Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a PS3 Website

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

a niche maybe to exploit the online gaming aspects of the ps3. i'm not that much in the know about playstations but i remember there been a lot of trouble playing online with the ps2 maybe you can create a community where people join up to play each other online. A PS3 Online Clan. There are loads of clans for PC based games but i would imagine that there aren't that many for the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

Your target market will demand more than just a basic website. The people arriving at your site will be "seasoned" gamers who will spend alot of their time online and will inturn be turned off by amatuer sites.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? Im 23 and for the last 8 years, there have been nights I have been sitting round somewhere with my mates and concocting(never spelt that word before) ideas. Your idea is by no means an original idea. Therefore you need a site that will either offer something different or offer the best.

To offer the best you will need to splash the cash IMO. Seen as youre not willing to this I would recommend looking at your idea and picking a potential niche or even just focus on one aspect, e.g. just walkthroughs.

Your current idea is to create a one stop shop for ps3 gamers which you and your friend do not have the resources for. This could in fact be a full time job with a huge investment to begin with.

Im 17 for your info. I have alot of friends in the knowhow of PS3 and Playstation in general, theres my content. Walkthroughs was me just brainstorming and not the finished idea yet and these were'nt the most specific idea's. they would still bring content to the site.

I am going to post up to date news and rumours regarding the sony project and I know theres a market for this. Perhaps game reviews but theres no games out and Im sure by the time there is, Ill have a few members willing to help me out in this area.

My primary concern will be getting traffic to my site and I know this is probably the hardest bit to the site (NI SEO) but I know how the internet works and how word of mouth is one if not the biggest factor to traffic IMO.

I may not be able to write it directly but after alot of practise (last night eg) Im really getting the hang of HTML by editing and modifying it.

And that clan idea from Rollo is excellent. Maybe this can be implented in the later future, but not yet. These ideas give me perspective as to what way I can expand the website.

I know you may think Im just a kid wanting to do a site and not having thought it out and think it will just be successful straight away, but Im not, Im very enthusiastic about this site and hopefully it will make it successfull with alot of research and hard work.

P.S Im not in this to make money in any way, ads are there for the server and costs only.

I have the template half done btw. Its not nearly finished though. Still working a few kinks. This is on my old server.

www.halo2gen.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Well, you certainly have to give it a shot anyway!

If it fails (and I hope it doesn't) at least you will have learned some things from the experience.

Cheers mate.

• Advertisement

the only way you can learn is by going out and doing it for yourself. You'll soon learn that html can only get you so far and you will need to learn a scripting language, but one thing at a time. I wouldn't rule out starting up with a blog or a CMS and then developing from there. A lot of clans use PHP-Nuke if i'm not mistaken btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I would focus more on marketing and sales than html and scripting.

For example, myspace.com is terribly designed, yet it's mega popular.

Getting people using your site will be the battle!

DOLEMAN wrote:
    I would focus more on marketing and sales than html and scripting.

that makes very little sense to me. I would do it the other way around. There needs to be a product that is capable of attracting people to the site before some bs marketing. Best bet is to start of small with friends, word of mouth is your most powerful tool, the search engines will pick up on your site eventually. Once your site is capable of rubbing shoulders with its compeitiors then you should concentrate on marketing and seo and the like. Get a forum up and running asap. I would recommend avoiding the cheap-ass PHPBB and go for a professional one with VBulletin and Invison the leaders for message boards...the forum will be the most active part of your site for the most part so you might as well get it right first time around. VBulletin has some rather nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

It's a tough market to get into as most of the initial audience of the ps3 will be hardcore gamers who already have their favourite sites for news, reviews etc. To be honest, it's particularly tough to run a games site like that so I'd go with the forums idea if you can do it. Investing in vBulletin is advisable alright as I work with both phpBB and vBulletin on a daily basis and vBulletin is better in a number of areas.

Ive been working with Woltlab burning board (full license) and I love it. Its very easy and powerful. Im thinking of using this as the forum.

• Advertisement

I want to buy the domain asap but I only have £4 in my paypal account :( Is there any way to pay by bank account? Thanks.

just transfer the money into your paypal account?

if i was you i would soley concentrate on the Irish PS3 market as the international one would be too much of a jungle to compete in. Therefore ps3.ie is a front runner for a domain name IMO.

Your not able to transfer the money into the account sadly, at least I cant for some reason. Do .ie domains cost €60???

i'm not too familar with paypal to offer any help on that but ie domains cost around €35 per annum now, there has been a massive price drop. Blacknight.ie were the first to bring down the cost of ie domains. The one stumbling block with ie domains is the manner in which they are regulated, you need to be a business/social club/society to get one but its not hard to setup a social club! ;)

edit.
    Unincorporated Association Name:
    A self-issued letter from the applicant on the association's letterhead stating that they are an
    Unincorporated Association and require the domain name to reflect their organisation's name.
    More Details - http://www.domainregistry.ie/UnincorpAssocName

Taken from http://www.iia.ie/downloads/iiawhitepaper_domain.pdf

The price of PS3.ie is €45. But tbh thats a little too much for me to be spending on the domain. If anyone wants to help me financially? lol :P

Im getting along with the template now, have a look and tell me what you think.

www.halo2gen.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

The price of PS3.ie is €45. But tbh thats a little too much for me to be spending on the domain.
    Ah here, this is a joke. I didn't realise you were some kid tryin 2 pass the time. I thought you were gonna set up a proper website.

Im not a kid trying to pass the time, I just dont have that much money to throw away like that.

sadly thats the wrong answer

where was the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

where was the question?

lossing cred very very fast kid
    (not even 45 euro to throw at the project... hmmm count me out)

Actually your right, I must be prepared to spend that much. Ok then, Ill have to save up a bit, but Ill do it. Thanks.

Youve actually opened my eyes, I have to commit myself to the site and Ive come into this with a complete wrong attitude. Your help is great guys.

And I could focus more on Irish PS3 population like someone said earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

And I could focus more on Irish PS3 population like someone said earlier.
    I wouldn't do that. Why narrow your market when it's the same product for everyone worldwide.

Im not bottlenecking it and Im sure alot of international users will come to the site, the site will jsut be more focused on irish events.

Most other sites wouldnt have any local irish news. And thats a way to atract irish ps3 users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

That template is not very nice for such a website.
    try to get something more technical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dmtiling

my posts keep getting deleted from here.... why????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dmtiling

try using a cms for your site. www.postnuke.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

OP just on teh site design. I have a number of criticisms but the biggest one to sort ASAP is the font you have used for the headers and buttons. Too hard to read made worse by the fact that they are white on a silver background.

PM me if you want more design advice.

• Advertisement

Would the chrome effect be good for the site or should I bin it? I think it looks nice but you're the professionals, or should I just change the navigation headers?

Im going to try that cms now.

Advertisement