Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with immobiliser for VW passat

Options
  • 13-04-2006 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I got a new key fob off ebay recently cause the old one was cracked.
    I put the chip for locking/unlocking the car into the new key fob and I also put the old key blade into the key fob as well.

Now when I try to start the car it doesn't recognise the key. The light on the dash for the electronic immobiliser then starts flashing.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

If someone from VW has to call out to reprogram the key/computer how much will it cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

you need to get the fob coded to the car.
    needs to be done by main VW dealer.
    should cost 1 hours labour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TheAceFace wrote:
    I got a new key fob off ebay recently cause the old one was cracked.
    I put the chip for locking/unlocking the car into the new key fob and I also put the old key blade into the key fob as well.

Now when I try to start the car it doesn't recognise the key. The light on the dash for the electronic immobiliser then starts flashing.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

If someone from VW has to call out to reprogram the key/computer how much will it cost?

Thanks
    You say you replaced the "chip" - was this an electronic pcb or simply a small metal rectangle. What year is your Passat. Does the key blade have "W3" engraved on the blade? Did the blade you bought with new fob have "W3" engraved? Does the fob have remote central locking - if so does this still work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This post has been deleted.
    This is correct. But VW changed the transponder in 1999/2000. The new transponders are reprogrammable - they change the transponder ID every time the car is successfully started - they are not interchangeable AFAIK.

Advertisement