Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a PS3 Website

Options
  • 13-04-2006 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hello, Im thinking of making a website dedicated to the Playstation 3, the site will include Updates, news, downloads etc. and I think there is a very valuable market for a successful website if enough effort is put in.

Im dead serious on making this site, and Im asking/looking for help. Would like feedback, suggestions and comments regarding. Thanks for your help.

(sorry if this is in wrong forum)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, what do you have in mind? Hard to give feedback to squat, ain't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

Im thinking of making it kind-of-like PS3updates.com with a verticle news system and linear navigation, if this is what you mean.

Im looking for suggestions of what to call website, what code it should be in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sounds great, what are you offering in return?!

Gordon wrote:
    Sounds great, what are you offering in return?!

Im not sure what you mean mate.

Just to make clear, Im not looking to employ anyone, just looking for someone who is interested on helping me on the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I agree there is a market for this. But what are you bringing to the table?

Design skills?
    Technical skills?
    Sales skills?
    SEO skills?

Or... just the idea?

As a seasoned website maker person, I can tell you, having the idea is a tiny tiny tiny percentage of the battle!

I appreciate your wanting to create something, but it takes many skills to make a successful website.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm just trying to find out where you're at...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I see that you've given this much thought and consideration, and would be a valuable asset to the project. Sign me up for your newsletter.

DOLEMAN wrote:
    I agree there is a market for this. But what are you bringing to the table?

Design skills?
    Technical skills?
    Sales skills?
    SEO skills?

Or... just the idea?

As a seasoned website maker person, I can tell you, having the idea is a tiny tiny tiny percentage of the battle!

I appreciate your wanting to create something, but it takes many skills to make a successful website.

Sorry if I sound negative, I'm just trying to find out where you're at...

Yeah mate, completely understand where your coming from. Im a new website designer but I know enough to get started and more and am learning more as I go. Im looking for someone with design (code) and technical skills. As much expierience as possible really to help me get this idea off the ground.
    I see that you've given this much thought and consideration, and would be a valuable asset to the project. Sign me up for your newsletter.

No need to be rude.

No interest then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

DOLEMAN wrote:
    a seasoned website maker person

classic! so is the op an unseasoned website maker person?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

classic! so is the op an unseasoned website maker person?
    Only if he unseasonably makes people websites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

CuLT wrote:
    Only if he unseasonably makes people websites!
    Don't say I didn't help.
    seasoning.jpg

Present an any-way thought out plan of action and I'd give it some consideration.

ed: That wasn't me being rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

When you set it up. Run a competition for a free PS3, that should get your website talked about all over the internet and plenty of clicks for you to sell to advertisers.

Skyuser wrote:
    When you set it up. Run a competition for a free PS3, that should get your website talked about all over the internet and plenty of clicks for you to sell to advertisers.

Good idea!

Maybe a couple of PS3's... but you have to recommend friends for the website or something. Basically, an idea where it benefits the competition enterer (??) if he tells people about the website, rather than hoping no one knows about the competition... if you catch what I'm saying! :)

Thats a great idea, but where could I get a PS3 to give away?

Im looking for someone who has a good bit of expierience in web design and programming if possible. A detailed announcements script perhaps, member script that maybe coincides with the forum script (WBB). Keep the ideas coming.

For the domain name, Im thinking of PS3nfo.net or ps3revolution.net. Thanks.

Pre-Order one as soon as they become available to so your gauranteed one.

Im not willing to put thart much money in to the site from the start to be honest. Maybe when the traffic grows itll be a possibility.

EDIT

I was thinking of the domain name: ps3generation.net. What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Sounds like a great idea. However loads of these sites are bound to pop up in the next short while, so try to get in there as early as possible and spread the word. Make sure you have it up and running before the release aswell. Dont be second-best to other sites. Good luck, i cant wait to see how you get on! PS. i dont have any experience in web design , but with an interest in the topic id be glad to contribute when its all set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I was thinking of the domain name: ps3generation.net. What do you think?

ps3.ie is the obvious contender and it rhymes....kinda, but not really

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Im not willing to put thart much money in to the site from the start to be honest. Maybe when the traffic grows itll be a possibility.

sounds like your not too serious about this - if you want it to work the throw a few bob into it - or else it will very fast become just another has-been idea
    Sounds like a great idea. However loads of these sites are bound to pop up in the next short while, so try to get in there as early as possible and spread the word.

looks like theres already aload ... and yes expect alot more !

http://www.EUROPS3FORUM.com
    http://www.ps3forums.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Advertisement

You won't spend €500 to drive traffic to your website? What kind of shabby website are ya gonna make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

if i were you... i would get started with my friends first... word of mouth helps a lot... as what i did with my discussion board 3 years ago, hundreds of visits a day, thanks to my friends.... anyway 2 years later it died, thanks again to my so called friends.. they bombarded with the site with spams and throllings... drove away the other visitors... bastid... :D

Skyuser wrote:
    You won't spend €500 to drive traffic to your website? What kind of shabby website are ya gonna make?

Nope, I will not spend that much on a website. I know ALOT of websites that are very very succesful without paying directly for advertisement. And for the fellow who said what kind of shabby website etc. How is not throwing €500 making it shabby? I dont see anybody else throwing that kind of money at it.

Im very serious on doing this website, Im just not prepared to throw that much money at it. It can be successful without any advertising and I know this first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Nope, I will not spend that much on a website. I know ALOT of websites that are very very succesful without paying directly for advertisement. And for the fellow who said what kind of shabby website etc. How is not throwing €500 making it shabby? I dont see anybody else throwing that kind of money at it.
    Youre right, you dont really need to spend that much on a one off giveaway. If you have the content on your site , word will spread that its good. You might consider giving away a game or something like that. If the site does take off you might be able to get stuff for free from companies to give away on the site, in return for advertising their company.

Yeah mate, your looking at it from my point of view mate. I did alot of brainstorming with a friend last night and came up with a few things like, maybe game reviews for content, walkthroughs, game of the month voted for by members, member of the month.....stuff like that.

I have a bit of the template done already, the buttons. Attached.

So basically... you have no design, development or coding skills, and you're not willing to invest any money. All you have is an idea for a website.

I've asked you this already, but what skills/anything are you bringing to this "project"?

Not trying to be negative... just realistic...

I already said I dont need any monetary investment into this website, I do have a few skills with websites and have made a few, I work good with coding but I cannot write it myself. Im very good with graphic design.

I was asking if someone wanted to help me get it off the ground, someone to gather resources like news, and perhaps a bit of coding knowledge to help me out. Im very enthusiastic about this project and I know it will do well if I put effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Do you plan to make money from this ?
    how ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Your target market will demand more than just a basic website. The people arriving at your site will be "seasoned" gamers who will spend alot of their time online and will inturn be turned off by amatuer sites.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? Im 23 and for the last 8 years, there have been nights I have been sitting round somewhere with my mates and concocting(never spelt that word before) ideas. Your idea is by no means an original idea. Therefore you need a site that will either offer something different or offer the best.

To offer the best you will need to splash the cash IMO. Seen as youre not willing to this I would recommend looking at your idea and picking a potential niche or even just focus on one aspect, e.g. just walkthroughs.

Your current idea is to create a one stop shop for ps3 gamers which you and your friend do not have the resources for. This could in fact be a full time job with a huge investment to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

it sounds to me like your strength would be in writing the content rather than developing the site itself. Maybe have a look at a content management system such as Joomla or Mambo that would be fairly easy to get you started.

Even a blog would get your content up. You can then build the site as you learn the ropes.

Advertisement