Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new VW golf - need help with 2 options

Options
  • 13-04-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭

Hello

I'm about to buy:

Black sportline
    17" zandvoort alloys
    front fogs
    alarm
    armrest
    rcd 300 speaker upgrade

My 2 options that I need help with are:

- pearl effect paint - is this worth the extra €482? I keep looking out for black golfs on the road but have no idea which ones have it or not

- 3 or 5 door - is the 5 dr worth the extra €940? Don't mind practicality just what looks best? I'm going for a sporty look obviously but the 5dr seems to look good also

Any suggestions would help greatly, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

3 door looks better especially if you're going for the sporty look.How many 5 door Mk V Golf Gti's have you seen on the road ? That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 5 door is more practical and will probably appeal to more potential buyers come selling time. But if you don't need the extra doors then why pay extra for them?

My advice would be to spend the extra cash on the FSi engine, the 1.4 litre is sluggish and the 1.6 litre 8 valve is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would go for the 3rd golf.also i have blue graphite pearl effect paint.it looks nice but theres not much difference than the normal paint.
    also i would not buy a 1.4 , go for 1.6 or 1.6fsi as well worth the money.also if you are buying a new car and youlike sound then go for the extra speaker option as the basic radio has only 4 door speakers and 2 tweeters so sound is not the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I always find it weird when I hear people say a 5dr car will sell easier.

There's more than enough of a market for both and generally, 3 dr cars look better than 5 dr in hatchback form.

As for the paint - it's up to you. Some people prefer flat black for example, others prefer a pearl/metallic finish.

Keep it 3dr and go for a flat colour and there's your extra money for a 1.6 FSI!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Moanin wrote:
    3 door looks better especially if you're going for the sporty look.How many 5 door Mk V Golf Gti's have you seen on the road ? That says it all.

Hey ! What's wrong with 5 doors :D

DSC_0080a.JPG

The 3 door looks better Ok but unless you travel on your own alll the time the 5 door is more practical - even getting a coat or jacket out of the back seat is a PITA and if you carry passengers a 3 door is a total PITA

My 2c worth

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Moanin wrote:

you are wrong there.there are LOADS of 5 door gti's aroundi went to the garage yesterday and there were 6 gti's ready for collection for customers and guess what 5 of them were 5 door.and i know the 3 door looks look and i would buy it but the 5 door also looks cool and is practical

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Hi

Thanks for responses so far - what I'm really stuck on is the pear-effect paint. One of the sales people said most black golfs out there have it and another in a different garage said most don't. I really don't want to make a mistake on this - none of the garages seem to have both so I can compare - any suggestions please - black matt or black pearl-effect?

Thanks,
    Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Don't get me wrong Crowded, I think the GTI looks good in 5 dr, I thought the same about the MKIV but I think as 'normal' cars go, 3 dr is normally better looking.

You're right though, if you have kids or lots of people using the back seats in your car then 5 dr is more practical. For me, a 3 dr is fine.

OP - it really is up to you. Flat black can be waxed to give the wettest, deepest shine but it will show up marks that bit easier.

Metallic/pearl are just effects they add to the paint and it will look slightly different. I would say that the garage that told you most cars have flat paint is talking rubbish.

If you are someone who spends a lot of time caring for and washing their car by hand, spending time keeping the paint waxed etc then a flat colour will be fine for you - if you're not, then just go for the pearl colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No problem BB !

OP the RCD 300 is a total heap of S**t My GTI has 10 speakers and it's still S...
    So I don't know if it's worth spending anything on it.

I actually went back to the dealer the day after I got it as the sound is so poor and I thought it was faulty,but all the others were the same.:(

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

I'm another new GTI 5door owner!

I back what the others say, 3 door looks that little bit more sportier but its down to you - if you can live with having to get out and pop your seat everytime your giving lifts etc then go for it!

As for the color - flat black looks fantastic when clean, but keeping it clean is the problem, be prepaired to wash it regularly. If thats not your cup of tea get the pearl.

Spend the extra cash on the 1.6 fsi engine, the 1.4 is far too weak for a car of that weight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The fact that you pointed out that you can't tell which cars have pearlescent paint and which have not, answers your question for you.

I wouldn't bother with it. But would go for the 1.6 FSI engine if you could push for it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

3 door looks sportier, but the 5dr is more practical and will probably resale better for you. 3dr cars have a very limited market.

Have you seen both colours in the metal...? Try to compare them both that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's probably just me, but I feel (very) small cars that might look good or even great in 3-door form, generally look sh!te with 5 doors. Maybe I should start a generic thread about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

they look very good in 5dr imho. the wheels make it tbh.
    we have one in 5dr in comfortline with the misano wheels in the same red as crowdedhouse and it looks the business and its not even a gti. as otehrs have mentioned the 3dr is a totally inpractical car if u even need to put ur coat on the back seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I personally think the 5door looks better. When you decide to sell it you will have more buyers with a 5 door and for and extra €950, to me it makes sense to spend the bit extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

lomb wrote:
    as otehrs have mentioned the 3dr is a totally inpractical car if u even need to put ur coat on the back seat.

First thing I noticed when I went from a mondeo to 3dr focus as my main car too. :)

You learn to live the inconvenience though.

Advertisement