Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual EL vs PL thread.

• 10-04-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Kingp35 wrote:
    Should progress past the first round anyway. Danish opposition may be a tricky tie but I believe Shels have the ability to get past them but the Danish side would certainly fancy themselves to go through. A match against a Scottish side would be very interesting indeed.

COuld have been a worse draw so Shels must b reasonably happy with it.

Shame your avator wasnt removed.

Good draw for shels. Getting the away leg first is crucial too as we showed in Poland 3 years ago. Best of luck to them and hope they get to play a scottish side.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

speriamo wrote:
    Shame your avator wasnt removed.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

as an offtopic guess, i'm thinking the avatar comment was inspired by your sig being removed (as inidcated by your....sig)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

eyerer wrote:
    as an offtopic guess, i'm thinking the avatar comment was inspired by your sig being removed (as inidcated by your....sig)

He doesnt like my avator? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Knowing Speriamo's posts, he probably doesn't like that you have an English teams crest in your sig. I can't possibly see whats wrong with your actual avatar, unless he is offended by cartoon arses!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Knowing Speriamo's posts, he probably doesn't like that you have an English teams crest in your sig. I can't possibly see whats wrong with your actual avatar, unless he is offended by cartoon arses!

Yeah Barts arse can be quite offending.

Ah so he has a problem with me commenting on an EL team because I have a Leeds crest in my sig. All I can say to that is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Sorry I meant the crest. Leeds has nothing to do this country or even dalkey:rolleyes:

Shels to play Hibs in the 3rd round? Hope so........

speriamo wrote:
    Sorry I meant the crest. Leeds has nothing to do this country or even dalkey:rolleyes:

And whats your point? So I support and English club, so what?

It's not even worth arguing with him tbh. He doesn't want you to support a non-Irish club, do you really want to argue against that?? :)

No, I certainly dont want one of those arguments :D

You cant "support" a club in another country. Since you're probably Irish how about supporting an Irish club? Not looking for an argument just reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Kingp35 goes to watch Bray often, if I'm thinking correctly! :)

Obviously people from over here can't really support (in the true footballing sense of the word) English teams. My take on all of this is that these people are followers, or viewers, of football, with a leaning towards a particular team. You can't support from a barstool, simple as really.

Anywho, this is way off topic now! AirBaltic do reasoabley priced direct flights to Vilnius, for those interested! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

since this is still OT

I think the thinking here is flawed, I for example make regular trips to Old Trafford and around Europe (when we're still in it) to follow Manchester United. I'm a member of the supporters club and spend a significant portion of my income making sure I get to see as many games as possible wherever I happen to be...

How is that not supporting a team?

Fair play for supporting Bray.

Absolutely no credit for travelling to england to watch an english side. How about spending some of your income supporting an Irish club in your own country instead of funding a corporation?

speriamo wrote:
    Fair play for supporting Bray.

Absolutely no credit for travelling to england to watch an english side. How about spending some of your income supporting an Irish club in your own country instead of funding a corporation?

How about not telling people what to do?

[/Ironic Response]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

speriamo wrote:
    You cant "support" a club in another country. Since you're probably Irish how about supporting an Irish club? Not looking for an argument just reasons.

Really? Why follow it with this then?
    speriamo wrote:

I'll take it you only shop in Dunnes, watch RTE and listen to U2 and the Corrs then. As trolls go you're pretty average.

Back OT, its a decent draw for Shels, first two rounds shouldn't be feared and a tie against a Scottish team will be a nice test of the theory that the EL and the SPLE aren't that far apart in terms of quality. If its Hibs I think Shels will have to be on top form.

speriamo wrote:
    Since you're probably Irish how about supporting an Irish club? Not looking for an argument just reasons.

I do support an Irish club!! I didnt mention that I did because I dont think I need to justify the fact that I also support an English team. My family owns 4 season tickets to Bray Wanderers, happy?
    Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Being there in the good times and bad, applauding your team off the pitch, being back in the stands a few days after a bad defeat and roaring your team on to hopefully a vital 3 points, is support

I understand what your trying to say but by this logic a team can only have as many supporters as its stadium holds because people who dont go to the games arent true supporters. Know what I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kingp35 wrote:
    I do support an Irish club!! I didnt mention that I did because I dont think I need to justify the fact that I also support an English team. My family owns 4 season tickets to Bray Wanderers, happy?

I understand what your trying to say but by this logic a team can only have as many supporters as its stadium holds because people who dont go to the games arent true supporters. Know what I mean?
    It's not worth it Kingp, just leave him on his merry trolling way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

speriamo wrote:
    If you're so concerned about "supporting" everything Irish, how about you only post here in your native tongue.

To be honest I think someone who is so concerned such as yourself, would be far more concerned about defending your countries heritage than which bloody group of males you watch kick a circular object about.

However something tells me you probably have little, if any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

speriamo wrote:

Go and watch a GAA game, that actually is Irish if you're so patriotic.

Lemlin wrote:
    Go and watch a GAA game, that actually is Irish.
    Haha, I can't believe I didn't think of that beautiful irony!

• Advertisement

Lads, don't feed the troll! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Haha, I can't believe I didn't think of that beautiful irony!

So nice to see two of the boards biggest enemies, uniting under one banner to rid of us of that vile troll :p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

In all honesty i see Sperimos point and i can see where hes coming from, I don't agree but for y'all to tell him to support GAA is just as bad,

I mean we are one of the few countrys that £support" another country's league, it really is kind of bizzare, particularily when you think of the "hatred" we have for England else where.

I mean its not a secret that I'm a Hoop, but you must see the Irony in supporting a UK team? That aside

I think Shels will be battered in Europe this year, they will get to face the danish club but i expect them to be humbled, I hope otherwise although Ollie makes it hard for me to be sympatethic to Shels

Interesting responses to a reasonable question. Apologies if it is trolling. Hardly a sin is it?

I'm not telling anyone what to do. It was a question. At this stage we have to find out the reasons why someone will support a foreign club ahead of an Irish club. Look at the answers and try to improve the league that way. IMO there is no reason why this league cant progress a lot further. The talent is there, the results in Europe are getting better and tv coverage is a vast improvement.

As for shopping in Dunnes and speaking as gaeilge, heritage etc that is a pathetic childish way of avoiding the issue.

Yeah I'm a Dubs fan but am deeply disappointed that Thomas Davis brought a judicial review to delay us moving into the stadium in Tallaght.

AGAIN not looking for an argument or smartarse juvenile answers but reasoned debate.

Go raibh maith agaibh:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

speriamo wrote:
    You cant "support" a club in another country.

BUt you can, as has been pointed out already. I'm a ST holder at Spurs, by the end of next month I'll have been to 15 home PL games, 6 away PL games, an FA Cup tie (and I had to cancel plans to travel to Everton and Newcastle away due to my car breaking down)

On top of that, as English football gained the ascendancy in this country over the last 30 years, a whole generation of fans have begun to believe that you don't have to attend a match to support your team. Indeed, its that fact that encourages the big European teams to spread their commercial wings in new markets like the Far East and US, i.e. fans don't have to come to you, you go to them.
    speriamo wrote:

Why not? Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't do? I choose to spend my money on a ST and travel to Spurs because I can. I'm under no obligation to spend that money locally, much like you have no obligation to shop in an Irish supermarket, or to purchase music by Irish artists.

I'm a Shels fan, also by choice, but I have no direct link with any EL club. I had a season ticket last year, didn't get one this year because I knew I'd miss a lot of games through the summer because of work and personal committments. But I'm not a Shels fan out of some deluded sense of "buy guaranteed Irish", I'm a Shels fan because they're the first team I went to see play with any regularity.
    speriamo wrote:
    I'm not telling anyone what to do. It was a question.

But you've passed judgement on everyone who doesn't adhere to your vision of a football fan, both here and on other threads.

speriamo wrote:
    Interesting responses to a reasonable question. Apologies if it is trolling. Hardly a sin is it?

I'm not telling anyone what to do. It was a question. At this stage we have to find out the reasons why someone will support a foreign club ahead of an Irish club. Look at the answers and try to improve the league that way. IMO there is no reason why this league cant progress a lot further. The talent is there, the results in Europe are getting better and tv coverage is a vast improvement.

As for shopping in Dunnes and speaking as gaeilge, heritage etc that is a pathetic childish way of avoiding the issue.

Yeah I'm a Dubs fan but am deeply disappointed that Thomas Davis brought a judicial review to delay us moving into the stadium in Tallaght.

AGAIN not looking for an argument or smartarse juvenile answers but reasoned debate.

Go raibh maith agaibh:D
    If I were just a pure GAA fan would you accept criticism from me about following "an English game"? I doubt it.

Kingp35 follows an EL team as well as an English team. I follow an LSL team as well as an English team. What's your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If you want another EL vs "the others your all bastards for supporting english clubs" start a new thread. This is about Intertoto 2006 as continuing this argument here is unfair on the Shels and EL fans who are in the intertoto cup thing.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Very simply:

You don't necessarily support a club because where you are from. You support them for reasons that are beyond reasons, it's why non-football fans don't understand why you do it.
    It's easier to build up a connection because it is in your area, but it doesn't mean a connection can't be built up on TV and through travelling as much as possible.

Just because you did it by locality, while others did it some other way, doesn't change the nature of the support, or it's validity.

PHB wrote:
    Very simply:

You don't necessarily support a club because where you are from. You support them for reasons that are beyond reasons, it's why non-football fans don't understand why you do it.
    It's easier to build up a connection because it is in your area, but it doesn't mean a connection can't be built up on TV and through travelling as much as possible.

Just because you did it by locality, while others did it some other way, doesn't change the nature of the support, or it's validity.

No we do you dont.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm a massive GAA fan that follows an English soccer team but couldn't care less about the Eircom League. Where does that place me?

That places you in the "massive GAA fan that follows an English soccer team but couldn't care less about the Eircom League" bracket.

Lemlin wrote:
    I'm a massive GAA fan that follows an English soccer team but couldn't care less about the Eircom League. Where does that place me?

Go to the GAA board so and profess your love for the game :)

My opinion is that i dont care who anyone supports or watches from their futon, simply put football fans go to football matches. Not once a season but every week rain, hail, odd bit of sun, and sometimes snow but always cold for some unknown reason. They have season tickets with their names on them and no matter what team your league is in going every week makes you a fan.

Now other people like football and watch from their futons or pub whichever, In my opinion they arent really fans of football more fans of a spectacle as without the TV they wouldnt see "their" team so they follow what the media shows them (in case media = tv, think MOTD i have been to PL games where teams massacred the other but on MOTD its portrayed that other team had the better and also in press ). These people are easy to spot as they usually have a jersey from the top four teams in PL. There never Yeovil fans? These people only exist in Ireland also for some reason we are the only country in the world where 90% of the "fans" support teams from another country. So this debate only exists here.

Now a debate between leagues in this case take Man utd worth a Billion with the best players available and then comparing it to a league with ummm people who get paid to play football not a lot but still paid is complete and utter retardness, the amount of times i have seen "EL is **** Man utd are better" and nearly cried that these people are allowed vote and drink. "No ****ing **** dumbass" they are worth a billion the others are not.

Back to fans go to matches thing, fans are 99% usually from the area that the club is in (oddly thats why they are called clubs) and usually identify with the club at some level and feel that the club represents them. Its actually a old school tribal thing but with football and "away" fans who 99% of the time support the other team and are from a different locality. Again fans usually from the area as most PL fans will point out Man utd have a lot of non manchester based fans (people say that to my bro in ireland but never get the point that hey are Liverpool fans with a dublin accent :confused: )

So most EL fans hate these PL fans, why i dont know i wouldnt want them supporting Pats they are usually clueless idiots who repeat what Andy Gray says as there opinion or say after 5 replays that it was handball, whereas i was at the match and it was never handball from my one view of it :)
    Most of these fans arent true fans these are the type that after a 21 match unbeaten run lose one game and DEMAND the manager be sacked on an internet forum. And also most of the Irish PL fans only follow 4 clubs in PL and of course Celtic a true Irish club if ever there was one.

So how can any EL fan want these people to go to EL when they dont even go to PL matches? Will it improve the EL if suddenly 200,000 fans start going and whinging at "our" players? Will the standard of a player getting €300 a week grow that he is suddenly **** hot and plays better? Before any EL fan starts saying crap like "ahh you should go to the EL man" think of what your inviting, a fan who only sings when their winning and only knows football from a wideangle (Andy Cole is a ****ing legend and only going to games shows how damn he good he was, he never stopped running ever!, but on Tv you only seen him with the ball).

In every league of football there are the top teams and the bottom, without the bottom there would be no top. I would watch any football be it in the park outside my house, on tv anywhere, i like football as what i see i can do (maybe not on demand sometimes after 27 tries but i can eventually) Its why people like football it easy to relate to as all you need is a size 5 ball. But to honestly either compare or abuse someone cos they follow a team in a different league is retardedness of the highest order. It all comes down to each to their own, if someone wants to support Doncaster from Dublin, good for them go to their games be a fan, or watch em on tv be a person "who watches football on tv". if Neil Roberts is your hero well thats deadly but comparing and absusing is seriously stupid on so many levels. The bottom line is we all like football and have varying views on it (think it was handball ,it wasnt handball) but those who dont go to games well they the lower class of a fan.

Nice rant there :D

kdjac

Nice rant there

Indeed, it wreaks of elitist hogwash, which has the amount of logic which the following statement has:
    Those who go to games are a lower class of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

KdjaC wrote:
    My opinion is that i dont care who anyone supports or watches from their futon, simply put football fans go to football matches. Not once a season but every week rain, hail, odd bit of sun, and sometimes snow but always cold for some unknown reason. They have season tickets with their names on them and no matter what team your league is in going every week makes you a fan.

so the fact that little jonny has to work 12 hours down the mine on a saturday and cant afford the time or the money to go to matches means that he and the other 50 million fans around the world arent actually fans?

oh noe!

Turn on any tv with a match on , inside the ground are fans, those watching on tv are watching on tv. Makes perfect sense to me fans go to games.

Also bear in mind only Irish people who support the "a team" and dont go will have an issue with the statement " fans go to games".

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i live about 20 miles from white hart lane, but i dont go because i play hockey every saturday.
    and i have other obligations.

quite frankly i think your opinion that only fans go to games is absurd.

Well actually, I'd imagine some people who can't quite afford the tickets would have issue with it aswell.
    Turn on any tv with a match on , inside the ground are fans, those watching on tv are watching on tv. Makes perfect sense to me fans go to games.

That is indeed a logical statement.

Firstly, the people you describe as 'bad fans' also fill up the stadiums of most top teams, even if they go every week.

Secondly, those watching on TV can still be fans.

Ultimately what you've done is found a problem with a certain type of fan within football (ones which most people dislike) and then generalised from the fact that a lot of them watch football on TV, then in turn all people who watch TV must be like them.

It has the same level of logic as the following:
    Some fans, who go to the stadium every week, are racists and make racist chants. All fans who are in stadium are racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

actually, i live about 20 miles from white hart lane, but i dont go because i play hockey every saturday.
    and i have other obligations.

quite frankly i think your opinion that only fans go to games is absurd.

You choose to play hockey over watching your team play at home ? How can you even call yourself a fan ? Honestly !

I have seen my team win the league to been last in the entire league in ireland all in the matter of 10 years. I have travel countless number of miles in the blistering cold and snow etc etc to support my team. I have a season book with my name on it for the last 15 years. i have donated my time and money to my club in anyway i could in order to help them out ( sell lotto tickets , work in the bar , be apart of the supporters club , been apart of the co-op) Infact i have shares in my club.

Im a fan.

YOU MY FRIEND PLAY HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!

PHB wrote:
    That is indeed a logical statement.

Firstly, the people you describe as 'bad fans' also fill up the stadiums of most top teams, even if they go every week.

Secondly, those watching on TV can still be fans.

Ultimately what you've done is found a problem with a certain type of fan within football (ones which most people dislike) and then generalised from the fact that a lot of them watch football on TV, then in turn all people who watch TV must be like them.

It has the same level of logic as the following:
    Some fans, who go to the stadium every week, are racists and make racist chants. All fans who are in stadium are racists.

:confused:

Most football fans i talk to are adults, any adult can get to any game anywhere if they want too, and if adults have income any amount of income can get you to a game if you really want to go. Assuming the majority of people posting here are adults (which it is in the soccer forum). You would assume anyone who watched and liked football could go.

Where bad fans and racists came in i have no clue, racists are everywhere even grannies, i would say 90% of any countries pop are racists. Bad fans? people at games are fans. If you assume i meant people who dont go to games are bad fans, i have no idea where you got that idea.

People who watch MOTD and say X was **** where i may have been at the game and seen X and thought he was deadly and worked his arse off may have lost the ball once but generally earned his wages, but at least tried and entertained me. Thats a fan?
    Thats someone you would call a fan?

Sarges post make absolute perfect sense to me, he supports the worst team in ireland and still goes :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sarge wrote:
    You choose to play hockey over watching your team play at home ? How can you even call yourself a fan ? Honestly !

I have seen my team win the league to been last in the entire league in ireland all in the matter of 10 years. I have travel countless number of miles in the blistering cold and snow etc etc to support my team. I have a season book with my name on it for the last 15 years. i have donated my time and money to my club in anyway i could in order to help them out ( sell lotto tickets , work in the bar , be apart of the supporters club , been apart of the co-op) Infact i have shares in my club.

Im a fan.

YOU MY FRIEND PLAY HOCKEY !!!!!!!!!

That is such a ridiculous way of looking at it. If anything WWM being involved in sports actively is a far better use of his time than sitting on his arse in the stand, eating pies (or prawn sandwiches), going to all the tottenham matches.

People on this board have such a warped view of what supporting something really means, mostly reducing it to whatever they do and classify everyone else as being wrong and immoral (somehow).

Sure you might as well all be spouting "I support lamp", idiots, complete and utter, small headed, craptacular idiots.

• Advertisement

Thats someone you would call a fan?

That's an entirely different debate. What about someone who went to the game and had the same opinion, that the player was ****e.

What about somebody who watched at home, and had the same opinion as you.

What you've done is identify a type of fan you dont like, the fairweather fan, and somehow twisted into your mind that all of those people don't go to the stadium, which is just silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People who go to games, rather than watch on TV, I find, have a much better reading of the game.

You don't only see what the camera shows you, or what the pundit of the day tells you he saw.

For example, I might watch a game on the TV and think that PlayerWinger X had a crap game, when in fact the truth of the matter is that he ran up and down the line all day, but got no service from his full back or central midfielders. If the pundit never mentioned this fact, you would never know, and think that PlayerWinger X was fairly anonymous today, he had a quiet game. You would have a totally different view if you were at the game screaming for the full back and central midfielders to "play it wide you gobsheens, PlayerWinger X has been in a fugging great position to deliver a cross all afternoon and you keep ignoring him", as I have done on many occasions at a certain left full whose only weapon seems to be long diagonal balls into the keepers hands.

It's a different thing watching games on TV and actually going to games, you feel more "involved" or something. It's intangable, that feeling, and I have never gotten it sitting in a pub watching football.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Also bear in mind only Irish people who support the "a team" and dont go will have an issue with the statement " fans go to games".
    Jesus, how wrong are you? Even those that go to Ireland games these days are bad. The last game I was at was the Faroe Islands game, and I was in the East Lower Stand. I stood up singing "Come on you boys in green" and some twat shouted at me to sit down and shut up. He should have stayed in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Football supporters mostly start supporting their team when they are very young. Most of us here are of an age that when we were young the Football available here was of a very poor quality and not very attractive to watch. The Eircome League got very little TV coverage where as English soccer was freely and extensively available on TV. It is hardly surprising then that we supported "foreign teams" form a young age and once you are hooked by a team thats it for rest of your days .

This may be changing but it will take a long time to reverse the current situation. I know from my own kids and their friends that they do take and Interest in The Eircom League. The Eircom league games I have seen of late are of a better quality and entertaining to watch. They are not Premiership quality but they certainly have improved.

The EL needs to be properly managed and some weekly tv covrage would not go amiss to build up support. The management also need to show more consideration to the fans and prospective fans when decisions regarding the game in this country are made if they are to maximise support for the EL.

The Muppet wrote:
    Football supporters mostly start supporting their team when they are very young. Most of us here are of an age that when we were young the Football available here was of a very poor quality and not very attractive to watch. The Eircome League got very little TV coverage where as English soccer was freely and extensively available on TV. It is hardly surprising then that we supported "foreign teams" form a young age and once you are hooked by a team thats it for rest of your days .

This may be changing but it will take a long time to reverse the current situation. I know from my own kids and their friends that they do take and Interest in The Eircom League. The Eircom league games I have seen of late are of a better quality and entertaining to watch. They are not Premiership quality but they certainly have improved.

The EL needs to be properly managed and some weekly tv covrage would not go amiss to build up support. The management also need to show more consideration to the fans and prospective fans when decisions regarding the game in this country are made if they are to maximise support for the EL.

Some good points there.

Eircom League Weekly is shown on TV3 each Monday, but generally at the ridiculous timeslot of 11.25.

Here's a list of all the games that have/will be shown live, and I would imagine more will be added if the need arises.

Setanta Cup (13 Total)

Monday February 20th
    Linfield v Derry City, Windsor Park, 8pm

Monday February 27th
    Cork City v Drogheda United, Turner's Cross, 8pm

Tuesday February 28th
    Derry City v Shelbourne, The Brandywell, 8pm

Monday March 6th
    Cork City v Dungannon Swifts, Turner's Cross, 8pm

Monday March 13th
    Linfield v Shelbourne, Windsor Park, 8pm

Tuesday March 14th
    Dungannon Swifts v Cork City, Stangmore Park, 8pm

Monday March 20th
    Shelbourne v Linfield, Tolka Park, 8pm

Tuesday March 21st
    Dungannon Swifts v Drogheda United, Stangmore Park, 8pm

Monday March 27th
    Derry City v Linfield, The Brandywell, 8pm

Monday, 3rd April
    Shelbourne v Derry City, Tolka Park 8pm

Monday 10rd April
    Cork City v Shelbourne, Turners Cross 8pm

Tuesday 11th April
    Linfield v Drogheda United, Windsor Park 8pm

Saturday 22nd April
    Setanta Cup Final.

eircom League (16 Total)

Series 3 Friday 24th March
    Cork City v Bohemians, 8.05pm RTE2
    Tv Viewers - less than 130k

Series 8 Friday 28th April
    St Patricks Athletic v Cork City, 8pm Setanta Sports

Series 9 Friday 5th May
    Shelbourne v Drogheda United, 8pm Setanta Sports

Series 10 Friday 12th May
    Cork City v Shelbourne, 8pm Setanta Sports

Series 11 Friday 19th May
    Derry City v Cork City, 8pm Setanta Sports

Series 12 Friday 2nd June
    UCD v Derry City, 8pm Setanta Sports

Series 23, Friday 1st September
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 24, Friday 8th September
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 25 Friday 15th September
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 26 Friday 22nd September
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 27 Friday 6th October
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 28 Friday 13th October
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 29 Friday 20th October
    TBA, 7.45pm TG4

Series 30 Friday 27nd Octoberber
    TBC, 7.45pm RTE2

Series 31 Friday 3rd November
    TBC, 7.45pm RTE2

Series 32 Friday 10th November
    TBC, 7.45pm RTE2

Series 33 Friday 17th November
    TBC, 7.45pm RTE2

FAI CUP (7 Total)

Friday 26th May, FAI Cup 2nd Round, 7.45pm TG4

Friday 25th August, FAI Cup 3rd Round, 7.45pm TG4

Friday 29th September, FAI Cup Quarter Final, 7.45pm TG4

Saturday 30th September, FAI Cup Quarter Final, 7.45pm TG4

Friday 27- Sunday 29th October, FAI Cup Semi Final 1, RTE 2

Friday 27- Sunday 29th October, FAI Cup Semi Final 2, RTE 2

FAI Cup Final, RTE2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

/Me waves at MJ.

I raised this point earlier in the thread but ill say it again. If you think that to be a "real fan" of a club you have to go to their games every week then surely this means that a team can only have as many "real fans" as its current stadium allows.

I also want to bring up one other point. Most of my mates have no interest in the EL and support english clubs but they play football for clubs in the LSL and have done for years. Are these guys, who actually play the sport but dont go to watch their teams games, "real fans"?

I dont see it as a question of real or non real fans, imo it doesnt get any clearer than inside a ground are fans, outside a ground in a pub watching the game are people watching a game on tv.

There is a big difference between going and not going, i mentioned above most people like football as they can easily recreate what they see (albeit 27 tries or so).

I have always gone to games but how anyone who doesnt go can say they are a fan confuses me. Fans go to games, simple as.

People who play football are footballers regardless of what league/level.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Kingp35 wrote:
    Are these guys, who actually play the sport but dont go to watch their teams games, "real fans"?

No they are players. tbh only fans that go to all their teams away games are real fans. Even fairweather fans should get to all their teams home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Real Fans, get over yourself. That means then that there are only as many real fans of a football team as their is away places in a ground. That means then that their is only 5000 and probably less real fans of any football team in the premiership. And even less of any team in Ireland, you travel to all of your teams away games, if I went to all of the away games of the team I support I would not be able to spend any holiday time with my family who mean more to me than any football team. Perhaps when you grow up and get yourself some sense you will quit spouting your elitist crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Real Fans, get over yourself. That means then that there are only as many real fans of a football team as their is away places in a ground. That means then that their is only 5000 and probably less real fans of any football team in the premiership. And even less of any team in Ireland, you travel to all of your teams away games, if I went to all of the away games of the team I support I would not be able to spend any holiday time with my family who mean more to me than any football team. Perhaps when you grow up and get yourself some sense you will quit spouting your elitist crap.

I rarely get to my teams away games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement