Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Evanescence Album (The Open Door)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cool!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Me thinks its going nowhere without moody behind it.That guy knows how to write a great comercial metal/esque record.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That is some drama to say the least!
    Good article, I love the sound of Lacrimosa.
    It's also a vampire girl I liked in a book...

Anyway, Operatic eh, nice.
    I'm glad she is doing more what she wants to do on this album, not just aimed at commerciality etc.
    I didn't know any of that stuff about the manager, sexual assault?! :eek:

Mozart cover...I'll be buying this one!

patricide wrote:
    Me thinks its going nowhere without moody behind it.That guy knows how to write a great comercial metal/esque record
    Eh, that's why I am glad he is not writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Posted by Amy Lee on evboard.com
    Jan 06
    Hey guys.
    I know everyone is dying to hear whats going on, and its been a little while since I've posted. There's some stuff I really shouldn't talk about right now, but I want you to know that the record is coming out beautifully. Through all of the scary and insane drama over the last 6 months, there has also been alot of good- I feel like a new person. As most of you already know, Terry had a stroke in November. A small chunk of this recording process was spent in the neurology unit at ULCA. Every time he would wake up all he could talk about was getting out of the hospital and playing guitar. He actually had us bring his polka-dot Randy Rhodes guitar to the hospital. Its funny- after being stuck on lyrics for a month on one song, I remember finally writing them at the foot of Terry's bed in intensive care. Its wild how life inspires you- again reminding me that we have no control over anything. It's been 2 months, and Terry has made miraculous progress. He is in the studio with us right now, and everything is going ahead as planned. We are certain that he will make a full recovery- he's too stubborn to settle for anything less. Meanwhile, we were (and are) going through firing our manager, and as you can see (all over the freaking internet), that hasn't been very easy for us either. BUT it always hurts to break through to the other side- to make the changes you have to make to help yourself, and I already feel so good. Weird. I feel better than I have in years. I love my album, I love my band, and I'm grateful for our lives. This album is meaning more and more to me as we finish it. Most of it was written when we came into the studio, but much more has poured out through all of this, making it that much better- that much more passionate. We will be finished with mixing and everything by March first. THAT MEANS it will be early fall when the album is actually on the shelf. We're thinking August. I hope you can understand the delay, and I promise the music will be worth it. I just can't wait to share it with everyone. Thank you all for being so patient and supportive. We love you!
    -Amy

March 06
    Hey guys. Terry and I are sitting here in the control room at the studio- well be done mixing next week! I can hardly believe it, weve been working on this album for so long. The stuff sounds so good... Wow, what a trip this has been. I just wanted to say hi, check in with you and let you know that Terry is doing really well (he is downloading pantera ringtones right now and trying to get one of us to call him), Fortman is ruling it (in deep thought at the mixing board) and I am trying to figure out the order of the songs for the album. Its going to be hard to hold this music in all summer. haha! Terry just said to thanks for all you guys' support, and all the kind words. I really want to thank you guys again for being so patient- i know its gonna be worth it. Hang in there! Ill keep you guys posted.
    love
    amy and terry

Sorry to double post...this is for Tar
    EVANESCENCE Singer Sues Former Manager For 'Negligence', 'Sexual Assault And Battery' - Dec. 7, 2005

Singer Amy Lee of EVANESCENCE has sued her former manager, Dennis Rider of Rider Management, for breach of fiduciary duty, professional negligence, conversion, sexual assault and battery, and other claims.

According to the complaint, which was filed today (Dec. 7) in Los Angeles Superior Court, Lee retained Rider to serve as her personal manager commencing on or about September 5, 2002. As her manager, "Rider owed Lee the highest fiduciary duty to promote Lee's career, to look out for her best interests and to take care of her business. Instead, Rider has neglected Lee's career and business, and has focused his efforts on having extramarital affairs, hiding them from his wife, becoming intoxicated during business meetings, physically abusing women and boasting about it, making repeated unwelcome sexual advances toward Lee, receiving fees in excess of what was provided for in his management agreement, and using Lee's corporate credit card to purchase lavish gifts for his mistress — without Lee's knowledge or consent — including an $18,000 automobile and a week-long vacation in Florida."

Lee claims in her complaint that "Rider has made repeated overt, unwelcome sexual advances to Lee (his client). On one occasion he put his head in Lee's lap and ran his hand up her leg, when she sat next to him on a couch to listen to a demo of songs for her next album. On a different occasion, Rider put his hand on Lee's leg while he sat next to her on an airplane — where she was captive to his advances. On a third occasion, Rider told Lee that he wanted to perform a gynecological examination on her."

Lee is seeking "general and special damages in an amount according to proof at trial" as well as "punitive or exemplary damages." She is also asking to be reimbursed "for all unauthorized and excessive expenditures" and attorneys' fees.

Download a copy of Lee's 21-page complaint against Rider at this location (.PDF file, 4.3 MB).

As previously reported, Rider filed a lawsuit against Lee last week over alleged unpaid commissions. Under the agreement, Rider Management was entitled to 20 percent of gross earnings. He is asking for a minimum of $10 million.

EVANESCENCE's major-label debut, "Fallen", has sold 6.36 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=45269

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heh, really gotta start checking that forum out.
    Anywho, it's sounding good!
    I hope it doesn't disappoint but I don't imagine it will. When people are happy, they make worse music. :)

EDIT: Woah, what a bastard!
    Talk about being a corrupt and well, bad, manager.
    Hw did he hope to get away with the CC thing, or well any of it. They were even paying him more than he was entitled to as it stood.
    Any news in the months since that?
    Well, I suppose these things take time.

no news. Amy cant talk about it as its still going through the courts.

Ah, that makes sense.
    I hope she brings out another dvd.
    /random thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm not an evanescence fan but this line cought my eye:

"i don't want to insult my first record..."

says it all tbh

i'm not an evanescence fan but this line cought my eye:

"i don't want to insult my first record..."

says it all tbh
    I don't follow.

• Advertisement

I think projectmayhem is trying to highlight that Amy refers to Fallen as her first album and not "the bands" or even "her and Bens" first album. However Projectmayhem is missing the point. Amy and Ben wrote Fallen...it was theirs...now there is no Ben in the context of Evanescence so therefore she can truly say its "hers" in reference to the band.

Nightwish wrote:
    I think projectmayhem is trying to highlight that Amy refers to Fallen as her first album and not "the bands" or even "her and Bens" first album. However Projectmayhem is missing the point. Amy and Ben wrote Fallen...it was theirs...now there is no Ben in the context of Evanescence so therefore she can truly say its "hers" in reference to the band.
    Oh I follow that, what I don't follow is him picking on the word my. If I was in a band I would still call it my first album, when referring to it.
    i would call it 'our' album when the band were with me.

i was picking on the fact that she refers to it as her own work, rather then a collaborative effort. so there's bad blood between her and ben moody (what an ironic name :D), he still wrote most of the stuff apparently... if i was him i'd be fairly pissed off that she's claiming it to be her work

Going Under

Amy Lee wrote the song about a previous emotionally and physically damaging relationship. The song was the last song written for Fallen and was originally plugged as the first single had Bring Me to Life not been put onto the Daredevil soundtrack. It became the second single

Bring Me To Life

Amy Lee became inspired to write that song after she was sitting in a restaurant. Somebody walked up to her table and asked her something to the effect of “Are you happy with your life”?

Everybody's Fool

Carrie Lee’s (Amy's sister) fascination with pop stars such as Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera was the inspiration for the song. Amy Lee said that Carrie, 8 at the time, started to dress as those two superstars and that it angered Amy.

My Immortal

Ben Moody wrote the original in full when he was 15 years old. It is the second song that he wrote for the band. In the later versions of the song, Amy Lee is credited to have written the bridge and the coinciding piano part to the song.

Haunted

Amy Lee wrote this song based on a short story by Ben.

Tourniquet

Rocky Gray is credited with writing the song and the rest of the band revamped it for Fallen.

Imaginary

Amy Lee wrote the song and it apparently refers to her old room. The song is interpreted as finding a place to escape personal troubles and the outside world.

Taking Over Me

John LeCompt is credited with writing this song. Originally recorded for the 2001-2002 demos.

Hello

The most personal song ever written by Amy Lee as it was written for Bonnie Lee, Amy’s deceased sister. Bonnie Lee died in 1987 at the age of 3 from an undisclosed illness. Amy Lee was 6 at the time. This is the only Fallen song that has never been performed live to date.

My Last Breath

written by: A. Lee, B. Moody, and D. Hodges

Whisper

written by: A. Lee and B. Moody

All info from evboard.com

As you can see there was a collaborative effort behind some of the songs on Fallen but Amy was the main musical "driving force" behind it. Ben did not write most of the stuff, anything Amy wrote he changed to make it more commercial, therfore he is mentioned in the writing credits. He has claimed he wrote songs that he didnt (such as Haunted)
    hahaha. wow. I know Ben's claimed he wrote the lyrics to haunted more than once, (in front of me even) but how did that get to you guys? Is it in an interview or something? funny. I don't care. Anyway, to answer the question, that IS my real, real lyric journal and those are my real, real words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Yippie!
    Can't wait, I've been waiting for this album for a long time, but they had so much drama over the last year. Ben leaving, the stupid manager and then the guitarist got a heart-attack. Well I think it was a heart attack.

Patricide wrote:
    Me thinks its going nowhere without moody behind it.That guy knows how to write a great comercial metal/esque record.
    http://www.evanescence.com/

You can see six of the songs she wrote here on the original paper!
    They are the ones she wrote on her own. The others were either written with her or written by those people Nightwish mentioned.
    I wonder what revamped means, heh.
    Anyway, Ben is far from writing most of the stuff.

BlueSpiral wrote:
    Yippie!
    Can't wait, I've been waiting for this album for a long time, but they had so much drama over the last year. Ben leaving, the stupid manager and then the guitarist got a heart-attack. Well I think it was a heart attack.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51207851&postcount=5 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

They are the ones she wrote on her own. The others were either written with her or written by those people Nightwish mentioned.

fair enough but that doesn't mean she sat there and wrote it all herself. lyrics are one element to a band. did she pick up the guitar, bass and drums and write all that stuff too?

(btw i'm not having a dig, i just picked up on that one bit :D)

fair enough but that doesn't mean she sat there and wrote it all herself. lyrics are one element to a band. did she pick up the guitar, bass and drums and write all that stuff too?

Oh sorry I meant to quote patricide!

• Advertisement

She writes the music on piano and also playes the piano parts in songs which have it. Ben wrote the guitar parts where necessary or where credited. The new album was co-wrote by Amy (lyrics and some melodies) and Terry (melodies) with the rest of the guys adding their two cents to it.

Nightwish wrote:
    She writes the music on piano and also playes the piano parts in songs which have it. Ben wrote the guitar parts where necessary or where credited. The new album was co-wrote by Amy (lyrics and some melodies) and Terry (melodies) with the rest of the guys adding their two cents to it.

fair enough but my point still stands, it wasn't HER album

It is hers. It was hers and Bens. Ben walked away from it now its hers.

Nightwish wrote:
    It is hers. It was hers and Bens. Ben walked away from it now its hers.

so because he walked away suddenly his work isn't his? if i was him i'd be pissed off at that... i've just never seen anyone from a band claim the work as their own. seems fairly big-headed to me tbh

Ben said he was destroying the band, so he left. He has said before he has left it all behind.
    As much as they can't blame me for who I am as a person, I can't blame [Amy], or the rest of them for who they are. I totally love them and have absolute respect for them. If I didn't, instead of jumping ship, I would have taken it down. I would much rather see them succeed, because I have nothing but respect for them.
    Part of it, absolutely. [Amy] is much more creative than I am, I'll be the first to admit it. I am a bit more commercial minded, I guess. I like structure in songs, and I like making songs people can adhere to. I still like to be creative, but she is more educated musically, and she wanted to explore that. I wanted to do that, but keep in the confines of what I knew people expected from Evanescence

www.mtvnews.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stranded

The only song she wrote on her own was "Breathe No More". She just recopied that stuff into her notebook.

Ben wrote most EVERYTHING Ev did. He is more talented than Amy, even if he doesn't think so. Amy just...she's not that great on her own.

stranded wrote:
    The only song she wrote on her own was "Breathe No More". She just recopied that stuff into her notebook.

Ben wrote most EVERYTHING Ev did.
    Where is your source for this

edit:Where is your source for this Nonsense.

Ben Moody wrote, My Immortal, he took part in writing My Last Breath and Whisper. How is that nearly all.
    He is more talented than Amy, even if he doesn't think so. Amy just...she's not that great on her own.
    He writes songs for Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne...you regard them as masterpieces?

Also, apparently Avril is the best...
    Ben Moody wrote:
    "Avril can write songs faster than both Amy and me," he said. "I would just start playing and she would come up with these killer melodies and the most clever hooks. It's just ridiculous. We wrote one song about finding your boyfriend cheating on you and every four lines ended with the most clever statement. I was just like, 'How do you do that?' "

Oh and lol.
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1505754/20050714/story.jhtml
    :D

He writes songs for Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne...you regard them as masterpieces?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1505754/20050714/story.jhtml
    :D

do you regard evanescences (?) work as masterpieces then?

as for the story, fair play to him. he's happy writing million-dollar tracks for pseudo-punk pop stars, and his solo record has some fairly notable people on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stranded

Where is your source for this

edit:Where is your source for this Nonsense.

Ben Moody wrote, My Immortal, he took part in writing My Last Breath and Whisper. How is that nearly all.

He wrote Anywhere, Lies, Away From Me, Anything For You, and Understanding (both versions). Parts of Bleed, Surrender, he wrote most of Whisper, Even in Death, Where Will You Go, Soltidue, Give Unto Me, Forgive Me, Exodus. He also composed, with David Hodges, Eternal. He also made "The End" and "Ascension of the Spirit" on his own.

Which is most everything Ev did. Now, if you'd actually get your facts right...actually, quick question: do you know anything about Evanescence? Do you even know about Origin and the two EPs?

"He writes songs for Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne...you regard them as masterpieces?"

The Avril one is good, and the two Clarkson songs are very good as well. I wonder, do you like being rude?

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51210157&postcount=15 tbh

And yes I have heard of Origin as I have both a bootleg and an original copy of it. I also have bootlegs of Sound Asleep, Evanescence EP and Not For Your Ears compilation.

The songs you have listed are not "most of everything" they have written.

Partly Written By Ben
    Whisper
    Lies
    Missing
    Forgive Me
    Eternal
    So Close
    Where Will You Go?
    Away From Me
    Even In Death
    Field of Innocence
    Exodus