Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many

Options
  • 13-04-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

How many bullets would you need on a licence for comp. shooting

does a 1500 match shoot 1500 bullets or is it a measure of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Others who know better will no doubt be along shortly, but unless it's some form of machine-gun event (:eek:), I really doubt any course of fire requires 1500 rounds!

AFAIK, most target shooters get by with 500-1,000 rounds on their licence, with occasional rumours of Olympic type shooters having 5,000-10,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

PPC 1500 requires 150 rounds, max score per round 10, hence 1500.

Have a look at the following link!

http://www.wa1500.org/

Best Wishes.

PS If you have problems increasing the number of rounds on your cert as is often the case, just apply for a EU Firearms Pass, they have to put 500 on it, all you need is a photo and copies of your certs, they have to give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rovi wrote:
    with occasional rumours of Olympic type shooters having 5,000-10,000.
    Not rumours. If you get batch tested ammo, the smallest amount you can buy is 10,000 rounds. Most of the serious ISSF shooters would have 10,000 rounds or more on their licences. I've heard of up to 20,000 rounds per licence. Since it's either air pellets or .22lr rounds, it's not quite the same as 20,000 rounds of .223 though :D

Thanks Sparks, that's what I was thinking of, but I wasn't too sure of the details.
    I suppose the serious clay pigeon lads would have a goodly sized number on their licences too, the default 100 rounds wouldn't go too far at that lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Meclor

Is the limit on your licence, your annual limit (how many you can buy during that annual licencing period) or it is the amount of rounds you can have in your possesion at any one time.

• Advertisement

Looking at a licence right now, and the text goes-
    ...and to purchase cartridges or rounds of ammunition therefor, provided that he/she shall not have in his/her possession or carry at any one time more than xxx cartridges or rounds of ammunition thereof.
    Translation: it's the amount of ammunition you're licenced to have in your possession at any one time.
    Your local friendly gun dealer isn't supposed (:rolleyes:) to sell you more than what's on the licence, and you're not supposed (:rolleyes:) to have more in your possession.

That's the legal position, and we all know that it's strictly observed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

the great thing is that the law sugests that you shoot the last round before buying the next brick,box etc, as the limit on your cert will almost corispond to the ammount you get in a sale of ammo

up top of the licence the is aq space for "subject to conditions____ listed below"
    if none is in that space does the max ammo no. apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That "subject to conditions below" bit only applies to the Wildlife Act conditions attached to the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

where does it say that number of bullets is a condition,and if you are not subject to the conditions below....

Advertisement