Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lynsey O'Brien Report On ABC News Tonight...

• 13-04-2006 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The story of Lynsey O'Brien (the girl who was served alcohol on a cruise liner and fell over board) will be aired on ABC News tonight. As far as I am aware its the first report of I on American news (please correct me if I am wrong).

Later this week the family will be on Oprah talking about their ordeal.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1837441&page=1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Maybe lynse's parents will admit their own mistakes this time instead of putting all the blame on "a barman"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

MrSinn wrote:
    Maybe lynse's parents will admit their own mistakes this time instead of putting all the blame on "a barman"

I think the father has made no bones about the fact that he let his guard down and took his eye off her; the amount of alcohol that she drank which she purchased on a childrens cash card is absurd, most parents would feel comfortable taking their eye of a 15 year old when she was with her cousins etc., you wouldn't expect her to be able to get her hands on drink in what seems like a well controlled system

Seen her bebo page!I think they are bringing this to supreme court in america.it ia awful sad.Reading the comments on her page you can feel the hurt!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

MrSinn wrote:

I think you are being a little hard on her parents. after all the charge card she had should not have been accepted at the bar of the ship. how was he to know that some barman hoping for his legover was gonna ply her with booze.

She was also with a cousin.

According to the report, her parents made sure she went to bed. why she chose to go to the side of the ship rather than just go to the bathroom to puke we will never know. but the parents cannot be blamed for that.

It is a very sad story. and I hope that the publicity brings on reforms in the cruise ship industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Seen her bebo page!I think they are bringing this to supreme court in america.it ia awful sad.Reading the comments on her page you can feel the hurt!:(
    supreme court doesnt hear cases like this.it only hears constitutional /point of law cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cindy30640

I am sorry to not agree with you Mr. Sinn. I was on that ship that horrible cruise. That ship was packed with people. You could not find anyone in your family. I never knew where anyone was. Not that I tried and tried. My 18 year old son, I just prayed that I would find him the next morning sleeping in the cabin next to me. That night was specially a party night, being at sea all day. I had a horrible feeling all night too that something would go wrong. When we heard the announcement that morning, I ran next door and found my son sleeping and gave him a big kiss. Not that I did not go looking for him so many times that night. There is a disco there for teenagers. That is where my son met Lynsey. He was very upset about the accident. I felt, probably like many parents, that my son would be okay at that disco. It was for teenagers, not adults. An adult would feel out of place there. YOu think your children would be safe there and not served alchohol. We were on a Costa cruise the year before, but it wasn't as crowded as this one. I could always locate my son with a little bit of looking. But not this one. The boat should not have served her alchohol at all. There were a lot of teenagers out and about that night. Not just the O'Brien clan. All us parents expected our kids to come home okay. The drinking age on that boat is 21. I feel sorry for the parents. I wouldn't want to be blamed for my son's death if it happened to him. You can't watch your children every second of the day on those cruises. Hind sight is alway 20/20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MrSinn wrote:

Very sad story but I have to agree with the qoute above. Were where the parents of this child while she was getting 'pissed' aboard this ship. They should have never been away from her for so long as to allow this to happen. Apart from the drink, what about strangers??. Apparently she was found intoxicated, brought to her cabin by a family member and left alone. How could she be left alone when in such a dangerous state....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

The cruise ship company are saying she had fake id? I wonder is this true..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's my guess that she more than likely produced some ID which was given the OK. A lot of young girls when dressed up can look yrs older than they really are, so if she produced some fake ID of good quality, it is not unusual that she be served. It's happening all over Ireland in pubs and Off licences.
    To blame the barman or cruise company I think is unfair. This is assuming she did produce ID. The child should never have been left to wnader the ship for so long without some adult present, preferably a relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kira

ok not meaning to be mean in what im sayin but alot of u are speaking before thinking! Lynsey was amazing, her parents didnt no she was drinking until they brought her back to her cabin, do not try to blame them, none of u can honestly say that when you were teens you didnt drink or do something u werent suposed 2, lynz wasnt perfect, no one is, she was a normal 15 year old who was on a dream cruise with her family and friends for New Years Eve, obviously she was going to try enjoy herself, just because her parents went 2 a meal and out with friends that one night doesnt mean this is their fault, anyone who has children know that if u go on holidays you do want a night out without them, which was properly half the reason they went with friends who had children the same ages as their own! this could've happened to anyone,even some of u,thank god it hasnt, but u wouldnt like to be blamed,think of it that way! and she didnt jump. She went out to her balcony to be sick and stood on a chair 2 vomit and lost her footing. her 11 year old sister saw it. and before anyone says im wrong,dont,because i was friends with Lynsey and i know its the truth,her parents wouldnt lie to her friends! Lynsey was happy,she loved life,she loved going out with friends,she loved shopping,she loved make up,she loved most of the things every teenage girl does! So don't for a second think that any of you know what happened or that her parents are at fault. This was not her parents fault. And honestly,look at Lynz' picture, In ireland you need 2 be 18 to get served,and she wouldnt pass off for 18 here (not implying that she had tried,i just know she doesnt look old enough) so to say she had a fake id saying 23???????ye im sure she would have gotten 1 saying 23 when she knew she didnt look over 18!that just a complete lie!theres no way she had an id saying 23!or 21!
    Lynsey is greatly missed here. The pain grows all the time, it'll never go away, but the only thing that keeps us going is her memory, the memory of a really friendly,happy,pretty,bubbly friend!!!!so please dont say bad things about her or her family!
    RIP Lynz babes! xoxoxox:( :(:(

and thanks to anyone who feels sympathy for her family,xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

kira wrote:
    ok not meaning to be mean in what im sayin but alot of u are speaking before thinking! Lynsey was amazing, her parents didnt no she was drinking until they brought her back to her cabin, do not try to blame them, none of u can honestly say that when you were teens you didnt drink or do something u werent suposed 2, lynz wasnt perfect, no one is, she was a normal 15 year old who was on a dream cruise with her family and friends for New Years Eve, obviously she was going to try enjoy herself, just because her parents went 2 a meal and out with friends that one night doesnt mean this is their fault, anyone who has children know that if u go on holidays you do want a night out without them, which was properly half the reason they went with friends who had children the same ages as their own! this could've happened to anyone,even some of u,thank god it hasnt, but u wouldnt like to be blamed,think of it that way! and she didnt jump. She went out to her balcony to be sick and stood on a chair 2 vomit and lost her footing. her 11 year old sister saw it. and before anyone says im wrong,dont,because i was friends with Lynsey and i know its the truth,her parents wouldnt lie to her friends! Lynsey was happy,she loved life,she loved going out with friends,she loved shopping,she loved make up,she loved most of the things every teenage girl does! So don't for a second think that any of you know what happened or that her parents are at fault. This was not her parents fault. And honestly,look at Lynz' picture, In ireland you need 2 be 18 to get served,and she wouldnt pass off for 18 here (not implying that she had tried,i just know she doesnt look old enough) so to say she had a fake id saying 23???????ye im sure she would have gotten 1 saying 23 when she knew she didnt look over 18!that just a complete lie!theres no way she had an id saying 23!or 21!
    Lynsey is greatly missed here. The pain grows all the time, it'll never go away, but the only thing that keeps us going is her memory, the memory of a really friendly,happy,pretty,bubbly friend!!!!so please dont say bad things about her or her family!
    RIP Lynz babes! xoxoxox:( :(:(

and thanks to anyone who feels sympathy for her family,xxx
    you dont know what happened either,having looked at her friends sites linked from her bebo page her circle of friends were no strangers to drink. how high was this balcony? why would you need a chair ,most rails on balconies are not that high to prevent getting sick,im not saying she jumped but no one can say for certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kira

i said i didnt mean to be mean about what i said.
    i no she didnt jump. and have u ever tried 2 get sick over a railing?i havnt,but i know that 2 do that u wud need 2 be a good bit higher than the railing to get sick,u no u cant get sik with just you head over it,u usually need to get ur chest there to,she was getting sick,her little sister saw her. she didnt jump.
    and yes she had friends who have drank before,who hasnt??!and what gives u a right 2 go thru her friends bebo pages and then comment about them?!? just because she knew people who drank doesnt make her a heavy drinker!she was drunk,yes,but if they were stricter about underage drinking onboard then she wudnt have been served!theres no way that man thought she was old enough! Lynz was happy,she was enjoying a holiday,she got 2 drunk and needed 2 b sick and fell. nobody even sent boats down until at least 5 hours afterward and that was just 2 collect the life jackets that PASSANGERS threw down,the ship is trying to cover this up,they dont want 2 loose any money over it,thats all,they give a f**k about lynsey or anyone else! and its happened in the past 2 other people and ships always try 2 cover it up! i wasnt there that night, but i no 4 a fact she didnt jump,and id appreciate if people would keep their opinions to themselves if those opinions are going to be hurtful and wrong!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

With all due respect, Kira, everything in this case is opinion, informed or otherwise.

From what I can gather the full facts are far from clear to anyone; if you blame the ship you have to assume certain things, if you blame her parents you have to assume certain things... in other words the opinions expressed here are no less valid than your own, and frankly they're all dangerous; you're saying that the company has covered up their neglect, and has done so in the past, effectively saying the blood of three people lays on their hands to some degree... on the other hand people are implying that the girl was a heavy drinker, possessed fake ID, suicidal, her parents were neglectful etc.

In other words, this topic is far too personal, and far too loaded IMO, the original post was notifying people of the story being aired on US television, job done, thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement