Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will try to not eat meat anymore

• 13-04-2006 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I decided I will try and not eat meat soon ,and maybe call myself a vegetarian for at least a few months anyway.
    I'm 29 and quiet large ,about 16 stone large so I think it's high time to start as I mean to go on.
    Is there anything recommended to substitute meat in the first couple of weeks??,some equipment I have to lift during work is in excess of 80 kilograms so I can't afford to eat lettuce for breakfast lunch and dinner.
    Anyone got a remedy to help me ween away from meats ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

Quorn, tofu, beans - you've alot to eat apart from lettuce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Health food shops often have lots of vegetarian and vegan stuff. If you want to eat the same meals you've always eaten then just replace the meat with the imitation stuff.

There's lots of websites and books giving natural veggie/vegan dishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Is there anything recommended to substitute meat in the first couple of weeks??,some equipment I have to lift during work is in excess of 80 kilograms so I can't afford to eat lettuce for breakfast lunch and dinner.
    Anyone got a remedy to help me ween away from meats ?
    Check out the website charliesgym.com
    That guy is a "raw vegan" and is a prizewinning bodybuilder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

If you're having difficulties cutting out all meat straight away and want to do it more gradually then at first at least cut out the more processed meats - sausages, anything coated in breadcrumbs, dried or cured meats such as bacon etc. Try to only have really good cuts of lean meat, maybe from an organic producer? The amount of salt in some processed meats can make you crave them more I always think. Eventually then you can start to reduce to no meat at all.

With regard to losing weight just be aware that simply cuttting out meat won't necessarily have a huge impact. If you have quorn instead of chicken but still smother it in a creamy sauce then you're not making a huge difference. You'll need to look at your entire diet (and lifestyle as well) and not just one thing.

Advertisement