Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual EL vs PL thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaC wrote:
    I dont see it as a question of real or non real fans, imo it doesnt get any clearer than inside a ground are fans, outside a ground in a pub watching the game are people watching a game on tv.

Those in the ground are spectators, and participants in the spectacle to an extent, but a fan doesn't have to attend a match or matches to become a fan. What if I emigrated to Australia tomorrow, would that mean I was no longer a Shels fan?

I do agree believe that fans should make a reasonable effort to get to at least a few games in their life, but regular attendance is limited to the capacity of a team's ground and no more.
    KdjaC wrote:
    There is a big difference between going and not going

Granted, but that difference does not define your status as a fan or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What if I emigrated to Australia tomorrow, would that mean I was no longer a Shels fan?
    I hope not :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also I know a fan who can't go to games because his vision is so bad. He has to watch it on TV. He still lives and dies with his team. Is he a real fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Look lads, its all subjective. The dictionary defines a fan as "An ardent devotee; an enthusiast." so if you think you fit those definitions then you should consider yourself a fan.

For me though, sitting at home watching games < going to games. You can't beat an atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'm not jumping headlong into this, but I have one question. Why is it non eL fans always get their back up the minute anyone mentions the term 'real fan'?

If I was doing a wind up, which I am very likely to do from time to time, thats what Ill do, and ill sit back and see the feathers fly again! :D:p

Because people get annoyed when you don't call them real fans.

What if I said that you're not a real football fan if you support EL because the quality is too low. It wouldn't annoy you?

PHB wrote:
    Because people get annoyed when you don't call them real fans.

What if I said that you're not a real football fan if you support EL because the quality is too low. It wouldn't annoy you?

Of course. But if someone who sits at home and watches football on TV each week tried to say I wasn't a 'real fan' I'd probably have a stitch laughing. :)

There are posters on this board who say that eL quality is below them, thats why they watch a televised product!

What annoys me, is the superior attitude these 'fans' have, yet, ask the majority of them, and they have either never been to, or attended less than 3times, the ground of the team they 'support'.
    PHB wrote:
    Also I know a fan who can't go to games because his vision is so bad.

Thats a personal choice of his. I know of a few blind fellas who are Leyton Orient fans, and go are up and down the country every week. They enjoy the athmosphere, and their friends pretty much commentate the game for them, and in some cases, they can get a live radio feed to headphones of the game. Now, in saying that, Im not trying to take away from your mans prroblem, as it must be a terrible thing to happen anyone.

What annoys me, is the superior attitude these 'fans' have

What annoys me is people who are annoyed at people with a superiority attitude, and then hold one themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Both attitudes are annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KdjaC wrote:

My opinion is that i dont care who anyone supports or watches from their futon, simply put football fans go to football matches. Not once a season but every week rain, hail, odd bit of sun, and sometimes snow but always cold for some unknown reason. They have season tickets with their names on them and no matter what team your league is in going every week makes you a fan.

I'm not a football fan, i will admit, by this definition above, but i am a supporter. To me they are one in the same. Anyone who makes an investment in the club they follow, be it attending games, buying a shirt or whatever is a fan and a supporter of their club. Going to a game once a week is an unfair assessment of what only a fan can be. I'm far too poor to attend any of the games of the team i support ( Blackburn Rovers ), besides i'd probably jinx us anyways just by showing up ;) .

btw, i cant go to league of ireland games either...i have to work friday nights as it is, so that ruins my wishes to go and see Athlone town more often

PHB wrote:
    What annoys me is people who are annoyed at people with a superiority attitude, and then hold one themselves.

So you are calling me a hypocrit then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Oh dear, how this has spiraled, my veiw is.

A) to follow any of theses point: anyone who has a dedication to any team, who makes an effort to go and watch them, makes a concious effort to buy products from the club is a fan IMO

B) There is no difference is supporting an EL or EPL team, though i will admit i find it hard to understand how EPL fans get so worked up about their clubs whn most of them never will nor really want to see the club play (as in go to a game)

C) the statment of a teams ground capacity is the amount of fans they have is trash, people who want to go to games but can't are true fans too, besides look at the grounds in ieland and in the UK rately are they sold out (bar "big games")

D) I feel that the EPL fans act like they are superior to us EL fans, they bang on about "their" clubs being better, well am i a better fan if i support benfica? they bashed Man u and Liverpool out of europe? no i am not! the reason EL fans say EPL fans aren' fans is due to that type of attitude abd their hypocracy look at all the EPL jerseys who go on about how they hate england etc. i bet there wee prem jerseys at the orange parade!

this year my job has started to mess my hours, away games are now a no go and some home games will be missed too, Im still a fan though, these are things beyond my control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

A) to follow any of theses point: anyone who has a dedication to any team, who makes an effort to go and watch them,

Bingo.

Being a Liverpool fan, sadly, I cannot afford (and even if I could, I wouldn't) to go to England every weekend to see them play. I've been to four Liverpool games in my time, two home games, the 2-2 draw with Leeds the year before last, and that game against UCD years ago. Does this make me less of a fan than someone who's gone to ten games? Or twenty? It makes me a less experienced fan, sure, but any less dedicated?

If I happened to move to England, I'd find the nearest side to where I was living (in the top two divisions anyways) and support them. Go to their games, buy a beanie hat, the works. Secondary to Liverpool, but just to get into the swing of things.

As regards the Eircom League vs the Premiership... of course the quality is going to be different. But fans are fans, no matter where you go. There are people all over the world that are diehard fans of their particular team.

Its all about what you're interested in. If I love Shels, for example, I'll enjoy seeing them beat Bohs 1-0 than see a 4-3 classic between Arsenal and Spurs... But if I'm a Spurs supporter, of course I'll like the London derby more. Even if it wasn't a classic. Why? Because you get more from the game.

That said, I'd rather watch Liverpool play Luton Town than watch Kildare County (my local side), even though there are one or two people I went to school with on the Kildare team. And to be honest, thats due to the quality of football as much as the fact I haven't a bulls notion as to how Kildare County are doing at the moment.

notwormboy wrote:
    If I happened to move to England, I'd find the nearest side to where I was living (in the top two divisions anyways) and support them. Go to their games, buy a beanie hat, the works. Secondary to Liverpool, but just to get into the swing of things.

you'd support your local club if you moved to england, but wouldn't in ireland, why? I used to live in London and i supported Barnet behind Shamrock Rovers, I used to fly to Dublin to see a game once a month, but I would watch Barnet the weekends I wasn't flying home

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    you'd support your local club if you moved to england, but wouldn't in ireland, why? I used to live in London and i supported Barnet behind Shamrock Rovers, I used to fly to Dublin to see a game once a month, but I would watch Barnet the weekends I wasn't flying home
    I just don't feel the urge to do it here. Irish football doesn't reach me here. I've tried to watch lots of EL games, but I just can't stay focused on them. Even last seasons Cork/Derry (I think, I can't really recall) decider... I just wasn't interested.

Its just not as big a thing over here as in England.

Sad, I know, but there you go.

NotWormBoy wrote:
    I just don't feel the urge to do it here. Irish football doesn't reach me here. I've tried to watch lots of EL games, but I just can't stay focused on them. Even last seasons Cork/Derry (I think, I can't really recall) decider... I just wasn't interested.

Its just not as big a thing over here as in England.

well nobody can fault you on that, its a reasonable statment. its not sad either, you just don't like it nobody can tell you what to and what not to like, fair play.

its not people like you that wind up the EL fans its the ones that go on about how our leage is ****e how the quality is nowhere near the EPL, that Chelsea would murder Cork, blah blah blah etc etc.

NotWormBoy wrote:

Yup.
    If I happened to move to England, I'd find the nearest side to where I was living (in the top two divisions anyways) and support them

:rolleyes: :D

I think Blu Sonic summed it up, so I wont bother repeating him, suffice to say, that was the biggest amount of trash I have ever read.

I think Blu Sonic summed it up, so I wont bother repeating him, suffice to say, that was the biggest amount of trash I have ever read.

Where did he say anything like that?

The quality of the Championship and Premiership is far above the Eircom League. Thats not a condemnation of the EL, its just the way it is. Its understandable that the quality is lower. And, to be honest, I'd rather watch a match of higher quality than one of lower quality (assuming that I don't have any particular interest in any of the teams playing). The vast majority of people would.

So tell me, why is it trash?

hold on don't make statments that you simply don't understand
    notwormboy wrote:
    The quality of the Championship and Premiership is far above the Eircom League. Thats not a condemnation of the EL, its just the way it is. Its understandable that the quality is lower
    thats a silly statment form someone who also states
    notwormboy wrote:
    That said, I'd rather watch Liverpool play Luton Town than watch Kildare County (my local side), even though there are one or two people I went to school with on the Kildare team. And to be honest, thats due to the quality of football as much as the fact I haven't a bulls notion as to how Kildare County are doing at the moment.
    so you state you know nothing about EL but you feel like you know enough to condemn it to being worse that english championship, no offece but get a grip! try making statments that make sense! now i backed you up on not liking EL your entilghted to support anybody be it Liverpool or Everton or whatever Brittish team are EN VOGUE at the moment, but do not make assumptions on the EL, as you might know to assume will only serve to make an ass out of u and me.

your "cokacola super divison" whatever name the put on the 2nd division is better than the EL is the type of ill informed statment that i said gets our (EL fans) backs up. Please remember we compeat in Europe, not seen many Championship teams doing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NotWormBoy wrote:
    Being a Liverpool fan, sadly, I cannot afford (and even if I could, I wouldn't) to go to England every weekend to see them play.....It makes me a less experienced fan, sure, but any less dedicated?

I think the answer to your question is yes.

Even if you could afford to go and watch your team every weekend, you wouldn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

blu_sonic wrote:
    Please remember we compeat in Europe, not seen many Championship teams doing that

Ah now blu, your comments so far have been good, dont turn them into utterly ridiculous.

I watch Championship football ahead of Premiership. I also watch and attend the EL. Outside the top four in the EL, its poor and these sides would really struggle in the Championship. The top four sides in the EL could do well but I dont think they would have enough to get promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

blu_sonic wrote:
    its not people like you that wind up the EL fans its the ones that go on about how our leage is ****e how the quality is nowhere near the EPL, that Chelsea would murder Cork, blah blah blah etc etc.
    The quality of the EL is no where near the quality of the EPL. Chelsea would murder Cork.

EL teams "compete in Europe" because they are allocated their own places because they play in their own national league. Wrexham and Swansea have also played in Europe in the past while being in the bottom two tieres of English football after winning the Welsh Cup. Competing in Europe means nothing.

blu_sonic wrote:
    thats a silly statment form someone who also states so you state you know nothing about EL but you feel like you know enough to condemn it to being worse that english championship, no offece but get a grip! try making statments that make sense! now i backed you up on not liking EL your entilghted to support anybody be it Liverpool or Everton or whatever Brittish team are EN VOGUE at the moment, but do not make assumptions on the EL, as you might know to assume will only serve to make an ass out of u and me.

your "cokacola super divison" whatever name the put on the 2nd division is better than the EL is the type of ill informed statment that i said gets our (EL fans) backs up. Please remember we compeat in Europe, not seen many Championship teams doing that

I said I don't have a clue how Kildare County are doing, not that I haven't a clue about the EL. Nor was I making assumptions. I'm making statements based on what I've seen from the Championship and what I've seen from the EL. And what I've seen leads me to believe that the quality of teams in the Championship is better than that of teams from the EL. I'm not saying thats true for ALL teams in both leagues, but overall.

And please, its not MY "cokacola super division". I don't support anyone in it, although I do keep a special eye on how Leeds are doing. And if I said that the quality of team in the PL is better than the EL, would I be lying? No, so I'll assume that I'd be getting peoples backs up because they don't agree with me when I say that the Championship sides are generally of a better quality... thats a stupid thing to get your back up over. Its a difference of opinion.

Just because you disagree with me over which league has better quality doesn't mean that I'm automatically wrong and ignorant. I don't claim to be and expert on the EL and\or the Championship, but I do take more than just a passing notice of both. I've watched a few games from both this season, or at least, most of a few games from both this season... and that what I'm basing my opinions on.

So if you want to call it ignorance, go ahead.

Competing in Europe means nothing.

Means a lot to fans of EL clubs though! :)

The quality of the EL is no where near the quality of the EPL. Chelsea would murder Cork.

EL teams "compete in Europe" because they are allocated their own places because they play in their own national league. Wrexham and Swansea have also played in Europe in the past while being in the bottom two tieres of English football after winning the Welsh Cup. Competing in Europe means nothing.
    no the point im making is we as EL fans know that Chelsea would Murder Cork thats not the point EPL is better than EL i have no doubts in my mind saying that. but its that EPL fans fly that in your face! Barcalona would murder Chelsea should most of Ireland support La Liga?
    kingp35 wrote:
    Ah now blu, your comments so far have been good, dont turn them into utterly ridiculous.

I watch Championship football ahead of Premiership. I also watch and attend the EL. Outside the top four in the EL, its poor and these sides would really struggle in the Championship. The top four sides in the EL could do well but I dont think they would have enough to get promoted.

I agree with you of sorts, I think our top 4 could compeat, maybe make the playoffs, i think some of the EL would struggle and just about survive, but the majority of the rest (botto3 + D1) would be in the league below ECH (D3?)

I used to support Leeds (funny for the same reasons as you and at the same time i loved Vinny too) so I keep an eyeon them, Im not a fan nor am I a supporter but i do like to see em do well

NotWormBoy wrote:
    I said I don't have a clue how Kildare County are doing, not that I haven't a clue about the EL. Nor was I making assumptions. I'm making statements based on what I've seen from the Championship and what I've seen from the EL. And what I've seen leads me to believe that the quality of teams in the Championship is better than that of teams from the EL. I'm not saying thats true for ALL teams in both leagues, but overall.

And please, its not MY "cokacola super division". I don't support anyone in it, although I do keep a special eye on how Leeds are doing. And if I said that the quality of team in the PL is better than the EL, would I be lying? No, so I'll assume that I'd be getting peoples backs up because they don't agree with me when I say that the Championship sides are generally of a better quality... thats a stupid thing to get your back up over. Its a difference of opinion.

Just because you disagree with me over which league has better quality doesn't mean that I'm automatically wrong and ignorant. I don't claim to be and expert on the EL and\or the Championship, but I do take more than just a passing notice of both. I've watched a few games from both this season, or at least, most of a few games from both this season... and that what I'm basing my opinions on.

So if you want to call it ignorance, go ahead.
    its a moot point which is better Championship or EL, might as well ask who win in a fight Wolverine or Batman? IMO a couple of EL teams would survive there see above.

From your kildare county statment you really do know little about the league, I mean to say do you go to games? do you buy the EL mags? do you watch EL progammes etc? I (and loads of lads here do) so I do know the EL i don't think I know the EL. but this isn't the point at all really.

You like I said way back are entilghted to support or be a fan of any club you want to, thats your choice, I would back you up no end on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

My biggest problem is that the Premiership/Celtic fans also claim to be Ireland fans when they are pumping their money into the English league, money that could be well used in turning the Eircom league into a top quality league, in turn producing quality players for the national team.

they just want a quick fix tho! high class football instantly, Their EPL is the obvious answer, i agree with you tho, if the money from the fans was there we'd have a great league, imagine if all the Isish players in the UK were EL players? Imagine Duffer and Keane in THe Green and White of Rovers testing themselves againt the metal of O'Shea and Finnan in your Red and Black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

blu_sonic wrote:
    might as well ask who win in a fight Wolverine or Batman?
    Wolverine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Is this a wind up?:rolleyes: Competing in Europe means everything. Means a milion times more than "supporting" some irelevant english side.

Maybe this was posted before. Its an insight of a real fan:

Do you ever wonder sometimes why you bother? I mean, how easy would it be to forsake the local version of the beautiful game for the warm and cosy alternative offered courtesy of your satellite dish?

You've got your numerous camera angles, expert analysis, build-ups, post mortems and all manner of gadgets and gizmos at the other end of a wee red button.

Hard to beat, isn't it? Eircom League football doesn't really stand a chance. So why do we bother?

Maybe it's something to do with a sense of belonging, a sense of pride in your own community. Your local club, well, they're YOUR team.

You know the players - and they're ordinary blokes like yourself.

You pass the ground on a regular basis, you've seen it develop over the years - the lights, the new stand.

You've maybe went down on a winter's morning to help clear snow so the match that afternoon can go ahead, maybe turned up in the summer months to give the old place a much needed lick of paint.

You sell programmes, raffle tickets, attend club dinners, sponsor a player, buy a brick. You do your bit.

Then there’s the match itself. That feeling when things go right on the pitch. The last minute winner enjoyed in the company of your mates not forgetting the despair during the bad times. You’re all in this together.

After the game, walking home, getting stopped in the street, queuing at the corner shop "How’d they do today?". You’re a real supporter, a true fan. You’re recognised as such. There’s something in that.

And woe betide anyone who dares rubbish your team, especially some ‘expert’ who claims to support some bunch of overpaid prima donna’s they’ll only ever see on the box.

What do they care? It won’t ruin their weekend if ‘their’ team loses or make it if they pick up those precious three points.

Leave them to their replica shirts and their once a season trip over to scoff their prawn sandwiches. They’re not fans, they’re customers.

With you it’s different. It matters. It matters a lot.

Good article, posted here before.

My opinion, on the whole matter.

Sorry for posting links, but I really couldnt be ared typing all that again.

One more bit
    By watching a game on the TV, or indeed, just watching highlights, you cannot get the whole story of a game. You can get an idea of the main talking points, but not a fully rounded view of a game. Put it this way, you watch a crappy match on the telly, and thats all it is, a crap match, you go to a match, and you have the plusses of the athmosphere, seeing the invariably crappy display by the linespeople, you have the off the ball incidents which the camera misses etc.

Now, that can be applied to every league in the world - its not me being 'a holier than thou eL fan', merely stating a fact. Just because our league isnt as glamourous, and not as high a standard as England shouldnt count for pennies. The fact of the matter is, is that you cant beat live football, and whetehr that is Cobh Ramblers Vs Dundalk, Barcelona Vs Espanyol, its almost always worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm not going to get too involved in this topic because frankly no amount of debate argument or good points on either side is going to change anyones opinion. I'll just give my opinion for what it's worth.

I went to my first Manchester United match aged 7, the atmosphere in the stadium was absolutely electric, the chants and singing sent shivers down my spine and seeing these players so close to me was amazing. We lost that day 3-0, but I was hooked.

As I grew older and began to understand the game more, I realised why so many people supported Manchester United, they always tried to play attractive football. I could appreciate what they were trying to do and would regularly practice it myself. I got over to more games (when my parents could afford it) and never had a bad experience, we weren't winning much but just being there was enough for me.

I was going to Ireland games as well, but they just didn't have the same attraction, the atmosphere was different. The crowd was brilliant, but the players and the style of play didn't capture my imagination in the same way. I stopped going to Irish games and only watched them on television, even then it was because I felt I "should" watch and take an interest.

Soon after that I started getting noticed by senior teams and I was approached for a trial with some of the EL teams. I played in a trial match against another EL team (an assortment of 1st team and reserve players), I did ok, scored a goal but I wasn't amazing. There was a 2nd trial arranged for a couple of weeks later, that was until I fractured my ankle and tore the ligaments in the back of my leg playing for my own team in the intervening period.

When I got back playing I signed for an LSL side and having played for them and against EL sides over the years, there isn't really a great deal in terms of quality difference. I grant that this has started to change in the last 3-5 years and the EL is really starting to pick up in terms of standard, but for me I get the same feeling I got back in the day with those Ireland matches.

The quality of football just isn't there at present to entertain me, whereas I get it when I go to EPL games or CL games (when United manage to stay in the competition past the first round) and that's why I spend my money there.

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion, and represents why I choose to support an EPL team rather than an EL team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Why do so many people think of it as a one or the other thing? Many many people who support LOI support (or follow/view :p) EPL, or English teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Irish Post wrote:
    http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/story.asp?j=4034
    AFTER many years wandering, Joseph Ndo is ready to make his home in Dublin.

The 30-year-old Cameroon midfielder played professional football in his homeland as well as Saudi Arabia, France, and Switzerland before arriving in Ireland midway through the 2002 season after helping his country reach the last 16 of the world cup in Japan and South Korea.

He says: “I didn’t know a whole lot about Ireland when I came over first to be honest. I had been on a few trials in England with nothing happening, so when St. Pats came in it wasn’t a hard choice to make.”

Half a dozen games into his Eircom League career Ndo scored his first goal from midfield and began to settle into life in Ireland.

He says: “Football fans in Ireland are for the most part great fun. The pressures are less here than in Strasbourg, where every part of your life was watched by the media.

“Growing up in Cameroon we had a very relaxed approach to life that is mirrored in Ireland.

“All we did was play football day and night. Kicking the ball around the streets is not allowed in some of the places I have lived so its great to see in Ireland.

Joseph transferred to Shelbourne in 2004 and won the Eircom League title the following year.

He says: “That was my first proper medal as a footballer so it will always mean a lot to me.

“The look on the fans faces when they knew we had won was worth more than any amount of money.”

Despite living in Ireland for just four years Joseph has noticed incredible changes.

He says: “In terms of football, the Eircom League is much stronger now than it was then (2002). Almost all the Shelbourne players would get game in the Swiss League and people like Jason Byrne would be very close to French top division standard. It wasn’t really like that when I started, you had some excellent players, but the depth wasn’t there as it is now.”

Good to see. The man is a legend! :D

speriamo wrote:
    Is this a wind up?:rolleyes:
    No but if you are not you are a sad sad man.
    speriamo wrote:
    Competing in Europe means everything. Means a milion times more than "supporting" some irelevant english side.
    I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean or support in terms of your point of view.

You have criticised posters who follow the EL as well as an English side. I support Liverpool, but also play and attend LSL matches. Probably close to two a week since January. Real fans, without the luxury of the odd stand to shelter my rain soaked head. I follow my actual local club, I'll leave the EL to all the glory hunters.

It is so amusing to see your hypocritical point of view, particularly seeing as you are so blind to it yourself. Why not go support your countries national game instead of following "foreign sports".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

If theres one association worse than the FAI its the apartheid association

what?
    I follow my actual local club, I'll leave the EL to all the glory hunters.
    how is EL glory hunting? I support the Hoops only a division aboue yours.
    But I suppose Crumlin Utd are my local team, I guess i should support them or James Gate, both teams I played for at a junior level. I'm a Rovers fan, i guess I am glory hunting, nothing like the glamour of watching a nil nil in Monaghan, so where does you Liverpool support fit into Glory Hunting?

blu_sonic wrote:
    what?
    The guy accused me of being a wind up. He is the one spouting the diatribe that is so contradictory it must be a wind up.
    blu_sonic wrote:
    how is EL glory hunting? I support the Hoops only a division aboue yours. But I suppose Crumlin Utd are my local team, I guess i should support them or James Gate, both teams I played for at a junior level. I'm a Rovers fan, i guess I am glory hunting, nothing like the glamour of watching a nil nil in Monaghan, so where does you Liverpool support fit into Glory Hunting?
    You go on about supporting local teams etc, then go on to say you don't support your own local team. I'm sure there are plenty of fans from say Burnley or Tranmere, who think that their neighbours who support Manchester United or Liverpool are glory hunters, and perhaps they are right.

I have no doubt that Liverpool being one of the more successful and accessible teams at the time was a factor in my support for them. But I never question others who support anyone. Well apart from those who come out with such crap as seen on this thread, taking the moral high ground, where the source of their own loyalties could come in to be questioned.

• Advertisement

It's threads like this that give the EL a bad name amongst posters on this forum. Creating it was a bad idea, especially the way in which it was created. Surely having an "EL-v-PL" thread is just looking for petty attacks and trolling, and is never going to be constructive. The EL is going to go nowhere if we have to keep comparing ourselves to the bigger league across the channel.

PS - Speriamo is in no way indicative of the general EL opinion on this forum.

I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean or support in terms of your point of view.

You have criticised posters who follow the EL as well as an English side. I support Liverpool, but also play and attend LSL matches. Probably close to two a week since January. Real fans, without the luxury of the odd stand to shelter my rain soaked head. I follow my actual local club, I'll leave the EL to all the glory hunters.

It is so amusing to see your hypocritical point of view, particularly seeing as you are so blind to it yourself. Why not go support your countries national game instead of following "foreign sports".

How am I a sad sad man?! And how am I contradictory? I'll tell you about hypocrisy. People coming out saying they "support" liverpool and then slag the EL. Ring a bell?

You were the one who said playing in Europe meant nothing. That in itself is an admission you know nothing about supporting a team. And where have I ever criticised fellow EL fans?

"El for glory hunters"??? Your second bizarre statement. And your third is supporting our national game. I do in fact but thats irrelevant to this topic. And I didnt know it always rained in the LSL:rolleyes:

A turkey would know more about the game than you:D

speriamo wrote:
    How am I a sad sad man?! And how am I contradictory?
    Your damning of all things English and your urging of others to support Irish teams..........................that play an English sport.
    speriamo wrote:
    I'll tell you about hypocrisy. People coming out saying they "support" liverpool and then slag the EL. Ring a bell?
    Where did I slag the EL?
    speriamo wrote:
    You were the one who said playing in Europe meant nothing. That in itself is an admission you know nothing about supporting a team.
    And in itself and admission by you that you are unable to read. The point I made was in response to a claim that "EL teams play in Europe and Championship teams don't". Now if you could read and understand the context of why I said it you would understand.

I'm sure it's an honour for any EL team to play in Europe as it would be any team. But the reason they do and Championship teams don't has nothing to do with the quality of football in either league.

Understand now?
    speriamo wrote:
    And where have I ever criticised fellow EL fans?
    Kingp35 supports Bray, and your criticism of him kicked this whole thing off.
    speriamo wrote:
    "El for glory hunters"??? Your second bizarre statement.
    There are plenty of fans here preaching "support your local club". Yet one of them doing so doesn't even support his local club, despite being pointed out by himself there is only one division between them!
    speriamo wrote:
    And your third is supporting our national game. I do in fact but thats irrelevant to this topic.
    Just like you speak Irish yeah? Look if you want to be a nationalistic crusader you need to think before you speak.
    speriamo wrote:
    And I didnt know it always rained in the LSL:rolleyes:
    Why would you? Sure you're just an EL glory hunter, you wouldn't know real fans if they kicked you in the face.
    speriamo wrote:
    A turkey would know more about the game than you:D
    Oh no, mocking my user name. I better leave.

For the record, I know some of the people arguing here are probably as far away from a typical EL supporter as you can get. I just can't resist feeding time. I agree pretty much 100% with MJS, this thread was doomed from the beginning.

speriamo wrote:
    And where have I ever criticised fellow EL fans?

Rofl, I'm not even going to bother looking into this one. I'm sure there are some there between your posts 1 and 100.

Your damning of all things English and your urging of others to support Irish teams..........................that play an English sport.

Where did I slag the EL?

And in itself and admission by you that you are unable to read. The point I made was in response to a claim that "EL teams play in Europe and Championship teams don't". Now if you could read and understand the context of why I said it you would understand.

I'm sure it's an honour for any EL team to play in Europe as it would be any team. But the reason they do and Championship teams don't has nothing to do with the quality of football in either league.

Understand now?

Kingp35 supports Bray, and your criticism of him kicked this whole thing off.

There are plenty of fans here preaching "support your local club". Yet one of them doing so doesn't even support his local club, despite being pointed out by himself there is only one division between them!

Just like you speak Irish yeah? Look if you want to be a nationalistic crusader you need to think before you speak.

Why would you? Sure you're just an EL glory hunter, you wouldn't know real fans if they kicked you in the face.

Oh no, mocking my user name. I better leave.

For the record, I know some of the people arguing here are probably as far away from a typical EL supporter as you can get. I just can't resist feeding time. I agree pretty much 100% with MJS, this thread was doomed from the beginning.

Wow someone needs to chill out. Where did I say I was damning ALL things english? Try to keep up. All I said was if you're Irish support an Irish club. How you can then stretch it to "damning all things english" is farcical. I'm a very frequent visitor to blighty and have family there:eek:

You say you're a real fan cos you go to LSL games. Then you say that I wouldnt know a real fan if they kicked me in the face????? Bizarro stuff.

I'm well able to read kid. But you did say playing in Europe meant nothing. Forgive me for not getting involved in whatever petty argument you had going with someone else. Understand now? Ditto for your stupid "EL is for glory hunters" statement.

How was I to know your man was a Bray fan with a leeds crest?:rolleyes:

"Nationalistic crusader"? Thanks for avoiding the issue with garbage like that.

Real fans go farther than their local green to see a non league club. You wouldnt know a real fan if he rained on you.

And joesoap if I slagged any EL fans here it was in jest e.g. boez fans etc.

As I mentioned earlier just trying to find the reasons why people "support" a foreign club ahead of their own. Worthwhile contributions please so stay away if you have a chip on your shoulder like turkeyboy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

speriamo wrote:

How did you know he wasn't originally from Leeds? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

speriamo wrote:
    Wow someone needs to chill out. Where did I say I was damning ALL things english? Try to keep up. All I said was if you're Irish support an Irish club.
    To use your own logic. If you are Irish, support an Irish game.

What is your problem if (a) someone supports and English club and an Irish club, as many here do, (b) only supports an English club, (c) supports an Italian club. It's only a game.

Tell us how your affinity with SR started, and how it is so much better than everyone elses which you point out ad nauseum.
    speriamo wrote:
    You say you're a real fan cos you go to LSL games. Then you say that I wouldnt know a real fan if they kicked me in the face????? Bizarro stuff.
    Notice the sarcasm? "Real fan" support their team, end of.
    speriamo wrote:
    I'm well able to read kid. But you did say playing in Europe meant nothing. Forgive me for not getting involved in whatever petty argument you had going with someone else.
    You are obviously not able to read, because you did get in the argument by referencing the Europe point against me.

As I said, in the context, it means nothing.
    speriamo wrote:
    Ditto for your stupid "EL is for glory hunters" statement.
    Again notice the sarcasm. Although as has been noted above, I'm sure their are more local clubs to you than SR's. As mentioned already Crumlin or Gate are hardly a million miles away. Why support Rovers? Glory? Who knows. Who cares?
    speriamo wrote:
    Because he said it? Ability to read coming into play again. See a pattern forming?
    speriamo wrote:
    Real fans go farther than their local green to see a non league club. You wouldnt know a real fan if he rained on you.
    I want an exact definition of a real fan. And FYI I've been as far as Sligo (from Dublin) to see my LSL side play.
    speriamo wrote:
    As I mentioned earlier just trying to find the reasons why people "support" a foreign club ahead of their own. Worthwhile contributions please so stay away if you have a chip on your shoulder like turkeyboy here.
    Do you think I support a foreign club over my own? What is "their own"? I've no chip on my shoulder (like you). I couldn't give a crap who anyone supports.

lads maybe you should lay off Speriamo a bit, fair enough you don't agree with his post but Jivin Turkey you have taken it way beyond football, taking into account speaking Irish and supporting GAA, Speriamo's views might be radical and IMO he says the things that a lot of EL fans think.

I understand where he's coming from, he's gotten under a lot of peoples skins but, i don't think he's a troll of trying to flame, i just think he really can't understand why people support teams from other countries.

Stupid threads like this are designed to bring out the worst in posters, it was only obvious that speriamo was going to defend the EL, and rightly so

hey Speriamo
    KOH

The only pattern I see forming here is your childish retorts. Turkeyboy seems to have got himself worked up. I've explained myself repeatedly yet he asks can I read!

"Why support Rovers? Glory? Who knows. Who cares?" Then why do you ask?:eek:

Re the Bray fan he didnt say he was a Bray fan until I mentioned the leeds crest. Another pattern forming there............

A definition of a real fan? Sure. One who doesnt spends his time trolling and attacking other posters with nonsense diatribe. You say you couldnt give a crap who anyone supports. Why are you here then?

As blu_sonic says you've taken it beyond football. Grow up.

speriamo wrote:
    A definition of a real fan? Sure. One who doesnt spends his time trolling and attacking other posters with nonsense diatribe.
    Quit with the oxymorons please.
    speriamo wrote:
    You say you couldnt give a crap who anyone supports. Why are you here then?
    Because you are telling people who they can and can't support.

blu_sonic wrote:
    Speriamo's views might be radical and IMO he says the things that a lot of EL fans think.
    Well if that is the case it's not surprising so many people are turned off the EL.

I don't believe that is the case however, particularly seeing as we have seen another regular (and vocal) EL poster indicate that Speriamo's views certainly do not represent an average EL fan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement