Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Federal Ireland work?

Options
  • 13-04-2006 9:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of the suggestions of the likes of the IRSP and SF is, rather than a unitary Island where the 6 counties would just come directly under the Oireachtas, a 4-part federal republic is created with some level of regional autonomy allowed to each province... the idea being that Ulster-scots and protestants who fear a loss of identity in a United Ireland will be less of a majority in a 9-county federation than a 32 county singular state.

Now; let's put aside reality for a minute and let's just assume the impossible, let's imagine that the Unionist community tomorrow declare that they would support Irish unity and an end to British rule but only under the terms of a Federal Republic of Ireland... I suppose the level of federal control would all depend on the negotiations, but anyway... that's not important really because we all know the general decisions that would only be made at a national level (currency, defence, foreign policy etc.).
    So, my question is, assuming all barriers are removed, does anyone think a federal Ireland is viable?? I don't know a hell of a lot about this kind of stuff, but the island seems far too small for it to be split into four different regions, each one with, perhaps, a certain level of control over taxation, education, health care... As it stands the four provinces of Ireland are just remnants of traditional divisions, they make no actual difference to the lives of people on a day to day basis; a person living in Cork will not be treated any differently than someone living in Donegal; the only difference being the amenities in the area.

The way I see it, what tiny hope there is of there ever being a United Ireland would include one of the following; federal republic or devolution in the 6 counties which is answerable to Dublin instead of London... Does anyone else agree that, regardless of the support or opposition, federal Ireland just wouldn't work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd love it but I live in Leinster which is more than self sufficient. If I lived in Connaught, Ulster and most of Munster I'd be sh!t scared of a federal republic! Sure all the money is made in the east and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They only support a 4-province, federal Ireland because it would push the unionists into a (near) minority in Ulster.

What about a federal Ireland splitting Ulster in two, would they support that?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

murphaph wrote:
    I'd love it but I live in Leinster which is more than self sufficient. If I lived in Connaught, Ulster and most of Munster I'd be sh!t scared of a federal republic! Sure all the money is made in the east and Cork.
    Hey, I'm all in favour of a federal Europe, except that all the money is made in the north-central province. If I lived in Portugal, Greece and most of the accession states I'd be sh!t scared of a federal Europe! Sure all the money is made in the EU-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

flogen wrote:
    One of the suggestions of the likes of the IRSP and SF is, rather than a unitary Island where the 6 counties would just come directly under the Oireachtas, a 4-part federal republic is created with some level of regional autonomy allowed to each province...
    Are you thinking of ÉIRE NUA, as put forward by Dáithí Ó Conaill, RSF? I wouldn't mind provicional governmets but really put my hopes on a joint government in the North without British rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont see the point... I mean as far as i am concerned both the UK and Ireland should cease having any involvement in NI and let them govern themselves.. or if they vote for it... join the republic..

Anyway the reason i do not see the point is we are becoming an EU superstate... it will happen one day and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive. Maybe not in my lifetime but some day it will happen.. hell some day there may only be one government on the planet.. definatly not in anyones lifetime but some day.. 100 years or more..

• Advertisement
Advertisement