Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easter Weekend Premiership fixtures Part 1 (14th, 15th & 16th)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hleb, what a goal! 1-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He scored 20 goals in 1994-95, but someone has since scored 15 or more apparently. I'm not too sure now about the answer George Graham gave on PremPlus, it may very well have been wrong!
    Andrei Kanchelskis??

wow, i'd be shocked by that...but i guess it could be true...they wouldnt let him lie about it, would they ? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Haha. What a ridiculous statement. How does "the point still stand"?

Your point was that he hasn't scored a goal against a team higher than 7th. You were wrong. He also still has another game to play against Man U.
    Because he says it stands, apparently. He's actually getting more annoying than funny now tbh.

Well I've checked a few places and it seems he "only" got 14 league goals that season! Le Tissier would be kinda hard to class as a midfielder so I'd say MisterAnarchy could well be right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well I've checked a few places and it seems he "only" got 14 league goals that season! Le Tissier would be kinda hard to class as a midfielder so I'd say MisterAnarchy could well be right!

pfft, hes an attacking midfielder....very attacking ;)

Besides, hes Le God, hes everywhere :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hleb, what a goal! 1-0!
    No more than he deserved, he was fantastic in the first half. Energetic and always looking to play someone in - had a nice interchange with Diaby and again with Gilberto too. Plus he tracked back and harried really well whenever he lost the ball (which is unfortunately a problem he still has, but he's improving with every game now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Newcastle 2-1 Wigan Titus Bramble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Haha. What a ridiculous statement. How does "the point still stand"?

Your point was that he hasn't scored a goal against a team higher than 7th. You were wrong. He also still has another game to play against Man U.

The point is not that he hasn't scored a goal against a team higher than 7th, the point is that he is incredible against the lower teams of the league, but when playing the top teams, he tends to be nowhere near as effective. His game changes depending on who he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bramble?????? Off his arse I take it? :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    The point is not that he hasn't scored a goal against a team higher than 7th, the point is that he is incredible against the lower teams of the league, but when playing the top teams, he tends to be nowhere near as effective. His game changes depending on who he plays.
    Most quality players will play better or more effectively againt teams of lesser ability. It stands to reason tbh. As for Lampard somehow "changing" his game to some extent, that's pure hokem. Better teams have better players, hence teams who play against them have less space, time on the ball etc... It's what soccer is about.

• Advertisement

1-0 pompey gary o'neil 54 min

arsenal 1-1 west brom quashie 72 min!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

West Brom have equalized ...:D :D:D

2-1 arsenal Pires 75 min. hes only on as a sub. dreadful defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

gah the gunners back in front .. 2-1

Bergkamp scores on Bergkamp day.

City loose again, 6 games in a row I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pompey out of the relegation zone!
    I think I might just put a bet on Boro to win their next game, since they always seem to follow up a win with a defeat and vice versa. I'd must dig up the stats throughout the season, I'd say the pattern is uncanny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Twas a Bergkamp classic too - how extraordinarily apt!

All 3 subs were involved in the second too, Adebayor Bergy and Bobby combined to bumble the ball home.

Pity the whole Orange thing didn't really take off too well - I'd envisioned the whole crowd as just one seething mass of Orange, freaking out West Brom no end...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Hobart wrote:
    Most quality players will play better or more effectively againt teams of lesser ability. It stands to reason tbh. As for Lampard somehow "changing" his game to some extent, that's pure hokem. Better teams have better players, hence teams who play against them have less space, time on the ball etc... It's what soccer is about.
    I have to agree. Most players play better against inferior opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolutely mr_angry, infact there are very few players in the world who play the same against all teams, but those that do are the truly world class players. I'm not saying Lampard isn't a great player, but the reason some people doubt him is because of this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, 14 goals is something to be happy about for a midfielder.

id be happy if our forwards get that amount.

frank lampard is a class act. some people keep saying he is not, but he produces the goods week in and week out. hes always strong, and hes always scoring.

personally, i think hes been one of the outstanding players in the premier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the chelsea formation is layed out in such a way that it requires the midfielders to score for the team to win.

i'd compare lampard to someone sitting on a bike thats not moving, he'd fall over if it wasnt for his kick-stand. lampards kickstand is makelelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

el rabitos wrote:
    the chelsea formation is layed out in such a way that it requires the midfielders to score for the team to win.

i'd compare lampard to someone sitting on a bike thats not moving, he'd fall over if it wasnt for his kick-stand. lampards kickstand is makelelle
    Pity football isn't a one man game, really.

A great footballer doesn't have to be one who wins games by themselves, like Maradona or Best. They can be the ones that ensure their team gets the results week in, week out. Makelele would be one such player - he's been, like Terry, one of the rocks that Chelsea's seaon is built on. And while Lampard hasn't been playing as well recently as compared to how he was at the start of this season, and most of last, he's still playing pretty well. He fits into the Chelsea team almost perfectly. And thats what it is; a TEAM game. So what if he depends on Makelele to free him of his defensive duties? Goalkeepers rely on their outfield players to keep the opposition at bay for most of the match. Strikers rely on good service. Can midfield players not rely on the rest of their team mates?

Had they the chance, Man Utd, Arsenal and most other PL teams would snap him up without a moments hesitation. Same goes for most clubs in the world.

He's not the best mid in England. But he is one of the most effective. And he's a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Villa v Brum on now, very open start

Villa - Brum KO 12.00

Mike.

• Advertisement

1 - 0 Baros, very open, and more goals should be coming.

1-0 Baros, super start!

1-1 Sutton! Scrappy goal but I'll take it. With West Broms defeat yesterday I'm relying on Brum to catch Pompey!

Early Liverpool news - Gerrard seems to be out with hamstring tweak while Crouch is being rested. So that means Alonso/Sissoko midfield and Fowler/Mori upfront I guess.

Mike.

Goalmouth scramble, and an amazing goal by young Cahill - 2-1 villa

• Advertisement

2-1 Cahill, unbelievable strike! Worthy of winning any game.

3-1 Baros!

3-1 Baros, game over. Thank you and Goodnight, Brum going down now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

andrewie wrote:
    3-1 Baros!

Good move, nice finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Very sweet for Villa - virtually sealing Birmingham's relegation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

villa win a game.
    next thing you know,m it will be snowing in hell, and city fans will be going to support utd in europe next season :)

Jaysus that Cahill goal gets better every time I see it! And they say white men can't jump...

NoelRock wrote:
    Very sweet for Villa - virtually sealing Birmingham's relegation....

Theres only three points in it. It certainly ain't over.

Birmingham were really unlucky I thought! I thought the 3 Villa goals all came against the run of play, Brum dominated parts of the match. What a goal from Gary Cahill though! Who can remember a better goal from a centre-back?

Blackburn v Liverpool ko - 2.30pm

Gerrard out with a tight hamstring and Crouch rested.

• Advertisement

Liverpool team

Reina
    Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Warnock
    Cisse--Alonso--Sissoko-Riise
    ----Morientes--Fowler

Subs Dudek, Kromkamp, Garcia, Kewell, Traore.

Blackburn

Friedel
    Neill--Nelson--Khizanvilli--Gray
    Bentley-Reid-Savage-Pederson
    Dickov-Bellamy

Subs Peter, Kuqi, Emerton, Mokoeria, Enckelman

Mike.

Blackburn v Liverpool ko - 2.30pm

Gerrard out with a tight hamstring and Crouch rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Cheers, was too lazy to record it myself!

1-0 Fowler, very dubious offside call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRoooooooooooooooooooooooooobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFoooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Gwan God. He's dangerously approaching prolific at this stage. :)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    1-0 Fowler, very dubious offside call.

If they had left the rules as they were years ago, it would'nt even be an issue, Ciisse would have bee flagged straight away, but when they go dicking with these things they are creating these situations.

But you take what you can get at the end of the day.

4 in 4 starts from the past it striker ;)

No Matter how much closing down Blackburn try in Midfield, Alonso is unreal.

very lucky to be ahead. Cisse went to play the ball so the linesman should have put up his flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Liberal application of the off side rule there alright

• Advertisement

Dubious decision alright, but the Fowler/Morientes combination looking impressive again. I think they've looked the best combination since Christmas.
    Even enough game so far.

Advertisement