Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crash query

• 13-04-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭

hi all,hope someone here can help me through their own experience or that of someone they know. a woman ran into me and my habana custom in lucan on tuesday morning,we swapped details etc,all hunky dory,got an estimate today for €1900 for the damage to the bike and she's going to put it through her insurance.what i would like to know is how long this process will take,i've heard some horror stories over the years of claims taking months to go through and whats the likelyhood of the bike being written off seing as it cost €2600 when new and with depriciation would be less than the estimate for repair!!! i'm very attatched to my little bike and would hate to lose her,how hard are the assesors for the insurance companies when it comes to these cases!?! sorry for all the questions but figured this would be the best place to find the info i need.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Sorry to hear your troubles, I know the feeling. Anyhoo, I would hope that you'd get sorted fairly shortly if you're not injured. If you hurt yourself anywhere, don't finalise the claim until you're happy that any injury isn't long-term or whatever. But if there's only property damage I see no reason for the claim to be settled fairly quickly.

As regards writing off etc, I can't advise - maybe you're just going to have to wait and see about that unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

thanks for the reply prenderb,no physical damage to me(fortunately!),just the bike,hoping to get it sorted out quickly so i can enjoy the summer on my wheels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

well if she has admited being at fault and has said it to the grads in all. It wont take long. However if there is question as to who is at fault it might take a few months...

Mine took 22months from time of crash to getting the court case. (cage drive feel asleep at the while, but I went into the back of him after he came to a dead stop from hitting an other car)

But glad to hear you are ok. That is the main thing. A bike (no matter how loved) can be replaced.. you cant.
    As for the bike being a write off. That can only be said if the bikes frame has been cracked/warped other than that. They should fork out for the repairs. Just make sure to get a writen quote and list of parts needing to be replaced. So the assesor has it easier. He/she is more likely to agree to the costs if it is all done over the board and nothing dodgy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

thanks sutty,it was her fault,she admitted she did'nt see me coming,she got impatient and jumped from the entrance of the estate to the main road without seeing me despite headlight being on and a hi-vis vest. got a quote from bikeworld so its all there in black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're lucky, that could have been much worse. I always fear the idiots just pulling out in front of me, stories like this remind me why :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Same thing happened me, quote for repairs was €2500. She admitted liability, but the insurance company were slow. I start ringing them every day, got the check pretty quick then. Get the reference number the insurance company used to track your claim, and quote it each time you ring. Once she admitted liability it should be quick.

You'll also be VERY nervious coming up to cars that are about to pull out. I always slow down now when i'm driving up to a junction and cars are waiting to pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Everyone should be wary of cars at junctions as a matter of course. However, there is of course a danger of slowing down so much that they decide you are "letting them out" in which case you sort of encourage them out in front of you.....

Advertisement