Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Evanescence Album (The Open Door)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

The proof of who wrote what will be available in August by the sounds of it! The proof will be in the music. But I think personally that the termoil between two songwriters can be a hugely creative force in a band. It only ever holds together for so long, and neither tend to go on to do much after that. I cite The Smiths and Suede as examples. I am sure there are plenty more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

stranded wrote:
    He wrote Anywhere, Lies, Away From Me, Anything For You, and Understanding (both versions). Parts of Bleed, Surrender, he wrote most of Whisper, Even in Death, Where Will You Go, Soltidue, Give Unto Me, Forgive Me, Exodus. He also composed, with David Hodges, Eternal. He also made "The End" and "Ascension of the Spirit" on his own.
    I am talking about this album..you know...fallen.
    That is why I did not mention those songs, most of which are combined efforts.
    Which is most everything Ev did. Now, if you'd actually get your facts right...
    So pray tell, how many did he write on his own?
    actually, quick question: do you know anything about Evanescence? Do you even know about Origin and the two EPs?
    Yes, I have them.
    I think there is only one thing that they have done(that I am aware of) that I don't have atm...
    The only song she wrote on her own was "Breathe No More". She just recopied that stuff into her notebook

Ben wrote most EVERYTHING Ev did. He is more talented than Amy, even if he doesn't think so. Amy just...she's not that great on her own.
    Where did you get all of this from?

The Avril one is good, and the two Clarkson songs are very good as well. I wonder, do you like being rude?
    I'm just trying to see what you think good writing is. We obviously have different opinions on that.

I don't like being rude. I like being a condescending elitist.
    Oh and don't take me too seriously, I'm just really upset atm. Trying to keep anger out of my posts...

do you regard evanescences (?) work as masterpieces then?
    Nope, just saying what he wrote after is worse imo - if he wrote all the evanescence stuff. I wanted to see what s/he regards as good. Now I know.

Clearly we have different opinions about what is good as she hates Nightwish and likes that avril lavigne and kelly clarkson stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I'm quite frankly surprised that anyone is making any kind of big deal about this band, no matter what face you put on it (A pop-goth chick, a pop-punk princess, a bouncy blonde hussie) it's the same bloody thing; music contrived so people who watch MTV will buy it (and in this case they think this is somehow alternative music/metal, but since when did everything with distorted guitars become such?). Not much more to it than that, there would be very little real thought or emotion put in to this stuff (despite what they'll tell you, they do have to sell the product), thus most of the real thought goes into "now just what will make the kids buy this..." Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Who cares, they're awful IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stranded

Nightwish wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51210157&postcount=15 tbh

And yes I have heard of Origin as I have both a bootleg and an original copy of it. I also have bootlegs of Sound Asleep, Evanescence EP and Not For Your Ears compilation.

The songs you have listed are not "most of everything" they have written.

Partly Written By Ben
    Whisper
    Lies
    Missing
    Forgive Me
    Eternal
    So Close
    Where Will You Go?
    Away From Me
    Even In Death
    Field of Innocence
    Exodus
    October
    Bleed
    Ascension of the Spirit
    The End

Written solely By Ben
    Understanding
    Anywhere

all info from evboard.com
    Did you not see my above post? Ben wrote "Anything For You" on his own.

BTW, "Not For Your Ears" is not an Ev CD. It is a bootleg CD that Ev NEVER did. BTW, "Ascension of the Spirit" and "The End" are Ben's work ALONE. Amy didn't help, and David wasn't in the band at the time.

EDIT: You know what we both forgot? "Farther Away", part of it was Ben's work, but I know that song was mostly Amy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I agree with lighof and bolbill, dont see the what the fuss is about. If the lead singer wasnt a woman with some white make-up, nobody would of heard of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Davei141 wrote:
    I agree with lighof and bolbill, dont see the what the fuss is about. If the lead singer wasnt a woman with some white make-up, nobody would of heard of them.
    That is if you are some idiot that bases what they like on looks.
    i don't know anybody that does anyway.

Are you serious? even on this forum, how many "omg i love evanescence amy lee is like sooo friggin hot!!!" is on the other evanescence thread? Dont say people dont go for image, the "punk/goth rock chick" image pulls in the money.

Davei141 wrote:
    Are you serious? even on this forum, how many "omg i love evanescence amy lee is like sooo friggin hot!!!" is on the other evanescence thread?
    So what if she is hot?
    Somebody saying she is hot does not mean they like the band because
    she is hot.
    Otherwise, I would like a **** load of absolute ****e like avril lavigne etc.
    Dont say people dont go for image, the "punk/goth rock chick" image pulls in the money.
    People do. They are called idiots.
    /Me pleasures himself to man o war.

So what if she is hot?
    Somebody saying she is hot does not mean they like the band because
    she is hot.

You know it happens.
    Otherwise, I would like a **** load of absolute ****e like avril lavigne etc.

Avril Lavigne only sells records because of the "punk rock chick" image, its my opinion that evanescence would of dropped off the face of the earth had it not been for Amy Lee's "goth chick" image.

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote:
    You know it happens.
    I didn't say it doesn't. Some people are like that.
    Never met one after the age of fourteen though.

Avril Lavigne only sells records because of the "punk rock chick" image, its my opinion that evanescence would of dropped off the face of the earth had it not been for Amy Lee's "goth chick" image.
    I don't believe albums go platinum six times, selling 12 million copies and stay in the top 50 for a year because the girl singing is goodlooking.

Maybe they think you are right and picked an ironic name for the band.

I didn't say it doesn't. Some people are like that.
    Never met one after the age of fourteen though.

Id say it stretches right across the teens tbh.
    I don't believe albums go platinum six times, selling 12 million copies and stay in the top 50 for a year because the girl singing is goodlooking.

Avril Lavinge's "Let Go" sold 15 million worldwide. Was that because of her "talent" or image?
    Maybe they think you are right and picked an ironic name for the band.

Guess they didnt know how well the image would catch on.

Davei141 wrote:
    Avril Lavinge's "Let Go" sold 15 million worldwide. Was that because of her "talent" or image?
    Clearly, who are you or I to say otherwise?
    Different stokes for different folks. ;)

Guess they didnt know how well the image would catch on.
    Indeed, they had a rocky start..quick change the name to Evanescence... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

stranded wrote:
    Did you not see my above post? Ben wrote "Anything For You" on his own.

BTW, "Not For Your Ears" is not an Ev CD. It is a bootleg CD that Ev NEVER did. BTW, "Ascension of the Spirit" and "The End" are Ben's work ALONE. Amy didn't help, and David wasn't in the band at the time.

EDIT: You know what we both forgot? "Farther Away", part of it was Ben's work, but I know that song was mostly Amy.
    I am aware of the origins of the Not For Your Ears compilation. I KNOW its only a fan compilation and I know it contains the song You thats not actually an Evanescence song but an Amy song. Spare me the lecture on their past releases, because I already know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MarneX

"He wrote Anywhere, Lies, Away From Me, Anything For You, and Understanding (both versions). Parts of Bleed, Surrender, he wrote most of Whisper, Even in Death, Where Will You Go, Soltidue, Give Unto Me, Forgive Me, Exodus. He also composed, with David Hodges, Eternal. He also made "The End" and "Ascension of the Spirit" on his own.

Which is most everything Ev did."

Im sorry but no!They wrote alot more songs!Im just saying!And theres their new album so..that would just make the numbers even further apart.Hi im new!heeeeeeeeeeeehe dont ask!

Advertisement