Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Quest 8

• 13-04-2006 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else get this today? I did... very impressed! It's one of the best looking games I've seen in a long time, and just plain fun :) I'll post more when I've played more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just got it there yesterday.

Haven't had a good Japanese RPG to get my teeth into for a long while.

I just love Toriyama's character and monster design and the combat system is very fluid. But it's early days yet and I've only just left the first town.

How have you been finding it so far, Kirby?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to start into this tomorrow night. Just beat Baten Kaitos a few minutes ago. Can't wait, have had it since November but just didn't have the time for a japanese RPG.

I didn't really get into Baiten Kaitos. I must go back to it some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

I picked up the import copy a few months ago. It is one TOUGH game. Prepare to die and lose half your money regularly. It's the only way to make progress!!

Unless you wander around for hours levelling up, you will always be a bit too weak for the dungeons you are attempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only played a few hours of it so far but I'm already loving it. The voice acting is superb, graphics unsurpassed for the PS2 and the gameplay perfectly pitched. I love the fact that I had to retreat from the initial attempt at the first dungeon because I wasn't strong enough. There's not enough 'tough' RPGs there days and you seem to be able to sleepwalk through most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's very old-school... tough as nails, but it's just beautiful :)
    I've decided to put it away for a little while because I'd actually like to pass my exams this year, but I'm just loving it so far.

I'm about 18 hours in at this stage. Enjoying it a lot... but so far I've found the bosses to be fairly uninspiring... The last one I fought was just a big treasure chest... Bosses should have a bit of character and a bit of build up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Got it on Friday (35 euro in Virgin) Must say it is very enjoyable!
    Also very nostalgic as I used to be addicted to Dragon Warrior Monsters back in the Gameboy Colour days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story is uninspiring and whole game is as original as Barrys Tea. I'm enjoying it immensely however. The game looks beautiful and has so much character. It's also has the best barfight I've seen since Firefly got cancelled. Some genuinely funny moments. Voice acting is excellent, the european voice actors are far better than the whiny americans in every other RPG games. Hope they do the same for FFXII. Thanks to playing this game off the hard disk I'm having no trouble with pauses and loading times are non-existant :) Random battles are infrequent and the battle system reminds me of a more advanced Suikoden battle system. There are some tactics to it but also battles are won nice and quickly. Screw Oblivion, RPG of the year so far and FFXII has a lot to live up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Look forward to this, I'm banning myself from getting it till after exams though, hopefully I might pick it up a little cheaper too! This, FFXII and Suikoden V will probably be my last PS2 games.

• Advertisement

Suikoden V is supposed to be exceptional. The storyline is meant to be on par with Suikoden 2. Can't wait for it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Yeah this is a great game. Probably the best old school console rpg ever made. Great monster design and I love the dragonball z type animation from Akira Toriyama. Even the funny scenes were translated very well though they've lost their original meaning which you can only pick up on if you've seen the older Akira Toriyama series like the original dragonball and Dr.Slump.

I am about 45hrs in and last thing I did was completed rank b of the monster arena. Hero is only level 32 and storywise I am looking for a bird so I should still have still a long way to go before it's finished. On a week long training course so can't play it all at the moment. :mad:

Advertisement