Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Dsl

• 13-04-2006 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi, recently came accross this company online. Just wondering if anyone has there sat broadbad and what the service is like. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

SKY Dsl is a one way satellite service, i.e. uses your existing dialup for upload, which makes it quite expensive, and should only be a last resort if you can't get broadband any other way.

SKY Dsl use a satellite receiver card in your PC and their own software, which I found interfered with Windows XP big time. Their support is c**p.

I gave up on it and went for the Irish alternative (mediasat) which uses an external satellite modem with ethernet to the PC so you can use a router.
    This is a far superior system.

Unfortunately I am still paying for SKY Dsl; once they get their claws in they insist on the 12 months minimum contract. So be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I also have it, Hoagy described it pretty well there. I have found it to be fine if a small bit unreliable. Win XP and Skydsl is bit like Ian Paisley and the pope, However I have a peace process inside my own and have had no huge glitches in the last 4 months. I have learned how to deal with it and keep it chugging along. The support team are not that bad, I had them ring me about three times, twice at the start as I have having problems aligning the dish and once in the summer as I had not started the PC for 3 weeks as I was in America and It didn't work after that. Hoagy you should download the new Skydsl Software from here it is much more reliable than the old version and most of the problems I find now are caused exclusively by Windows XP and not Skydsl.

As for Mediasat they are more expensive and offer a slower download speed, I went for Skydsl because of their speed and cost. My dialup is controlled now that I am on BT IOL Anytime flat rate 180 @ €26.99 per month.

I'd say try getting broadband a different way first if possible. Satellite is my only option, so I went for it, Dial-up had me driven mental. I am hoping to scrap Skydsl next year as hopefully a Community Group Broadband scheme will deliver the goods. It could be done right now but it will be held off to use it as a political weapon for Fianna Fail....C*nts.

Advertisement