Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easter Weekend Premiership fixtures Part 1 (14th, 15th & 16th)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

el rabitos wrote:
    oh wait, i know this one.

now i say why i think liverpool will come second...then you dissagree, and THEN i say liverpool have more cups than united, then u say we won the treble...then i say something sarcastic, then u say ole is a legend, then lemlin says liverpool suck, followed by a couple of bannings and the thread is locked.

I`m unfamiliar with thread lockings and bannings but you seem to know quite a bit about them.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

el rabitos wrote:
    oh wait, i know this one.

now i say why i think liverpool will come second...then you dissagree, and THEN i say liverpool have more cups than united, then u say we won the treble...then i say something sarcastic, then u say ole is a legend, then lemlin says liverpool suck, followed by a couple of bannings and the thread is locked.

Funny how all that seems to start from one of your comments.

Something like this was bound to happen with all the talk of United having to only win their remaining fixtures to keep the pressure up on Chelsea. Winning games is easier said than done. Congratulations to Sunderland. Haven't seen the game but if Rooney was poor, I can think of only one reason why: SAF has been talking of resting him for ages but has yet to do so.

As I said with the race for fourth, anything can happen and the result tonight has proven it. Its going to be a very interesting weekend in terms of the relegation battle and fourth place. I could see Bryan Robson resting players tomorrow to try and beat Bolton on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

come on man, it was a joke.

theres still a fair bit to play for in and around the top 4.

i'm hoping spurs hold onto 4th, arsenal have been so bad this year, especially against any team that roughs them up a bit, seeing wenger and that being interviewed after the pompey game, it was as if he hadnt a bother in the world. they must think they have the CL in the bag or something :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I had a funny feeling Sunderland would get something from this game (easy to say after i know) but o well. Doesnt change much really bar lifting some pressure from Chelsea but its not like they were ever going to be caught.

I havent seen the game but im not worried about loosing second. Just not gonna happen. Just like no.
    Fair play to sunderland. Still fighting. Dont worry Seb btw, we all know arsenal* suck but you're still better than Sunderaland ;)

*If Arsenal suck it is just my opinion and i'm not interested in debating the fact that they do or do not suck at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I remember watching Manu a few years ago on new years day, Sunderland at Old Trafford, they went 1-0 up and Utd. won 2-1 scoring twice in the last 5 mins. Jurgen Macho the Sunderland keeper had the game of his life (he later went into Chelsea's reserves). That was the year Utd. caught Arsenal, and Sunderland went down with the lowest points ever in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

astrofool wrote:
    I remember watching Manu a few years ago on new years day, Sunderland at Old Trafford, they went 1-0 up and Utd. won 2-1 scoring twice in the last 5 mins. Jurgen Macho the Sunderland keeper had the game of his life (he later went into Chelsea's reserves). That was the year Utd. caught Arsenal, and Sunderland went down with the lowest points ever in the premiership.

huh sorry i dont get it;)

I was really drawing a parallel that the top team vs bottom team is never a guaranteed three points, esp. at this time of the season.

Even tonight, Sunderland would have had 0 pressure on the result of the match, other than to enjoy themselves, Utd. HAD to win, and it showed in their play, they could have had alot more chances on target had they been able to relax a bit more and not HAVE to score.

Though drawing parallels with the season Utd. caught Arsenal ain't so bad if it happens again... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Typical United of previous years.
    Beat Arsenal who are on the best form of their lives.
    Draw 0-0 with a team relegated that day .

Alas, we can still push strong towards the end of the season, set a marker for next season.

Also shows the difference in United's play when Rooney turns up and when he doesn't.

Only when Fergie doesn't take them off. O'Shea really shouldn't come off, Rooney shoulda. That is a big problem in United, the inability to drop Rooney. I want to see Saha and Van Nist up front based on their current form. But I suppose wihout a decent AMC, we kinda need Rooney. Hopefully next year they can get an AMC and provide him some protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fergie came out and said Rooney and Ronaldo both had probably the worst games of their season, so I don't think it's a question of Fergie being blind to their failings. Also, wasn't Saha injured?

Yep, but Rooney's preformance over the last 2 months have been below average, and Saha and Van Nist should be the strikers.
    No player can ever be un-dropable and an AMC will allow Rooney to be dropable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Sunderland would have had 0 pressure on the result of the match, other than to enjoy themselves, Utd. HAD to win, and it showed in their play, they could have had alot more chances on target had they been able to relax a bit more and not HAVE to score.

I take it you are a Man Utd fan. As this shows a rather myopic view. Sunderland HAD to win last night to stay up. Its not so long ago that Utd were slumming it away in the second divison, so i thought ye might understand a game of that magnitude for Sunderland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moving along

Bolton - Chelsea KO 12.45 pm.

Teams

Bolton

J Jaaskelainen, T Ben Haim, A Faye, B N'Gotty, R Gardner, I Campo, K Davies, K Nolan, G Speed, R Vaz Te, J Borgetti

Subs: I Walker, S Giannakopoulos, H Pedersen, J Okocha, H Nakata

Chelsea

P Cech, N Geremi, W Gallas, J Terry, A Del Horno, M Essien, C Makelele, F Lampard, J Cole, H Crespo, D Drogba

Subs: C Cudicini, A Robben, R Paulo Ferreira, S Wright-Phillips, R Huth

Ref: P Dowd

Chelsea going for a win with that line up, but no wingers again.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Roddy23 wrote:
    Sunderland HAD to win last night to stay up. Its not so long ago that Utd were slumming it away in the second divison, so i thought ye might understand a game of that magnitude for Sunderland too.

You obviously did not see the match last night. There is no way they played like a team that needed to win the game . They got all their men behind the ball and did very little attacking.

They are preparing for next season, and they did have some decent attacks last night, it wasn't 11 men behind the ball until the end of the match. They played well, open football, and deserved the win. It's not suprising that towards the end they dropped deeper.

United's only hope is that Bolton actually beat Chelsea. A draw won't do. It would only mean a gain of one point, so we'd still need them to drop more points twice, if it doesn't want to go to goal difference which would happen with one more loss, then United beating them.
    So come on Bolton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    They are preparing for next season, and they did have some decent attacks last night, it wasn't 11 men behind the ball until the end of the match.

They Played a typical away game at OT trying to hit UTD on the break. They did not play like at eam that needed to win . Thats not meant as a criticism as they would have been beaten had they deployed more attacking tactics.

PHB wrote:
    They played well, open football, and deserved the win. It's not suprising that towards the end they dropped deeper.

Which win was that?

Why is it not surprising that they dropped deeper nearer the end of the game? They still needed to score to have any chance of staying up the tactics they deployed meant they were very unlikely to get that goal..

United's only hope is that Bolton actually beat Chelsea. A draw won't do. It would only mean a gain of one point, so we'd still need them to drop more points twice, if it doesn't want to go to goal difference which would happen with one more loss, then United beating them.
    So come on Bolton[/quote]

Sorry, the draw.

I'm sorry, they played the game in preparation for next season, not in the hoping of wanting to stay up. Nobody in their right minds expected them to have any chance of staying up.
    I'm not disagreeing with you that Roddy23 is wrong, but it's unfair to suggest they just stuck 11 men behind the ball all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

chelsea 1-0 up at half time. just scored 2 mins before the break
    drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

goal given to john terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Both players touched it. Hopefully Terry will be given it cos he's in my FF team!

I do actually think he got the final touch, as George Graham said "John Drogba scored it"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Congrats Chelsea. Job Done. I've just woken up from the game last night. I think I'll sit back and listen to all the Manu fans go on about their 3rd greatest season or somesuch.

Sunderland desereved more from the game last night, although they had no hope of staying up, I suppose there would have been some pride in beating Manu at OT.

Funny that some users actually believed that the quest for the title was in "Manu's hands" only 2 weeks ago. There was all sorts of amateur pundits predicting draws, losses etc for Chelsea, it actually makes Chelsea's impending 2nd title that little bit sweeter for Jose. Anybody hear SAF going on about the weather in Bolton, "we're a team on the up" yada yada yada mind games. Jose comes out and says that he told his playesr to "relax" for the rest of the season. ROFL, what an operator. I'm sure his Sunday lunch will taste that little bit sweeter this weekend.

Congrats Chelsea, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

You obviously did not see the match last night. There is no way they played like a team that needed to win the game . They got all their men behind the ball and did very little attacking.

Muppet sorry to crash the party, but I saw the game last night. Obviously you would understand that Sunderland would try and play the game to their strengths, and I felt they did that. They were never gonna take Utd to the cleaners, I for one thought that there would be a load of goals for Utd there, however Sunderland's game plan was so effective ( with a little luck) that they nearly snatched it at the death. Think they had two good chances in the last five mins. If Elliott or a decent forward in a bit of form had been playing, the result could have been even more embarassing.
    Oh yeah and next time don't jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

2-0.

Lampard.

2-0, Lampard from a Crespo assist. Goal and assist now for Lampard.

5 goals in Lampards last 3 games against Bolton.

19 goals from midfield this season.

Why do people keep doubting him?

[EDIT] Essien endears himself even more to the Bolton fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mike65 wrote:
    Chelsea

P Cech, N Geremi, W Gallas, J Terry, A Del Horno, M Essien, C Makelele, F Lampard, J Cole, H Crespo, D Drogba

Subs: C Cudicini, A Robben, R Paulo Ferreira, S Wright-Phillips, R Huth

Ref: P Dowd

Chelsea going for a win with that line up, but no wingers again.

Mike.

would Joe Cole not be a winger ? or is he just a left midfielder as opposed to a winger

The Bolton slump continues...UEFA cup looks like slipping away. How many places are there if either Liverpool or Chelsea win FA Cup?

On Joe Cole I think of him as a midfielder who can play left side if asked. Reports in the paper on Duff being one of the 3 exits.

Mike.

If Arsenal and Middlesboro win the European Cups then England gets TEN European places...

Why do people keep doubting him?

developed further later

Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but he isn't all he is made out to be by the english media.

Well on a day like today, when Chelsea can pretty much seal the title with a win, he has come up trumps with a fantastic assist and a great goal.

Well on a day like today, when Chelsea can pretty much seal the title with a win, he has come up trumps with a fantastic assist and a great goal.

Indeed he does, he is a great player. But he isn't all that he is made out to be. He isn't up there with the top top level.
    If Arsenal and Middlesboro win the European Cups then England gets TEN European places...

that's not true afaik.
    If Arsenal win no extra spots are given to England. If they win and come 5th then simply 4th place team gets their UEFA spot. If they come 4th, then nothing changes.
    I'm not sure about the UEFA cup situation

• Advertisement

I don't see how anyone could say Sunderland were going all out for a win when their keeper was taking 30 seconds per kick out (which the ref talked to him about) and with less than 5 mins to go, they take the ball to the corner flag and waste time.

PHB wrote:
    that's not true afaik.
    If Arsenal win no extra spots are given to England. If they win and come 5th then simply 4th place team gets their UEFA spot. If they come 4th, then nothing changes.
    I'm not sure about the UEFA cup situation

I posted a link to the story in the Intertoto Cup thread but KdjaC deleted the thread. I can't find the link now.

If it were 10 there would be an inquiry! I'm guesing that its 4 CL and 3 UEFA Cup if Pool/Chelsea win FA Cup.

Mike.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Like he did last year to win the title at the same ground.
    PHB wrote:
    This season, the highest place team he has scored against is Bolton, after that West Ham, the rest all in the bottom 10.
    The highest placed team he has an assist against is Spurs, after that West Ham, the rest all in the bottom 10.
    Since when did Bolton go ahead of Liverpool? That also puts doubt over your assists allegation.

Importance of Europe clear

Half the Premiership could find themselves in mainstream European competition next season if Middlesbrough go on to collect the UEFA Cup.

Boro tackle Basle in the first leg of their quarter-final tomorrow knowing, unlike Arsenal, victory in the competition will open up an extra European space.

UEFA amended the Champions League qualification rules last summer to prevent any country having five representatives in the tournament, as was the case this year.

It means if the Gunners emulate Liverpool's achievement last term and win the Champions League but finish outside the Premiership's top four, the fourth-placed club - currently Tottenham - will drop into the UEFA Cup.

However, if Boro triumph in the secondary European competition England will gain an extra place, even if the Teessiders also win the FA Cup or are beaten by Chelsea or Liverpool in the final.

In addition, England are in line to gain entry into the annual Fair Play draw, which could bring a place in the UEFA Cup first qualifying round, while a record seven teams have expressed an interest in taking part in this summer's revamped Intertoto Cup.

Previously derided, the Intertoto has suddenly become far more attractive to Premiership clubs who, under the competition's new format, now only have to win one two-legged tie in July to reach the UEFA Cup second qualifying round the following month.

Unlike previous seasons, only one English club will be allowed to participate - the highest ranked side who have not already qualified for Europe - with the draw due to be made in Nyon on April 10.

England's potential 10-team European entry:

# Champions League - FOUR.

Top two in the Premiership (currently Chelsea and Manchester United qualify automatically for group stage), third and fourth placed teams (Liverpool and Tottenham) into final qualifying round.

But if Arsenal win Champions League and finish outside top four, they become third English club straight into group stage with Tottenham going into UEFA Cup.

# UEFA Cup - THREE OR FOUR

Fifth and sixth in Premiership (Blackburn and Arsenal), plus FA Cup winner or runner-up (West Ham, Charlton or Middlesbrough) straight into first round.

If Middlesbrough win UEFA Cup and reach the FA Cup final, they will go into first round as tournament holders and seventh placed Premiership team (Bolton) would join them.

# Fair Play - ONE

Country which finishes top of UEFA's Fair Play League (currently Belgium) automatically allocated one place in UEFA Cup 1st qualifying round. All countries with a final average of eight or above (England was 8.023 in December) go into a draw for the two remaining places. If successful, the highest placed team in Premiership Fair Play League not already in Europe (presently Charlton, then Wigan) would take the European place.

# Intertoto Cup - ONE

Highest-ranked team to apply not already in Europe takes England's place in third round. Not all seven teams to express their willingness to participate have done so publicly but it is believed Blackburn, Bolton, Everton and Middlesbrough are among them.

I knew I wasn't going mad.

http://www.itv-football.co.uk/Story/0,14272,6107_1120274,00.html

Does any other league do so well?

Mike.

PHB wrote:
    Probably because in the last 21 games he got 4 goals and 3 assists.
    This season, the highest place team he has scored against is Bolton, after that West Ham, the rest all in the bottom 10.
    The highest placed team he has an assist against is Spurs, after that West Ham, the rest all in the bottom 10.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but he isn't all he is made out to be by the english media.
    More rumour and mis-information from PHB. Did Frank Lampard not score against Liverpool in their 4-1 win at Anfield this season? Last time I looked Liverpool where higher placed than Bolton. Anyhow, don't let the truth get in the way of a good rumour. :rolleyes:

Ben Haim stupidly sent off for clumsy second yellow.

Like he did last year to win the title at the same ground.

Since when did Bolton go ahead of Liverpool? That also puts doubt over your assists allegation.
    They are not Jivin. And as for his "facts" of the European League places, he is also completely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I posted a link to the story in the Intertoto Cup thread but KdjaC deleted the thread. I can't find the link now.
    I think that thread was split into the "annual EL versus PL thread" or something like that.

Were Bolton placed higher than Liverpool when Chelsea played them in October?

Mike.

Blackjack wrote:
    I think that thread was split into the "annual EL versus PL thread" or something like that.

Yeah it was but the link was lost and the Intertoto part disappeared. I got it again anyway, cheers.

Just to point it out:
    Goals against:
    West Brom - 2
    Villa - 2
    Liverpool - 1
    Bolton - 2
    Everton - 1
    Brum - 2
    Portsmouth - 1
    Fulham - 1
    West Ham - 1
    Portsmouth - 1

Assists:
    Arsenal - 1
    Bolton - 2
    Brum - 1
    Newcaslte - 1
    Wigan - 1
    West Ham - 1

Indeed I missed the Arsenal assist and the Liverpool goal, but the point still stands.
    If you want to look at the stats, go to any fantasty premier league site and look for yourself.

Lampard had a great start to the season, largely against the lower teams, but for the rest of this season he has been decidedly average.

---
    and seventh placed Premiership team (Bolton) would join them.

Why is this true? I havn't heard this from anywhere else. Does this mean if Boro win the UEFA cup that England gains an extra UEFA cup spot?

If anyone wasn't watching... here's a trivia q for you.

Lampard is the first midfielder to score 15 goals in a Premiership season since... ?

PHB wrote:
    Indeed I missed the Arsenal assist and the Liverpool goal, but the point still stands.
    Haha. What a ridiculous statement. How does "the point still stand"?

Your point was that he hasn't scored a goal against a team higher than 7th. You were wrong. He also still has another game to play against Man U.

• Advertisement

FT	Bolton W.	0 - 2	Chelsea
      34'	Arsenal	0 - 0	West Bromwich A.
      34'	Everton	0 - 0	Tottenham H.
      34'	Fulham	2 - 1	Charlton Athletic
      34'	Newcastle U.	1 - 1	Wigan Athletic
      34'	Portsmouth	0 - 0	Middlesbrough
      34'	West Ham U.	1 - 0	Manchester C.

1-0 SPURS, Robbie Keane penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Lampard is the first midfielder to score 15 goals in a Premiership season since... ?

Matt Le Tissier ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

MrJoeSoap wrote:

He will be the first to get 15 ,Scholes and Pires previously scored 14 ?

He scored 20 goals in 1994-95, but someone has since scored 15 or more apparently. I'm not too sure now about the answer George Graham gave on PremPlus, it may very well have been wrong!
    Andrei Kanchelskis??

• Advertisement
Advertisement