for your motherboard, sound card or graffics card.

Also getting 64 bit drivers for my old hardware like my logitech webcam is just not possible. Windows itself is stable and performance is great.

I had issues also my ATi CCC software but I resolved this by downloading newer software from the ATi site. Works fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Conzy, it works fine with 32 bit apps, its drivers that are the problem. You can't use 32 bit drivers wtih XP x64, so if your hardware manufacturer (or some other people) hasn't bothered to make some, you're shagged.

Thanks;)

I will be waiting for Vista before i go X64

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

conzymaher wrote:
    Everyone that uses it switchs back to 32bit after a while, driver support is appauling, so if you can do without soundcard, printer, any other PCI cards.........

Then you should be ok:p

Wow, thats seriously out of date info..

Running XP64 Since RC1. All my HW works fine:

A64 4200 Dual Core
    All the parts on the mobo (DFI Lanparty)
    7800GTX
    Soundblaster XFi
    LSI MegaRaid SCSI
    USB DVD
    USB Card Reader
    G15 Keyboard
    Razor Mouse
    HP Printer (basically all of them are native)

All of the above either have native 64Bit drivers or released drivers by the maker. FYI, Vista 64bit will not be any different than XP64, they are using the same drivers in many cases. Vista 32bit will have full driver support, Vista 64 will likely be like XP64 for some while.

Im fine with that, but seems the rest of you want something that works zero effort. If you want speed and a bleeding edge (Windows) OS, XP64 and Vista 64 are for you. If you want to plug in a load of old junk and expect it to work, stay with "legacy" Windows 32bit of some sort.

Matt

Alot more drivers will be in-box for Vista (also getting rid of some of the ancient legacy drivers in both 32 and 64bit). Also alot of the companies dev's are specifically working on drivers with Vista's release date in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Matt Simis wrote:
    Wow, thats seriously out of date info..

No it isn't. What was valid one year before RTM is still valid enough one year after RTM. Two years later. A very long time for a modern OS :eek:
    Matt Simis wrote:
    Running XP64 Since RC1. All my HW works fine

Good for you :)

No workies for me though and I sure hoped it would. Fair enough with a common mobo, graphics card and USB devices, but luck-of-the-draw with PCI and need I even suggest older (par/ser) interface devices

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I only really use it for the adobe gear, but I did have my problems.
    No.1 The Firewall
    No.2 32bit IE explorer would not see the internet, this was due to the motherboards internal firewall even though it was disabled, however 64bit would work, but ActiveX and win update would not work with it.

All in all, I found it ok. Being fully tested for a Premiere Pro 2 desktop and Photoshop desktop, I had no faults.
    Tested on a AMD dual core system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Sparky-s wrote:
    IE explorer

Pfft...firefox ftw

Ahem, anyway - surely there's more up to date drivers out recently? I mean, XP64 support is growing.
    I'm still going to wait for Vista methinks, 3d alt-tabbing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i installed it and ran some benchmarks and I can tell you speeds are nearly exactly the same as 32 bit

its no use yet as most the programs/games are designed in 32bit, so windows xp x64 will run them in 32bit mode and wont make any difference in speed to them, in fact some have been reported to run slower in windows 64bit

if you are going to install it, just bank on it being the same speed as the 32bit version for most if not all your programs/games

and driver support is still a bit ropey for some devices, just check that out before you install

gline wrote:
    i installed it and ran some benchmarks and I can tell you speeds are nearly exactly the same as 32 bit

its no use yet as most the programs/games are designed in 32bit, so windows xp x64 will run them in 32bit mode and wont make any difference in speed to them, in fact some have been reported to run slower in windows 64bit

if you are going to install it, just bank on it being the same speed as the 32bit version for most if not all your programs/games

and driver support is still a bit ropey for some devices, just check that out before you install

I am not saying it performed better as such.. It was just a better experience to be honest.

I am not saying it performed better as such.. It was just a better experience to be honest.

in what way??
    it runs everything at pretty much the same speed as 32bit. so how was it a better experience?

In general UI smoothness and responsiveness I found it better to use. Of course your only interaction with the computer is probably benchmarking gline :p

astrofool wrote:
    In general UI smoothness and responsiveness I found it better to use. Of course your only interaction with the computer is probably benchmarking gline :p

not just benchmarking, even just using it i found it to be no different

gline wrote:
    in what way??
    it runs everything at pretty much the same speed as 32bit. so how was it a better experience?

It smoother in general. When you click the start button, it is instant.. There is no random chugging as the hard drive is used etc.. Its just a smoother experience..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Only problem I had was the lack of drivers for my old TV tuner card, and my webcam, neither of which I used anyway.

Someone asked the difference between 64 bit and 32bit:

64bit is based off the same codebase as Server 2003, so it gets all the improvements and stability of that. And it does run all 32 bit apps I've tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

DScaler on sourcefourge

will handle most TV cards as most use philips tuners(any iv had a chance to use that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GavinX

Sit back and wait for Vista. Thats what all the hardware manufactures are doing. x64 XP didnt take off coz people assumed Vista would have been here sooner. The late arrival of the OS has left x64 XP in a limbo. That said, Ive been running Vista Betas and its all good so far (other than the need for a bigger rig ... but its a good excuse for an upgrade):D

Advertisement