Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very slow dial-up internet connection

Options
  • 13-04-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

A friend of mine complained to me about her slow internet
    connection. It has a speed of 14400kbps. I guessing that
    it's a carrier line i.e. the line is 'split' between two customers.

The question is - can she do anything to get eircom to fix the
    problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

I remember reading a thread before about Eircom's stance on this.

(From memory)
    As long as the phone works then it is unlikely they will upgrade the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I thought it was illegal to split the lines because a person is paying ful line rental? Also that person will probably never have broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have seen a case of someone, who wasn't on a carrier line as far as I could tell, but only connected at 14.4k because of shíte internal wiring. When he replaced the old TÉ socket that he connected through, his speed doubled. His modem could only do 28.8 anyway.

You could tell eircom there is crackling on the line - a bag of crisps could come in handy here.:) They will have to have a look at it then.

Does eircom have any obligation to fix lines to get them working at 28.8 kbps?
    I know there was some half-assed ComReg decision on functional internet access being 28.8 k. I'm not sure if if that was a statutory decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, they only guarantee 9600 bps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

but Comreg and Eircom have done a deal that "Functional Internet Access" is 28.8k minimum. email phil.nolan@eircom.ie (after you find out of your neighbour is on 14.4k as well) and demand "Functional Internet Access" from your line . There is no guarantee of 9600 and never was except for faxes and only for a few years , the history of mandatory speeds for data connects (a long sorded history 1996-2006) was 0k/ then 2.4k / then 0k again and 28.8k now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement