Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing SSI

Options
  • 13-04-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Im building a website that uses Server Side Technology i.e SSI. Im using Dreamweaver and when i hit F12 to test in IE, Opera or Firefox it doesnt work because i'm using Server Side techology to dynamically construct the pages.

Is there a quick fix solution to this or do I have to wet up a "local" webserver on my machine (Windows 2000 box).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

yup, you will need to setup a local enviornment
    I use IBServer for testing PHP & MYSQL locally
    http://ibsoftware.d2digitalmedia.com/ibserver/

If your doing ASP then istall IIS thru your windows 2000/xp CD
    (add new components)

Google setting up sites locally in Dreamweaver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Feck, sounds messy. Ah well.
    Thanks Rollo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Can I just say something ?

You sound like you are new to this ( no offence ). I think you should consider using open source server side technology instead of using microsoft based stuff, so instead of using IIS use Apache as a web server with PHP or Tomcat. To use Tomcat you will need to know some JSP and to do that you will need the basics of java programming.

An open source platform is widely used on the web and is free, so you can learn away without having to pay Microsoft any licencing fee's.

Search on www.google.ie and there you will find plenty of info and tutorials. Ask me if you need help with anything :) Good luck with it

Yup I am fairly new to using Server Side technology, I have built a few small sites with just a couple of pages but now need to use Server Side stuff to manage lots of content.

Not too sure what your getting at. As far as I know the Website is running on redhat so I presume that an open source web server such as Apache is being used. I could run a PHP test script on the server to find out exactly what Software is running if I wanted.

I was just wondering was there a way to test SSI locally on my machine before uploading to the host.

I have 6 months Client/Server Java & MySQL under my belt but it was all GUI frontend not a web frontend. SSI just seemed like a good option to replace frames which is what I was used to working with. I may however have to learn a bit of PHP and go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are several easy to use apache/mysql/php packs you can download for windows to test:
    http://hotscripts.com/PHP/Software_and_Servers/Installation_Kits/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

JSP is the one to go for, since you have experience with java and mysql. There are loads of tutorials on the web on how to build content-driven websites using a combination of these two, and they can be quite powerful.

blacknight wrote:
    There are several easy to use apache/mysql/php packs you can download for windows to test:
    http://hotscripts.com/PHP/Software_and_Servers/Installation_Kits/index.html

Thanks blacknight thats the kind of thing im looking for.

Advertisement