Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Monk' appreciated thread

• 13-04-2006 9:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Where would I be without Monk? Well, right here... but it does provide me with that rare glimpse of quality during Daytime TV hours... God bless it.
    Generally I hate detective shows but this is superb, and it manages to make the whole thing quite amusing, generally clever and sometimes (but thankfully not always) deep and meaningful.
    Tony Shalhoub really makes it for me, superb actor in my opinion... sad that Sharona isn't in it anymore, but Natalie will do (I guess!!!)

Interesting to read in the above link that it was originally intented to be a vehicle for Michael Richards (Kramer in Seinfeld)... I'd say it would have been horrible and OTT had he done it.

So, anyone else love Monk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I do I do I do I do!

Well...I used to watch it when I was stateside but not so much atm. Be a nice boxset to get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

kaimera wrote:
    I do I do I do I do!

Well...I used to watch it when I was stateside but not so much atm. Be a nice boxset to get.

Yeah, actually I saw the first series going dirt cheap somewhere recently and never got around to picking it up... play.com has season 1 for €26 and 2 for €24 which aint too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Fantastic show. Very funny yet also interesting and heartwarming. I just wish a station would show it on a regular basis at a decent time. Any time I see it is purely down to chance when I happen upon it on UK gold or Hallmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Brilliant show, criminally scheduled. So I bought the boxsets instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've watched it many a time I'm too lazy to go into college but I dont get it. Please fill me in as to why he isnt a detective but yet is still out solving crimes and why does he have an assisstant working for him also helping him solve the mysteries. I know he has OCD and his wife died but thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From usanetwork.com
    Adrian Monk (Tony Shalhoub) was once a rising star with the San Francisco Police Department, legendary for using unconventional methods and out-of-the-box thinking to solve some of the department's most baffling cases.

But after the tragic (and still unsolved) murder of his wife, a devastated Monk became obsessive-compulsive. Now plagued by various phobias, almost everything causes him angst: germs, heights, crowds -- even milk. His condition eventually cost him his job, and continuously poses unique challenges as he goes about his daily life. He is in therapy for his condition, but signs of progress in overcoming his psychological disorder are spotty at best.

Now working as a private consultant, Monk continues to investigate various cases using his vast intelligence and unconventional approaches. However, Monk would like nothing more than to gain back his position on the force. Can he pull himself together and get back to solving San Francisco's toughest crimes full time?

As for an assistant - initially, it due to the severity of his condition Sharona was hired as his nurse, but over time became more involved in his cases doing the day-to-day stuff such as organising his work and ensuring that he gets paid (and in turn they get paid). Monk, although brilliant, doesnt seem to pressed about the everyday things such as money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Great show alright. It's a fine central performance Tony Shalhoub, who has great comic timing without being slapstick.

I'm surprised no station showed it early evening or primetime. I would consider it a better show than the likes of Diagnosis Murder and Murder She Wrote, which it seems to get lumped in with.

Advertisement